PansiaSahab's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Issue of Cottage.

Guys I have a concern regarding place added on Map.

Some people have added their private homes on maps with a category of "Cottage" & these are well published on map. (Cottage category is a valid category by term & condition of Google).

But in same time, anyone choose accomodation category, his address doesn't get reflected on map.

Here around my area, more than 50 private homes are listed in the category of Cottage.

Is it valid to let these accommodations published & being shown on map or could be edited to private home addresses?

Some of links are below:

Saharan Bhawan 4/1, Jutti Khera, Haryana 125103 094169 94049 https://maps.google.com/?cid=1729979768...

Jagrit Cottage Meena Bazaar, Mandi Dabwali, Haryana 125104 070151 51948 https://maps.google.com/?cid...

Beniwal House Mammer Khera, Haryana 125103 098123 07522 https://maps.google.com/?cid=878649254809832...

Mattu Dadu, Haryana, India
1 comment

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Issue of Cottage.

Hello @PansiaSahab,

Rental homes and properties are specifically prohibited from Maps.  It doesn't matter what category the user has decided to apply to the listing -- Cottage or Holiday Home or Hotel or Resort or Villa, etc. -- if it is a private home (which is usually very easy to see), it is not permitted on Maps.

The correct edit is "Doesn't Exist" (you first have to click on "Place is permanently closed or never existed".

On any given day in the US, I can easily delete 100 listings a day as quickly as I can make the mouse clicks!

See:  https://www.google.com/maps/search/Holiday+Home/@28.2998813,-81.470881,12z/data=!3m1!4b1

I offer you this information from my experience in deleting rental homes.

1.  You may find that they are relisted within a day or a few days after you delete them.   This can be frustrating.

2.  You may find that the owners will try different categories for the same rental home, trying to avoid deletion.  That is where you may find rental homes listed as "hotels" or "resorts".  The most absurd rental home listing I came across had the category "Hotel" with more than 100 reviews.  It was deleted.  Naturally, if there are legitimate hotels and resorts in the same area as the rental homes, one needs to be careful to not delete it -- albeit Google will likely not approve it anyway ; )

3. You may find that some owners will list their rental as a "Vacation Home Rental Agency" (if that category is available in your area.)  A legitimate business operating as a vacation home rental agency is entitled to use that category -- however what I have discovered is that some/many rental homeowners will simply decide to use that listing -- again to avoid deletion.  Likely they have looked over the Map and noticed that the Vacation Home Rental Agencies don't get deleted, so "hey, that's what I'm going to use as a category".  If the location is a private home and if their listing contains a link to "reserve now" (or whatever) -- it is a rental home scheme and should be deleted.

4. You may find that most rental homes are unclaimed listings and the deletion will be easily approved.  Unfortunately, you may find some rental homes have been claimed (they ought not to have been approved by GMB), and you may need to contact Google My Business (GMB) to get them removed.  I am still able to get a good number of claimed listings deleted  -- but that may depend on your history and trust level.  You may also find that some recently deleted listings become claimed listings. If Twitter is available in your area you can now contact Google My Business (GMB) via twitter https://twitter.com/GoogleMyBiz5.

5.  If you are one who has an interest in Local Guide contribution points, you need to know that there are no points awarded when removing information from the Map.  This, in my view, is a disincentive for those who are interested in points, as edits for deletion of rental homes, spam, places that need to be marked "private", and business with a virtual address (post office, UPS etc) are not rewarded.  And in my experience, these edits can be the most time consuming due to the amount of attention and checking that may be involved to be certain that the business should be deleted -- albeit some are obvious.   At the end of the day, there is the personal knowledge and satisfaction that one has made a better map.  I also can understand (perhaps) some of the reasons why Google would not want to offer an incentive to delete information from the map, as it could, I suppose, 'encourage' some bad actors to try to gain points by deleting legitimate POIs.

Post back with any further questions.

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

Re: Issue of Cottage.

Hello @PansiaSahab,

Rental homes and properties are specifically prohibited from Maps.  It doesn't matter what category the user has decided to apply to the listing -- Cottage or Holiday Home or Hotel or Resort or Villa, etc. -- if it is a private home (which is usually very easy to see), it is not permitted on Maps.

The correct edit is "Doesn't Exist" (you first have to click on "Place is permanently closed or never existed".

On any given day in the US, I can easily delete 100 listings a day as quickly as I can make the mouse clicks!

See:  https://www.google.com/maps/search/Holiday+Home/@28.2998813,-81.470881,12z/data=!3m1!4b1

I offer you this information from my experience in deleting rental homes.

1.  You may find that they are relisted within a day or a few days after you delete them.   This can be frustrating.

2.  You may find that the owners will try different categories for the same rental home, trying to avoid deletion.  That is where you may find rental homes listed as "hotels" or "resorts".  The most absurd rental home listing I came across had the category "Hotel" with more than 100 reviews.  It was deleted.  Naturally, if there are legitimate hotels and resorts in the same area as the rental homes, one needs to be careful to not delete it -- albeit Google will likely not approve it anyway ; )

3. You may find that some owners will list their rental as a "Vacation Home Rental Agency" (if that category is available in your area.)  A legitimate business operating as a vacation home rental agency is entitled to use that category -- however what I have discovered is that some/many rental homeowners will simply decide to use that listing -- again to avoid deletion.  Likely they have looked over the Map and noticed that the Vacation Home Rental Agencies don't get deleted, so "hey, that's what I'm going to use as a category".  If the location is a private home and if their listing contains a link to "reserve now" (or whatever) -- it is a rental home scheme and should be deleted.

4. You may find that most rental homes are unclaimed listings and the deletion will be easily approved.  Unfortunately, you may find some rental homes have been claimed (they ought not to have been approved by GMB), and you may need to contact Google My Business (GMB) to get them removed.  I am still able to get a good number of claimed listings deleted  -- but that may depend on your history and trust level.  You may also find that some recently deleted listings become claimed listings. If Twitter is available in your area you can now contact Google My Business (GMB) via twitter https://twitter.com/GoogleMyBiz5.

5.  If you are one who has an interest in Local Guide contribution points, you need to know that there are no points awarded when removing information from the Map.  This, in my view, is a disincentive for those who are interested in points, as edits for deletion of rental homes, spam, places that need to be marked "private", and business with a virtual address (post office, UPS etc) are not rewarded.  And in my experience, these edits can be the most time consuming due to the amount of attention and checking that may be involved to be certain that the business should be deleted -- albeit some are obvious.   At the end of the day, there is the personal knowledge and satisfaction that one has made a better map.  I also can understand (perhaps) some of the reasons why Google would not want to offer an incentive to delete information from the map, as it could, I suppose, 'encourage' some bad actors to try to gain points by deleting legitimate POIs.

Post back with any further questions.