DoriyaKiz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Ipoh's very own Taj Mahal, Kellie's Castle

Are you a fan of abandoned places? If you happen to be in Ipoh, there is a colonial-era mansion built more than 100 years ago near the outskirt, called Kellie's Castle.

IMG_20181102_142320.jpg

With a similar story to the Taj Mahal, Kellie's Castle was built by a wealthy man as a symbol of love to someone important to him. The castle was sadly not completed, as the owner, Scottish planter William Kellie-Smith, passed away before he could complete his work. More than 100 years on, Kellie's Castle now stands as a tourist attraction in Ipoh, a symbol of the colonial era that once defined Malaysia.

IMG_20181102_140332.jpg

Getting to Kellie's Castle requires a 30 to 45 minutes drive away from Ipoh. The castle sits alone on a hill, surrounded by the greenery of palm oil plantations. Visitors mostly visit the castle to admire the historical architecture of the place. You can also take a lot of great photos around the castle due to its unique and beautiful structure.

Of course, ghosts have also been rumoured to be seen at the castle. The castle boasts of many hidden staircases and legends say that there is an underground tunnel linking the castle with a nearby temple.

IMG_20181102_135818.jpg

If you do happen to visit Ipoh, do consider dropping by Kellie's castle. The place is serene and quiet, with a strangely nostalgic vibe to it.  Walking along the balcony and exploring the hidden staircases was quite an experience. 

However, my favourite part is being able to take pictures on the roof of the castle.

IMG_20181102_141246.jpg

You can see my Google review of Kellie's Castle at https://goo.gl/maps/xR1o3DcGurR2

Do you have any similar abandoned places that you enjoyed? Do share!

7 comments
Level 9

Rif.: Ipoh's very own Taj Mahal, Kellie's Castle

Hi @DoriyaKiz

Impressive place and castle in very good maintenance state. Thank you for share with us detailed info and nice photos

Carmine

Former Google Contributor

Re: Ipoh's very own Taj Mahal, Kellie's Castle

Hi @DoriyaKiz,

What an absolute brilliant share, thank you! The most intriguing part to me is the possibility of exploring the hidden staircases. For sure a must see on my next visit to Malaysia! 

By the way, please feel free to Introduce Yourself in our monthly topic.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Google Moderator

Hello @DoriyaKiz,

Thank you for sharing information about this castle, I will definitely visit the castle once I got the chance to travel to Ipoh. 

Because before reading your post, when I heard Ipoh only food comes up in my head. By the way, the Google Maps link you shared is not working, you can try to share the link again.  

Can't wait to hear more great adventure from you. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Hi @AlexaAC and @CarmineDpC, thanks for the kind compliments!

And thanks @AngieYC for the heads up on the link. Appreciate it 🙂

If you need recommendations for Ipoh in the future, let me know!

Level 9

Nice to know about this place @DoriyaKiz

Google Moderator

Hello @DoriyaKiz,

No worries, happy to help and I will get in touch with you once I got plan to visit Ipoh. Don't forget food recommendation too. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Excellent the pleasure is all mine, @DoriyaKiz

I will keep you to it for recommendations and I look forward to your future posts! 😊

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!