Ewaade_3A's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

IGI ODAN - A MAJESTIC TREE IN MY RURAL NEIGHBORHOOD #monthlytopic

It is majestic. I am in awe of it, not just because of its imposing presence or its majestic allure, but because, in addition to all of these, the work it has been assigned to do; 'providing refuge and comfort to a people unknown'.

Taking Passengers on a Motorbike, over a 2 kilometre distance for less than $1 is work enough, until you realize you have to wait for 30 minutes under the 'Scorching Lagos sun' to get the next Passenger.

The people who do this job to secure their daily bread, have one less thing to worry about, all thanks, to the Igi Odan! The Motor Bike riders, have one less thing to worry about, as they scurry under the shade of the Majestic Igi Odan, to receive protection from the scorching heat!

The Majestic tree that provides tree to one too many people of this communityThe Majestic tree that provides tree to one too many people of this community

Well, the topic of this  tree, sorry of this month is about that; "One tree in our neighborhood", well, I want to share with you this one called; IGI ODAN.

This tree(s) is located at the Ijegun Last bus-stop. It has been at this spot for as long as I can remember, it was just there, enjoying being a very huge tree, until the Lagos State Government put a ban on the activities of 'Motorbikes' on the Major highways. So, all the Motorbikes serving the Ijegun community, had to be relocated to their current positions and the shade of these massive umbrella trees.

There are two at this location and one further down the path.

One of the fascinating things about this tree, are the threadlike offshoot from the stem that look like so many roots sticking out from the Stem of the Tree!

A closer look of the tree show us thisA closer look of the tree show us this

FUN FACT

1. The riders you find most at the foot of the tree, are those from the Northern part of the country; where the heat is harshest! 🙈 You know what I am thinking right; "should they not be used to it?"
  2. This tree grows across the lenght and breadth of South-Western Nigeria
  3. Yea, it bears fruits, but the fruits are tiny and not edible
  4. Apart from providing shade, there is little known about it...

Do you have a similar tree in your community? What's the native name?

Another interesting tree is; ISIN - A NATIVE MYSTICAL TREE OF SOUTH-WESTERN NIGERIA.

26 comments
Level 8

Re: IGI ODAN - A MAJESTIC TREE IN MY RURAL NEIGHBORHOOD #monthlytopic

It's good to see your post in #monthlytopic again. Let me tag @HiroyukiTakisawa to this post. It serves as a shade for people who need it, same here in Thailand. 🙂 Thank you for sharing this post with us, girl.

Forgot to tag you, @Ewaade_3A .

Level 9

Hello @Ewaade_3A welcome to the #monthly topic. Your debut post is just amazing. I hope you will be with us in the future also. You can read my post here. Thanks for sharing this nice post with us. Regards. 

Level 8

Good morning @Ewaade_3A  what a delightful post on this 'great' tree. You also highlight perfectly how important it is to have these natural umbrellas. 
If only Igi Odan could speak.....she could tells us many stories she heard from the moter bike drivers. I love the perfect picture that shows the whole story of this tree. 

Connect Moderator

Hi, @Ewaade_3A 
Providing shades is a very important role, isn't it? Focusing such a familiar tree is also nice. Thank you for sharing this and joining again!

Thank you for tagging me, @Ant_Bad_Yogi 

Level 9

Thank you @Ant_Bad_Yogi

You are my monthly topic godmother.

I never stopped writing monthly topic since you invited me. 

Thanks @MukulR 

Level 9

Thank you @HiroyukiTakisawa

Don't worry, you will always have me on the #monthlytopic board

Level 8

Oh my goddaughter, hahaha. And sometimes you write more than one post in a month, that is nice. @Ewaade_3A 

Level 9

Ahahhha

@Erik_van_den_Ham

Erik, thank you. After I saw your commemt, I realized I never added the picture showing the thread-like branches.

I tried but 🙈 I doubt one could. Capture the Igi Odan from Ground level.

You know when you take a picture, you want everyone to see what you can see! 

Level 9

Thanks @Ant_Bad_Yogi

OOnly the first month. Since the local restrictions from COVID-19 got relaxed, I get less and less time.

I miss playing though 🙈 and writing so much!