KarenVChin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Inspired by Map My World Week? Are you still posting at least once a day on Google Maps?

Curious to know -- Did you participate in Map My World Week on March 13 - 19, 2017 by yourself because you didn't have time to meet-up with your Local Guides Community or you don't live near a Local Guides Community?

I did my Week alone because my schedule is hectic, but I still wanted to actively contribute to Google Maps. Having Map My World Week got me to think how I could map out and post what I would be doing during that week.

I ended up mapping some of the things that I do as part of my daily life living here in the San Francisco Bay Area - go to a bakery cafe, grocery store, post office, meet up with friends for lunch, get coffee at Starbucks, try out a new milk tea and bubble tea place, etc.

My Map My World Week Journey, March 13 - 19, 2017My Map My World Week Journey, March 13 - 19, 2017

1) Met friends at our local Paris Baguette (Bakery Cafe)
2) Had lunch at Banseok Jeong Korean BBQ Restaurant
3) Tried a new milk and bubble tea place with a friend called T4 Livermore
4) Went to a local US Post Office
5) Went grocery shopping at Whole Foods Markets
6) Met a friend and tried out a new upscale cafeteria called Urban Plates
7) Went to Starbucks and ordered a grande Mocha Frappuccino

What surprised me is that I didn't have a majority of these places that I do go to NOT ALREADY on Google Maps!

Lesson Learned: Always double check your Google Maps for your reviews!

Curious to read my Local Guides reviews about any of these 7 places that were part of my Map My World Week Journey, March 13 - 19, 2017 Listclick here.

Make It Part of Your Day: Post to Google Maps Only Once A Day

What I liked about contributing to Map My World Week every day during the 13th - 19th was it reminded me how easy it was to just review 1 place or business each day. It also got me back in the habit of using my iPhone to quickly take photos.

Now I Can't Stop! How About You?

Since Map My World Week ended on the 19th, I'm still continually posting once a day to Google Maps because I am now hooked again (see below image).

I've made it my goal to post at least one review a day on Maps until the end of this year. How about you?

My Map My World Journey Continues, March 2017My Map My World Journey Continues, March 20171) Went with a friend to her neighborhood Trader Joe's

2) Went to my 1st charity local library fundraiser, Friends of the Dublin Library Used Books and Media Sale, bought two bags full of books and 9 CDs for my family

3) Took my kiddos to my local Barnes & Noble bookstore for Storytime

4) Went to Hap Magee Ranch Park, my favorite dog park, with my dog to get fresh air and exercise for the both of us

5) Shopped at my local Old Navy - Owned by The Gap: clothing, shoes, and accessories for the whole family

6) Browsed at In Between Stitches, a local independent sewing and quilt-making store

7) Went to a lunch seminar at Roadhouse Market & Conference Center and saw "Shangrila" in the middle of the complex

😎 Had a BIA Mocha and gluten-free chocolate brownie at Panama Bay Coffee Co. 

9) Watched kids run through the water fountain at Lizzie Fountain Park

Curious to read my Local Guides reviews about any of these 9 places and want to follow my Map My World Journey Continues List, click here.

Tell me any tips or things you learned after your experience with Map My World Week. Would love to hear your story.

Cheers,

Karen

San Francisco Google Local Guide

San Francisco Bay Area, CA, United States
59 comments
Googler

Re: Inspired by Map My World Week? Are you still posting at least once a day on Google Maps?

Hi @KarenVChin. I was following your adventures on Google+ and am so glad you shared here on Connect with fellow Local Guides. I think the coolest part about your post was that you shared about mapping things you do as part of your daily life. I think we often think about our "amazing experiences" and overlook our "everyday life" but everyday life is what everyone is having, no matter how much time or money we have. So that trip to the post office has to happen or in my case, a trip to the laundromat to do the neglected pile of clothes. This weekend, while I was sitting there waiting for my clothes to finish, rather than toiling away online, I opened Maps and added a few photos to places I somehow missed, answered questions and checked the facts. I'm with you though on contributing to Google Maps at least once a day and to create more lists! 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Googler

Re: Inspired by Map My World Week? Are you still posting at least once a day on Google Maps?

Oh, @KarenVChin. Your post is featured on the Connect homepage today!

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 8.15.12 AM.png

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 2

The Food looking awesome

Thanks for Sharing

@KarenVChin

Level 10

Hi @KarenVChin nice story to read! I didn't participate to map your world week... because i was busy for my crowdy (50 pax!) meetup in Milan, and because for me is ALWAYS MAPPING DAY! 🙂 In fact, by average, i add 1-2 places a day and add a minimum of 10 photos each day!

I'm proud to let you know that, during the meetup, the challengers of my game (18 pax) generated a total of 378 points and at least 50 new places!!!

Level 9

Hey there,

in only 3 days i earned 107.

not for points but want to help them who need.

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 7

WOW @KarenVChin this was quite some reporting. 

You have actually sent a standard on how to feedback to other Local Guide myself included on this. Love the photos.

Great job.

Level 9

Hello Karen, after seeing the story really inspired me 😄

Yesterday the Local Guides Surabaya, Indonesia also enjoy a moment together in the event Map Your World Week.

The Local Guides who attended were invited to do a review of this area. We were chatting and sharing together about becoming a Local Guides.

One of my favourite quotes: "Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life."

This is it :

Day One : 

[RECAP] Surabaya Map Your World Week - Day 1

[RECAP] [VIDEO] Surabaya Map Your World Week - Day 1 

Day Two :

[RECAP] Surabaya Map Your World Week - Day 2

[RECAP] [VIDEO] Surabaya Map Your World Week - Day 2

Day Three :

[RECAP] Surabaya Map Your World Week - Day 3

[RECAP] [VIDEO] Surabaya Map Your World Week - Day 3

Former Google Contributor

Wow @KarenVChin. Map My World World may have inspired you, but your story just inspired ME! What a great reminder to look back and see the adventure in our daily activities. I just added a bunch of reviews and photos to the map. Its easy to make a point of adding something when you travel or go somewhere, but those every day places are new for someone else and this information really helps others (and the business!). Thanks for this great recap. You're a rockstar!

Level 8

Hi @KarenVChin,

Thank you very much for sharing your story with us.

I hope any of us that are bored by having only 5 LG levels can got new inspiration from you.  I am sure your story can re-ignite the enthusiasm of lots of us LGs towards contributing to Maps.