ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: International Holocaust Remembrance Day - January 27

Thank you @davidhyno for sharing the story of Bruno, this living memoriy of that moments. I lost my grandfather years ago. They had the house occupied by the Nazis. My mom was five, but she still remember the soldiers

Connect Moderator

Thank you for being shocked, @DeniGu . This is because you are a real person, able to think and to feel emotions and sentiments.

I really didn't wanted to shock anyone, not with the photos. I didn't wanted to post the brutal, aseptic photos of the showers, nor the technical efficiency of the crematorium. I made a choice, to let you imagine, I tried to post a feeling, to give a bit of discomfort, to invite the readers to exit from their "comfort zone".

The first time, visiting Auschwitz, I had the same feeling, but I really believe that a visit is important.

You will watch the world with different eyes, the next days

Level 8

Hello @FaridTDF  The bottom line is all wars are terrible for all those effected by its consequences. Every country has been scarred by war in one way or another, I mean I could go on and on. When I was a child somebody I knew well was killed in a bombing in Belfast Northern Ireland,  I remember crossing the border to go to Belfast and being terrified by British soldiers Some of my ancestors were murdered in the Irish War of Independence. No country is unique to the scars of war. Different countries have different dates in the year where they remember their dead due to war but this particular date, January 27th has been assigned in Europe as, Holocaust Memorial day, this does not discount any other countries in the world who have suffered at the hands of war but this particular day is for remembering the Holocaust and those who died and survived this inhumanity,. War has caused much loss of life but not on such large a scale as 6 million and that's not counting the disabled and gypsies that were experimented on and murdered. This is why we must not forget and we must remember and we must honour them this Sunday, as Europeans and as Citizens of The World.

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT unfortunately another similiarity is that both of the exterminations aren't believed to have happened by some people...

Well, I guess that every genocide has a group of people that don't want to believe it happened. 

I look forward to seeing the photos of the ghetto, and the Armenian district too if you will also post your experience. Posts like this ones raise awareness and help make a bit of a difference. 

Connect Moderator

Thank you @KarenVChin 

It seems you and @Jesi lived a similar experience, both visited Dachau, even if in different moments.

Two days ago, I went to Venice with @AntonellaGr . We spent a few minutes to visit the Jewish Ghetto. The English word Getto is derived from this place.

Jewish lived in Venice from 1300 and, between 1943 and 1944, 246 Jews were captured and deported.

We took a few photos, I want to share some with you.

Caption: a sculpture on the Venetian Ghetto - Local Guide @ermestCaption: a sculpture on the Venetian Ghetto - Local Guide @ErmesT

It is important that you remember about your math teacher, Karen. Many survivors dont like to talk about their terrible experience in an extermination camp. They choose to let everything behind them, and try to build a new life, in another country, while some other devoted the rest of their life to the mission of remembering.

One of this was an Italian writer, Primo Levi. Se questo è un uomo, the book he wrote on 1947, is translated in more than 40 different languages. Survival in Auschwitz is the English title, Si esto es un hombre is the Spanish version

Connect Moderator

I agree @MariaNgo and this makes me very sad.

If we want to fight the horror we cannot use the same "behaviour" that the horror is using. Figfhtin "fire with fire" is not the right thing to do.

Remembering, sharing the memories, is what we can do. 

Connect Moderator

Thank you @helga19 

Thank you for being there with us.

Thank you for your contribution, with the very well known railway at Birkenau gate

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Phunky 

You dont need to talk about anything personal. I appreciate your feedback

Thank you also for resharing the post

Level 8

@ErmesT  

6-Million-we-will-never-forget.jpg

Level 8

Hi @ermest 

Some more info on Primo Levi.  His book If this is a man was published in 1947 but it was completely negleted. The survivors of extermination camps had to experience one more tragedy: the wounds were too fresh and nobody wanted to remember. It is only in 1956 (or 1957, I should check the precise year) that his republished book became well known. Levi died in 1987, his death was a suicide. He couldn't bear the burden of the past

Here some pictures of mine of Jewish Ghetto in Venezia

20190124_143414.jpg20190124_143014.jpg20190124_143240.jpg