Lavagirl's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

I was threatened after my review.

So yesterday I was contacted by a business for leaving a bad review of their business.  They have threatened to sue me if I don't take down the review. They state I posted before I gave them a chance to rectify the problem.  This is incorrect -  I have emails and photos showing otherwise.  I don't think I should have to take down a review because I've been threatened.  Should I communicate with the company?  Ignore them?  I am a level 6 local guide and this is a first!

Calgary, AB, Canada
24 comments
Level 8

Re: I was threatened after my review.

Hi Lavagirl! I am so sorry to hear that, it must've felt quite terrifying...

If I were you, in this situation I think I would communicate with the company/business.

If they are willing to improve or give us compensation after our bad experience with them, I think that would mean a positive attitude from them, that deserve a recognition and second chance from us.

We can tone down our language in the review or add the information such as "the business owner is willing to listen and improve....etc"

It's also important to show our humbleness by saying sorry, just to break the ice. 

I think the most important thing in this case in the world is that we can help others, and if improving a business is one kind of helpful act, both to the business owner and also the customers. 

I think we must also be more careful with what we say to others coz we represent the Google Local Guides as a community (amongst other communities that we also part of i.e. school, company, area, etc).

Those are my suggestions.

Good luck! 🙂

Level 7

Thnx for the suggestions.  : )

Google Moderator

Hello @Lavagirl,

I'm sorry to learn about your experience. Please reach out to the Google My Business community, where the community managers and experts would be able to advise you accordingly.

At the Google My Business community, I suggest clicking on Spam & Policy, then creating a post there.

Please note not to include any of your or the business' personal information, but rather allow a community expert or Googler to contact you to obtain it. 

I hope this information help. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

Thank you.  I will do that!

Google Moderator

Hello @Lavagirl,

As an additional information, you can also head over to the Google Security Center where you can employ additional security settings in your account. 

You can also learn how to hide reviews by reading the Help Center article See or hide your reviews and ratings in your profile.

Just as a reminder, don't forget when responding to others make sure to tag them (by writing @ before their names) in a post so they can receive notifications that you are communicating with them. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 1

Don’t worry they can’t do

anythjng especially if they don’t have any info on you  legally You left your experience with the business you don’t have to give them a chance to rectify anything

Level 7

Hi there, I think that we should give only good reviews, if the business in not the best, just do not recommend

Former Google Contributor

Hey @SAURON,

If the case is extreme I sometimes leave a bad review.

Once I left a bad review and thought I will never go back there, but I received a reply from the owner, who apologized.

After some time, I went back to the establishment and edited my review to a better one. So in my case, a bad review lead to a positive change.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 7

I am not OK with this position, i think idea behind a review is to help people by sharing our own experience. Wich experience can be Good or worst @saurion

Eric Sibamou