AndrewR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Insulting that Google tells its local guides to contribute for free or quit

What's up with Google putting that exit door right below my local guides account? It's really insulting, you encourage us Local guides to keep contributing, then say if we don't like the fact that we don't get anything in return, then there's the door, oh and you don't get any of your information or valuable images back we keep all that. What's going on, change that and start rewarding us like you do with all your other employees.

26 comments
Level 8

Re: Insulting that Google tells its local guides to contribute for free or quit

Hi @AndrewR This is a volunteer program, there isn't a direct financial gain to it. Sometimes there could be small perks given just to encourage us along the way, but that shouldn't be taken as a financial gain, as it's usually quite small.  Please be informed that there is no payment or being an LG is not job.

As a Local Guide, you earn points for sharing reviews, photos, and knowledge on Google Maps. Those points lead to higher levels of the program, as well as benefits like early access to Google features and special perks from partners. Perks and benefits for the Local Guides program are always changing.  Benefits like invites to special events are made available to our high quality and actively contributing Local Guides. Here is a review of our points system

Local Guides also enjoy early access to new product features as well as occasional perks from some of our partners and benefits from Google. There is no financial compensation from being a Local Guide as this is an at-will program that you are free to contribute to at your own leisure. 

To make sure you are in the know on future updates, please ensure your email-settings are set to receive updates on 'Perks' and 'News & Product Updates'

It's our wish my friend whether to be in great community or you can exit if you don't feel good being here if you are concerned about your contribution it's your wish whether you can delete it or you can leave it as it's so that it may help others.

Reagrds,

Jagadeesh reddy.

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Level 9

your photos are yours, and you can delete them from google maps if you want to at any time. you can also delete your reviews. 

Level 10

@AndrewR Hi there. I am sorry you feel that way, and almost a little upset. 

Your Local Guides home dashboard is here. https://maps.google.com/localguides/home

(There's no exit program, in your home dashboard directly).

The exit program function is under settings. Here. https://maps.google.com/localguides/home/settings,

Most other programs have exit settings also, that is needed. 

And as it has been said above, if one chooses to exit, and if one chooses to delete his/her contributions, one can. That's just an option.

We all signed up knowing up front that it's a volunteer program. If Google gives some rewards, then great.. if not, I suppose it's ok to share your thoughts about it, like the way you have.

But hopefully please don't feel upset if there is none, or what is given doesn't meet our expectations.

There's no guarantee of physical or financial rewards in this program. 

I was really wondering if someone from Google actually asked people to quit though.. ref to your post subject.. 

Level 6

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. Sorry to bust your bubbles but it is not a volunteer program, have you read the TOCs lately? Google states that Local Guides will also receive benefits for their hard work but they don't say what these benefits are. Also would you say that you volunteer for your employer? No, do you volunteer for Microsoft? Probably not, so why should you be thought of as a volunteer by bettering Google's systems so they can make a grossly higher profit and share nothing with you?

Level 10

Hi @AndrewR I don't know why you are making this crusade against Google products... using Google products 🙂

I think you should talk about the problems involving sharing economy and crowd generated content on other platfortms, to be more effective.

Anyway, there is another tool you can use if you want to get back all you contributed:

takeout: https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout

You can also simply stop contributing, without deleting nothing, obviously.

Level 6

@LucioV, I do what I want.

Level 10

@Andrewr wrote:

@LucioV, I do what I want.

Sure! But it's just curious to use G tools trying to convince ourselves that we are wrong about the program.

Have a nice day

Level 6

Why is it curious? It's only human nature to ask questions and I'm trying to help others see things from mine and others perspectives as lots of people are wondering the same thing about this program. Haven't you thought to yourself why is this mega wealthy company having people update their maps program free of charge yet paying others to do the same thing? I read an article (I will have to look for the link to post it) where it stated that Google had a contractor checking information about maps and then once the AI could do it, all the people working for Google on that project were canned with no notice. The article also said they had contributors and others working on the program through volunteering, so that leads me to believe they're being cheap. I hate seeing people be taken advantage of and I hope many others can take the whammy off to see what's going on. You said I continue to use the service and other Google services. Yes because the whole point of why I'm posting on the forums is to get a response by Google to clarify this program benefits. I appreciate your input but I'm getting tired of hearing the whole, "I do this for passion" thing it comes off as a pyramid scheme response. So while you think I'm in a crusade, I also think you're in a crusade to tout this way of business as something to be admired.

Level 10

@AndrewR

We are NOT Google employees.  Read the TOS carefully, not only one cutted phrase.

And one more thing - you use Google Maps (and maybe Gmail, Photos, Drive, Docs) for free, don't you?

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL