ele's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8
Level 8

It’s January 2028. How will the Google Maps look like ten years from now?

If we project a decade from now, how will Google Maps looks like? As local guides, who best to imagine “a day in the life” for a Google Map user?

Here is my a day in a life scenario – what will you add?

It’s 6:27 in the morning, and Ele’s alarm clock rings. The time is determined by a combination of sleep patterns monitoring embedded in my mattress, traffic forecasting and the calendar application that shows a meeting downtown Cincinnati at 8am. All integrated via Google Home.

The Google map indicates that on Tuesdays, the traffic on I-71 will take 17 minutes if I leave by 7:10, or 34 minutes if I leave by 7:25. I better leave around 7:15.

I need to pick up a faucet replacement today. While I sip my coffee I search for Home Depot, and for the faucet type. Google maps now integrates the location with the inventory of the retailers, so I can see who has that item in stock, hopefully on my way back from work. The map app suggests a different location and retailer, “Faucets LTD” in the Kenwood Mall. They have the item in stock, their pricing is close to Home Depot, and best, is on my way back from work.

A nice feature of the maps is the indoor mapping – I can simply look at the location of “Faucets LTD”, and it shows me the exact location on the second floor, and even where best to park, what entrance and escalator to take to get there.  The 3D building rendering in the maps is getting better and better. Places like shopping malls and sporting venues are the primary beneficiaries of indoor mapping. The local guides were instrumental in the rendering and updating of the “Great indoors”.

As I drive to Kenwood Mall in the afternoon, my Google Maps alerts me that the parking D is now full, given an art exhibition that also started at the mall at 6. Real time updates on temporary structures and events is another benefit that is derived from crowdsourcing and real time Local Guides posting. My best bet is now parking C, with a different indoor path to my plumbing fixture. The good news – Goggle map shows that the faucet is still in inventory.  

This was my a day in a life scenario – what will you add?

4 comments
Level 9

Re: It’s January 2028. How will the Google Maps look like ten years from now?

@ele 🙂 

Ten Years in technology and internet Age is too much  , 

I think Google Maps will have more Features not invented yet ,

I think it will be integrated with all new cars and maybe we will have small flying cars after ten years , 

I like 3D building and real time updates 

Level 8
Level 8

@OSAMA Good adds. Adoption is now indeed in 5 to 10 year cycles for the early adopters (first 10%-25% of the population). 

I find the three year time frame too "operational", hence my ten year time frame. It frees us from the left brain, analytical thinking, and allows us to dream big.  

technology-adoption.jpg

Level 10

Yes @OSAMA i agree with you with real time updates on google maps but it is possible ?

and security purpose ? 

i don't know but sure that after 10 years google maps are very advance and more feature.

Thank You.

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+
Level 8
Level 8

@iDepp @OSAMA Nice add on real time updates. ioT will provide an endless stream of real time updates - from cars to video cameras to door counters. Google already has the platforms (stream video recognition, IoT) to analyze the data, the question now is how do you make it user friendly, and scale.