Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Introduce myself

Level 5

Re: Introduce Yourself — April 2018

Name: Geoffrey Mwakima

Location: Nairobi, Kenya. I was born in the coastal city of Mombasa, Kenya.

How did I hear about Local Guides: I once wanted directions to a place and when I could not find it on Google maps, I took the initiative of adding it myself. I did not know that I would earn points afterwards but as soon as I realized I had, it became a hobby for me to want to improve how well other people could find directions to navigate within Nairobi.

What I love about being a Local Guide: Naturally, I find happiness in helping people, especially when it comes to strangers. I love my home city, Nairobi and I want to make sure that anybody who comes to visit can find directions easily to anywhere they want to go. Being a local guide allows me to do that; helping them find restaurants, institutions, museums, public parks, we even have a National Park just outside the city! What's even better is that I can do that without actually being with them. As a local guide, I take time to answer questions on Google Maps, providing people with vital info regarding a place that I have been before. I also contribute by adding new places. Since my family and I moved to Nairobi in 2012, I have been able to gain a detailed perspective of the city of Nairobi in a bid to be able to provide other people with accurate directions, descriptions and other useful info regarding specific places within the city.At University of Nairobi within the cityAt University of Nairobi within the city

My favorite cuisine to explore: Coastal foods will always be top on my list of favorite cuisine.These are Bhajia, coconut flavored rice (this one's close to my heart :)), Kaimati, Biryani, Swahili chicken, Samosa, Fried fish and crabs. Albeit living in Nairobi means that I cannot eat these foods regularly. I have also not traveled much internationally so hopefully I'll get a chance to travel to California this year with Local Guides Connect.

Fun fact about me: I have had a chance to swim with dolphins off the coast of Kenya at Wasini Island. It was during a group trip we had organized about 2 years ago. We usually went to the beach on warm afternoons as a group. The beaches at Wasini are beautiful with blue clear waters and the dolphins are all friendly! We often however had to be careful not to step on sharp coral reef in some parts of the beach. I would give anything to go back to Wasini Island again. An experience of a lifetime!

Twilight photo with a portrait of myself outside the cityTwilight photo with a portrait of myself outside the city

Level 7

Introduce Yourself - March 2018

TenyaliTenyali

Hi everyone my name is Theophilus and am happy to be here. Am from Lagos Nigeria, and it's fun helping people understand my city better.  Aside from being a local guide I run my own business. 

Level 6

1. Name: Amit Arora
  2. Location: Vancouver, Canada
  3. What I love about being a Local Guide: I believe that by being a local guide, I can add value in the life of other people by sharing my experiences. In this world there are lots of awesome places, food, things to explore. I have realized that many people are not able to experience this rich variety just because of the shear fact that they are not aware. By being a google guide I help increase the general awareness of society a bit by bit. 
  4. My favorite cuisine to explore: I love Indian Food and anything which is spicy and Vegetarian. I explore different vegetarian options in each cuisine and I believe that by google guide I can make people aware of non-meat options which are available in different cuisine. 
  5. Fun Fact about me: I am very normal and sane person living in Vancouver who have a big heart for all living beings in general. My life motto: "live and let live"
Level 8

Re: Fuvad - Smile of Kerala

Connect Moderator

Re: Introduce Yourself - March 2018

Hi @Tenyali1

A Warm Welcome in Connect, the Official Community of Google Local Guides.

I am moving your post on the relevant thread

As this seems to be one of your first post in here, I take the opportunity to give you some information to know now to interact with the community:

• Need Help?: The help area give you a lot of solutions if you need to "know how to ...."
    • Explore the Forum menu, to see what the various sections are about. You will find many interesting parts regarding, for example, meet-up, or photographic technique.
    • Give to the post a descriptive title

As an extra tips, i would suggest you to Search the community before posting as the same subject can be already being discussed.

Welcome again, I hope to see you soon 🙂

Ermes

Level 6

Hi Sandy! I wish you many new places to photograph.

Level 8

Re: Fuvad - Smile of Kerala

Connect Moderator

Level 7

My ContributionsIntroduce Yourself April 19, 2019

me.png

1. 1. Name: Corrine

2. 2. Location: New Bedford, MA — though I’m originally from Boston

3. 3. What I love about being a Local Guide: I enjoy being a Local Guide. I veganize recipes and then I take photo's of them to post to my blog. I also like to shop for organic plant-based food products for my recipes. My vegan followers ask me for suggestions on where to shop for vegan food products or where's the vegan restaurants, and anything vegan period! lol. Being a Local Guide allows me to share these same suggestions with people like you all around the world!

4. 4. My favorite cuisine to explore: I love anything veggie Asian food, I can share with the world. I also have a place in my heart for Mediterranean food. When my friends and I crave falafels I know just where to take them! Not only do they serve deliciously tasty food at the Mediterranean restaurant but you can also enjoy belly dancing for your entertainment enjoyment!

5. Fun Fact about me: My first job when I attended high school was a cook at Friendly's Restaurant. I'm now retired after working 40 years as a Medical Laboratory Technician. I've also helped as an assistant organizer at film festivals and  I was involved in films as a background extra. It was fun to be treated like a star. The most excited part was having an opportunity to work with some famous celebrities. I love to travel for food to eat. My last trip was March 2018 I went Toronto Canada to dine with friends at a popular vegan restaurant, my next trip will be an Alaskan Glacier Cruise in June 2019

My Contributions