EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

International Day of Persons with Disabilities ♿

In 1992 the United Nations proclaimed the 3rd of December  as the International Day for People living with disabilities. Caption: A logo showing the International Accessibility Sign with the word Accessibility For AllCaption: A logo showing the International Accessibility Sign with the word Accessibility For All

Each year, people around the world create awareness to ensure that the rights of PwD are entrenched into our society. The U.N. picks a theme, each year, to focus on helping make our communities inclusive.

For 2018, the theme is Empoweing persons with disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality.

Local Guides have played significant roles in making the world more inclusive by adding millions of information on Google Maps and hosting meetups to create awareness in our communities.Caption: A dedicated parking lot with accessibility sign at the Quad Campus, GoogleplexCaption: A dedicated parking lot with accessibility sign at the Quad Campus, GoogleplexAs part of the annual Day, we commenced the Worldwide Accessibility Walk on 1st December to identify accessible businesses, infrastructure and speak to decision makers about inclusiveness. #AccessibleNigeria, #AccessibleAfrica and Accessible World is possible!

We must commend @TraciC who has been responsible for pioneering this human right cause in the Local Guides programme and many of us have added our voices to ensure no diffently able person is left behind!

I am dedicating today to, one person who has inspired me to support this cause, my high school buddy and classmate- John. Caption: A photo of Emeka's friend John wearing a brown kaftan with crutches on both hands during a recent meet in LagosCaption: A photo of Emeka's friend John wearing a brown kaftan with crutches on both hands during a recent meet in Lagos

Do you know anyone with disability? Have you made any effort to ensure they live a normal life?

Lagos, Nigeria
13 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: International Day of Persons with Disabilities ♿

You put an awesome example, @EmekaUlor. Thank you for sharing! People like that should be mentioned just because of their inner straight.

I would also like to dedicate this day to a friend of mine. His name is Peter Neftelimov. He is 23 years old, with a child cerebral palsy lives in a wheelchair, isn't able to talk or use his hands and yet, he is one of the brightest minds I have had the honor to know. Peter is currently writing a book about living a motivated and fulfilled life despite all difficulties. He is constantly looking for new things to learn. The guy is like an encyclopedia of all future digital and economic trends. He has participated in all sorts of cause-oriented organizations and has really big dreams and plans how to achieve them.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

@IrrPavlova wow. Very interesting to know Peter is writing a book and that's a giant stride.

John is a lecturer in North East Nigeria. I will do a short write-up about our meeting soon.😊

Former Google Contributor

I can't wait to read it. 😊

I guess difficulties in the right atmosphere could be the best motivators.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

This is awesome...

Awareness campaign is very important so that no one is left behind.

Thanks for this @EmekaUlor

Check what I found today at MMA2 Domestic Airport Lagos

Toilets with wheelchair accessibility at MMA2Toilets with wheelchair accessibility at MMA2

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 8

Nice initiative @EmekaUlor. Best luck

Regards

Jafar pasha

Level 8

Nice initiative @EmekaUlor.

Best luck

Regards

Jafar pasha

Googler

Hi @EmekaUlor. Thank you so much for keeping us all responsible and accountable for good information for all. I loved leading last year's efforts but it was a huge, huge group effort on our team (and beyond) along with so many millions of you Local Guides. I'm so thankful you've kept this going while we work on exciting things to bring to you!

I now know many people but as I think I've told you, I just can't imagine not being able to do something because of something so "silly" as not having a wide enough door or toilet. These are basic "rights" to me and while I understand it's taken some time for the world to catch up, it needs to be a bit faster for me to be happier. 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9

Thank you very much @EmekaUlor for remind  about Internationl Day of Person with Disabilities.

You always write about very important theme in our society.

Connect Moderator

@Sagir thanks! 

Yes, I did see the restroom at MMA2 and I did use it too. Youd see my review. 😊

Caotion: Accessibility Sign at the Lagos Airport restroomCaotion: Accessibility Sign at the Lagos Airport restroom