BeatrizAguilar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

It's called Hallaca, not Tamal

As Christmas approaches, it's time to prepare to go shopping and cook delicious dishes and desserts. In Venezuela, each family member makes their purchases to guarantee that all the ingredients of the hallaca are ready for the day in which this old recipe will be elaborated. Plantain leaves, yellow cornmeal, oil, several meats between chicken, beef and / or pork, red wine, onoto or better known as "achiote", red pepper, sweet pepper, raisins, capers, green olives and others elements are part of La hallaca.

stew of the hallacastew of the hallaca

In many countries there are similar foods where plantain or corn leaves are used and Tamal is usually the most famous recipe. The Tamal can be made with rice or corn, both ground, while the hallaca, the original, can only be prepared with corn dough and its color should always be yellow.

dough of the Hallacadough of the Hallaca

There are different types of tamales: Mexicans, Panamanians, Salvadorans, Colombians, Ecuadorians, etc .; but when you hear the word "hallaca" you only think of a plate: a dough full of many things and wrapped with green leaves as a gift, one that smells very good and tastes very good. And you think of Venezuela, with its music "gaitas", ham bread, sweet of green papaya, and Ponche Crema (a drink made with eggs and rum).

Hallacas envolvedHallacas envolved

Preparing Hallaca is an opportunity to get together with your loved ones, friends or family, on vacation. There is always a person who makes the Hallaca as an expert and the other people around the table learn how to put and spread the dough on the sheet; how to refill with the stew, how to bend without breaking the corn dough and, finally, how to close and tie the hallaca. This is a short video with the necessary steps to elaborate the Hallaca.

Orthographically this dish can be spelled: hallaca or hayaca, both forms are correct. Some people say that it means "from here or there" (de aquí -here- o de allá -there). Some hallacas can be filled of vegetables or fish, depending from the Venezuelan region where they were made. In the Andean region people put the chickpea in the hallaca as a decoration, in the center of Venezuela they put the onion, the potatoes and the carrots, in the east they put the eggs; It is a matter of taste. There is a song that  says like that: "Digan lo que digan, no discuto más. La mejor hallaca, la hace mi mamá". (Whatever they say, I discuss no more. The best hallaca does it my mom). Although I know how to cook Hallacas, my mother does the best.

hallaca uncoveredhallaca uncovered

Beatriz Aguilar | bandera-de-venezuela-imagen-animada-0001| Instagram
Venezuela
13 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: It's called Hallaca, not Tamal

Hi @BeatrizAguilar,

Thanks for sharing, this looks very tasty.

I would definitely try the one with fish, as I`m in love with them. The Hungarian tradition is a bit different, we have fish soup, stuffed cabbage, fried fish, and lots of sweet.

I wish you Happy Holidays!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

@BeatrizAguilar

Interesting post on Hallaca.

Thanks sharing with us.

Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev
Level 10

ধন্যবাদ আপনাকে আমাদের সাথে আপনাদের খাবার শেয়ার করার জন্য। রন্ধনপ্রণালী  একটু ভিন্ন তবে বেশ মজাদার খাবার মনে হল @BeatrizAguilar

Mahabub Hasan
Level 9

Thank you @Petra_M @aaryesdee @MahabubMunna

I would love for you to tag me in your publications about the traditional food that you eat during the celebration dates at your tables.
Fish is very present in the Christmas menu of many countries, especially cod and seafood. Although I've never tasted a seafood hallaca, because the dough is black and they paint it with squid ink 😓
Happy holidays for everyone!

Level 10

@BeatrizAguilar

Certainly, I shall keep in mind to tag you while posting about Food 👍

I have early posted a picture where the food is cooked in banana leaves. In India there are several other dishes cooked in leaves. We use mango leaves,jackfruit tree leaves, turmeric leaves, green bay leaves, pandan leaves etc.

Good to know that you are a Fooddie!

Thanks & Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev
Former Google Contributor

Hi @BeatrizAguilar,

Thanks for your reply. 

Feel free to check out the How is Christmas celebrated in 10 different countries post, if you would like to know more about Christmas around the world.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 9

@aaryesdee I scrolled down through all your publications and I stopped in this one: Authentic South Indian Food

All food look delicious!

Level 10

@BeatrizAguilar

Once again my sincere appreciation for your visit n comment. As a token of gesture, here another platter with several dishes. It's called " Thali' means a complete South Indian Meal. Commonly served during lunch and dinner.South Indian Thali mealSouth Indian Thali meal

R S Dev
Level 5

Wow, I like your post @BeatrizAguilar !!! I'm from Venezuela and I love the hallaca. ♡♡♡ Excellent.