YanniY's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Introduce Yourself - March 2017

@JustinDonnelly, from one foodie to another, welcome to local guides connect community!

Level 8

Level 8

Hello Everyone!IMG_20160810_161720.jpg

My name is Sarah Seitz, and I've decided to join the Local Guides community because I'm a map addict. Before we had Google Maps and MapQuest, I wore through the covers of at least three atlases. I currently work as a Remote Sites Analyst and Sustainable Design Consultant at NASA-Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, CA. When I'm not on the road for work, I live in Kingston, Ontario where I'm completing my PhD at Queen's University in Civil Engineering with a Specialty in Sustainable Engineering for Remote Areas. Before that, I spent several years working as a carpenter and whitewater river guide, traveling around Canada and the Western United States with a Subaru full of tools and camping equipment. 

Being a Local Guide feels pretty natural, because I've found myself preparing maps for friends and colleagues, using Share Location features and previously, Google My Maps. I've lived in lots of places, and I like being able to offer good advice to my friends about the places I've enjoyed most. For the last few years I have been trying new tools to share information about places that are beyond the reach of most maps. I also enjoy the sharing the photos I've taken of interesting architecture, unexpected details and wide open spaces. IMG_20160809_224402.jpg

I heard about Local Guides because I use Google Now to manage frequent travel, and received a prompt to share information about the places I had visited and starred in Google Maps. As well, I will be traveling to Spain and other parts of Europe this spring for the first time in 15 years, and will need some advice from knowledgeable people. 

Fun Facts: I've attended Burning Man once - I was invited on ten days' notice and camped solo, but made friends I've been close to ever since. Last summer, I spent a week on the world's largest uninhabited island. 

AND lastly, I've created a Local Guides Community for people who enjoy exploring Remote Areas: https://plus.google.com/communities/107726652326110007069 - If you like exploring wide open spaces, or want to share tips and techniques for mapping and traveling in these kinds of places, you are welcomed to join. 

Thanks for providing such a rich resource for all to enjoy! Looking forward to connecting. 

IMG_20160813_214936(1).jpg

Level 8

Hello everyone,IMG_20160809_224402.jpg

I'm delighted to be joining Local Guides Connect. I added a bit of a bio earlier, but accidentally flagged one of the photos, so the post seems to have disappeared for now - the downside of working late and having misplaced my glasses! Hopefully it will reappear after it's been reviewed.

So here goes, again: My name is Sarah Seitz, and I'm a map addict. Before we had Google Maps and MapQuest, I wore through at least three paper atlases. Currently, I'm a Remote Sites Analyst and Sustainable Design Consultant at NASA-Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, CA. When I'm not traveling for work, I live in Kingston, Ontario where I am a PhD Candidate in Civil Engineering & Sustainable Engineering for Remote Areas at Queen's University. Before that, I worked as a carpenter and whitewater river guide traveling around Canada and the Western United States with a Subaru full of tools and camping gear. 

I'm glad to be joining Local Guides Connect because I enjoy exploring remote places that are very often "off the map". I've enjoyed using Google My Maps to great custom maps for myself and to create shared maps for friends and colleagues. Over the last few years, I've been exploring technologies for documenting remote places, and I enjoy sharing photos of interesting architecture and wide open spaces. 

IMG_20160813_214936(1).jpg

I heard about Local Guides via a Google Now notification, as I tend to use it for itineraries during frequent travel. This spring I will be traveling to Spain and elsewhere in Europe for the first time in 15 years, and I'm looking forward to using Local Guides Connect to seek advice for interesting neighborhoods and quiet places to stay. 

Fun Facts: Last summer, I spent a week on the largest uninhabited island on Earth. I have so many stars on my own Google Maps that it's getting hard to see what's underneath. I like spontaneous adventures. 

AND, *lastly* - I've created a community, Remote Areas - Local Guides, for people who enjoy exploring places far off the beaten path to share their experiences, compare the tools and technologies they use, and discuss the impact of sharing undiscovered places or sensitive environments. 

Thank you for creating such a rich resource for explorers! Looking forward to connecting.

Level 9

@SarahJS welcome to local guides connect community!

Level 8

very nice gesture from your side @YanniY

Level 8

welcome to connect @vincenzodld @AslamMo @SarahJS @NirajBhusal

Level 8

welcome to connect @KevinR @

Level 8

Re: myself

welcome to connect @MdR