Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Introduce Yourself - January 2018

Thats one good candid pic there 😉 @jamescridland Nice to meet you 🙂

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Level 8

Seems like i'm getting to know more LG people from Kenya @The_Circute nice to meet you my friend. 

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Level 9

Name: Paul

What I love about being a Local Guide:  Showing people how beautiful my local area is & how bless I am to live in such an area.  Out of all places that I have lived, including Hawaii, this area is my favorite by far.  Via Maps & reviews, I can show people both nature & comforts.  Since we live right by zillions of miles of Ocean & beaches, there are endless pics that you can take.   

I also am starting to enjoy some the interactions with other people on Connect.  Since I had made some friends in the past on other social media [e.g. Yelp], this is a welcomed

additional way to meet people from almost anywhere in the world & experience their unique views of the world [all this without even a Passport!]

My favorite things to explore:  Everything from the Microcosm {e.g. Protozoa} to the Macrocosm [e.g. Galaxies], and everything in-between.

My favorite forms of Photography:  I love nature, landscapes, food, places [e.g. restaurants], and Astrophotography. I hope to learn about & do more forms of Photography, such as Microphotography of Protozoa [I have used various microscopes thru the years to explore some of the near infinite world of the small.  You can find a literal Zoo in even on drop

of water from a non-polluted Pond.  That one drop hosts an amazing variety of one-celled & multi-celled creatures of near countless varieties & species.  Even an extensive book on

Protozoology barely taps a fraction of this hidden wonderful world.  While I have seen it many a time over my life, only with current technology will I be able to do this as an amateur.

Only with the current advance tech in top-of-the-line Pentax Cameras, can you also find ways to capture the oppositely large Macrocosmic objects, such as the huge Andromeda Galaxy

which is a million or so light years away, headed toward a collision with us in the far future, and contains many billions of stars.  Few know that it is the largest visible object in the sky and

it's width is equal to about 4-5 Moons in diameter!  Sadly, due to increasingly severe light pollution [ironically cause by more cheap LEDs], much of the legendary celestial features that

our ancestors new, loved, and even worshipped is "invisible" in most urban, suburban, and even more "rural" areas.  Since Tech can "cut" both ways, the Camera that I use links the GPS

information with the sensor mirror, so that it can counter-rotate the mirror to compensate for the distorting of the earth's rotation on a 5 second to 5 minute exposure....such tech allows

the Camera to gather thousands of times more light of those objects so that it increases the signal to noise ratio.

My favorite Photo's:  I have one of the Andromeda galaxy which I took my Porch with the Astrotrack feature of a Pentax K-series camera [300mm, exposure for 1-3 minutes].  I "blow-up" one of the pics as the background desktop image for my iMac.  My other favorite, is one of my little Niece, while wind goes thru her hair, while walking on a Santa Barbara, CA Ocean Pier, one day.  I think I used my Pentax K-3 for that shot, & successfully had it enlarged to poster sized, with no visible pixelation.  I will also attach some pics to this post.

Fun Facts about me: In my many careers, I have explored everything from pioneering using early computers, measuring millionth of a volt micro-brain waves [ Evoked Potentials] to

help assist in complex brain/spinal surgery to prevent blindness, deafness, paralysis, and even death, for many thousands of people [the tech that I helped pioneer is now used

in most major medical centers around the world & even helped save me when I broke my spine & needed surgery]....to...developing new medications that help relieve those suffering

from Mental Illness...to...helping treat, or even cure, severe Mental Illness.  I have always dedicated much of my life to helping advance Science, Health, and Mankind.

As I age, I need more relaxing & therapeutic hobbies that can help me have a mini-vacation from the usual stressors [i.e. work, bills, taxes, health issues, pain, suffering, Politics, etc...].

These include contributing to Google Maps, LG, and other on-line services.  I also am proud to use my hoard of computers to contribute valuable computer time, not to

create wealth via Cryptocurrency, but to donate it to help find cures for Ebola, Cancer, Zika, and more via the World Community Grid's distributed cloud "super-computer" [

I have donated over 70 years of virtual computer time in the last few years & help heat the house with the "waste" heat.  BTW- Anyone can do this using a fraction of your unused

multi-core computer systems].

Wild California Poppy in Arroyo Grande, CAWild California Poppy in Arroyo Grande, CA

Niece @ Santa Barbara PierNiece @ Santa Barbara Pier

Seaside in Pismo Beach, CASeaside in Pismo Beach, CA

Andromeda Galaxy - taken from my Porch in Pismo Beach - it is 2.5 Million Light Years away & has 1 Trillion StarsAndromeda Galaxy - taken from my Porch in Pismo Beach - it is 2.5 Million Light Years away & has 1 Trillion Stars

Me vs. Burger Contest in Arroyo Grande, CAMe vs. Burger Contest in Arroyo Grande, CA

Huge Burger Contest BurgerHuge Burger Contest Burger

Moon seen at Pismo BeachMoon seen at Pismo Beach

Anemone in Shell / Pismo BeachAnemone in Shell / Pismo Beach

Tide Pool denizens in Shell BeachTide Pool denizens in Shell Beach

Connect Moderator

Hi @RussellR and @ToyinOy, welcome to Connect. Please introduce yourselves here. 

Level 7

Loved your photograph @Malarik.

Level 8

Re: Introduce Yourself- January 8, 2018

Greeting @Brooke Nice to meet you 🙂 its really good to know about you :).

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Level 8

Re: Introduce yourself in 2018

Nice to meet you @Nobbynomad my friend. 

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Level 8

Omg those are some good photographs and its really good to know about you @Malarik. See you are around my friend. 

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Level 5

Nice to meet you @Malarik, and good pics out there, wish I was with you on the Burger Contest. Lol

Level 9

Hi Wizzy,

Thanks so much & it is also nice to meet you.  You may want to re-think the burger.  While I was successful in one way....free T-shirt, the honor of a pic off me

wining on there Wall of Fame, and the Congrats of lots of people in the establishment who urged me on.....I was not able to sleep till the wee hours of the morning.

I did not plan to do this contest, and had no hope nor wish to complete it...since I have GERD, IBD, and poor digestion....but I figured that I was hungry, it was 

about $30 and I could take home my left-over.  As I kept eating the huge burger at the bar, I found it all too easy to consume, and it tasted pretty good.  After the

half-way point, it seemed so easy.  I easily finished the burger, the side of a baked potato, a few glasses of cider, and 2 scoops of Vanilla Ice-cream as an extra.

The people there were amazed as I was that such an "ancient" fellow like me could do this.  It was so fun & funny that strange after stranger came up to me after-

wards to congratulate me & to shake my hand.  I was an minor celebrity for being a glutton for a brief while.

It is also funny that I recently challenged my nephew to do this during the holidays and he is larger than I am. He declined.

It is so strange to see what people are really capable to do, even if they do not know it.

As I look more closely at the pics, it sure looks like my ears are kind of pointy like a part Vulcan....Mr. Spock was

one of my childhood heroes BTW.....truly weird.

Thanks again & take care....and if you ever in the area....we may try this again sometime!

Thanks,

Paul:)