Badruddeen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Interesting Google Maps News

Hello Local Guides,

I feel that we can have a topic as above as we find lot of interesting news about Google Maps and everyone can share their findings under this, so everyone benefits by reading them.

Let me share an interesting news I found today. 

Lost cemetery found thanks to Google maps and a box of keys.

A lost cemetery in the middle of a Devon city has been opened up for the first time in centuries after a complaint from a neighbour about overgrown trees.

The holy ground which is the final resting place of people who lived and died 300 years ago had been locked up and forgotten about, until a caretaker used Google Maps to track down the missing plot, and dug through an old box of keys to find one that would let him in.

Jerry Sibley, custodian of Plymouth Synagogue, has now cut back much of the overgrown vegetation, and the cemetery is welcoming visitors keen to find their ancestors.The old Jewish cemetery is hidden behind high stone walls on Lambhay Hill in Plymouth, in the shadow of the Royal Citadel.IMG_0085.PNG

Read more : http://m.devonlive.com/lost-cemetery-found-thanks-to-google-maps-and-a-box-of-keys/story-30350913-de...

13 comments
Level 8

Re: Interesting Google Maps News

That is amazing! Wow the great power of Google Maps truly coming to life. Love stories like this. It makes me want to go out and discover unmapped territories @Badruddeen. Thanks for sharing! That would be a great idea to have a news tab!

Level 8

Thanks Diana,

It's my pleasure and thanks for the encouragement and let's bring all the interesting Google Maps news we come across and share it here so all the Local Guides can access the information easily on LGC and everyone can enjoy the goodness of Google Maps. 😀

Cheers

Level 8

Using Google Maps And A Drone, This Artist Offers A Surreal Look At American Landscapes

The notion of a landscape photograph might conjure up the most exciting emotions in people. Sure, the photographs may be striking and beautiful, but the works often rely on familiar techniques that have been around for years. Or decades. Or millennia. 

However, having an eye in the sky not only allows an artist the opportunity to scout locations in a new way, but also to create shots that turn the convention of landscapes and nature photography on its head. To that end, Turkish artist Aydın Büyüktaş armed himself with two powerful weapons afforded by modern technology: Google Maps and drones. Using a broad foundation of experiences in visual effects, 3-D animation, and video, he sought to capture America in a way no one has seen before. 

aydinbuyuktas on instagramaydinbuyuktas on instagram

Click to read the full article. 

Level 8

Hundreds of tourists directed to nondescript Norwegian village thanks to Google Maps gaffe

Residents of a quiet village in Norway have been inundated with tourists thanks to an error on Google Maps, local media reports. According to Stavanger Aftenbald, tourists seeking the famous Preikestolen cliffs have instead been sent to the village of Fossmork, which is 20 miles away, on the other side of a fjord.

The famous Preikestolen cliffs in Norway. Photo: iStockThe famous Preikestolen cliffs in Norway. Photo: iStock

Click to Read more ...

Level 8

70,000 Polling Stations In Pakistan Are Going To Be Connected With Google Maps

Polling-Stations-In-Pakistan.jpg

Read more ...

Level 10

@Badruddeen now . almost all tech product direct or indirect involve with maps and maximum use google maps . also sad news for Google maps . they stop road and polygon edit so  south asian so many tech startup move other maps solution . few days ago i post about this  

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

@Badruddeen wow! Those are quite the stories, especially the one about the lost cemetery - truly goes to show how Maps can assist even beyond our normal daily use. Thanks for sharing!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 8

@StevePrairie wrote:

@Badruddeen wow! Those are quite the stories, especially the one about the lost cemetery - truly goes to show how Maps can assist even beyond our normal daily use. Thanks for sharing!

@SP31 Steve You are welcome.

Cheers

Level 8

Comparison Shows Just How Far Behind Apple Maps is To Google Maps

It’s no secret that Apple Maps simply cannot match up to Google Maps in terms of coverage, details, and information. Nonetheless, it was believed that Apple was working aggressively on improving its mapping service and catch up to Google Maps. A comparison, however, shows just how far ahead Google Maps is and how rapidly Google makes changes to it to keep the information up to date.

Read more...  http://www.iphonehacks.com/2017/05/comparison-shows-just-far-behind-apple-maps-google-maps.html