DeniGu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

I tried Christina’s sushi photography tips

One of the first things I do when I look up a restaurant on Google Maps is check the photos from the menu. The more delicious the images are, the more I want to visit that place. As a Local Guide, I always try to take the best photos of my food to help others decide if they want to go there.

I recently went to SASA, an Asian restaurant in Sofia, Bulgaria, which boasts delicious seafood options. Being a seafood lover myself, I couldn’t miss the chance to try their sushi. But I had one more idea in mind—I wanted to try @Christina-NYC’s tips for taking photos at sushi spots.

Here are some of the photos I took and the experiences I had while taking them.

Tip 1: Use natural light

This tip made me realise something important about restaurants in Bulgaria. They are always separated in two areas—one for smokers and another for non-smokers. I’m a non-smoker and I’ve always enjoyed my meals in the non-smoking section of restaurants. Eager to follow Christina’s tip for using natural light in my photos, I deliberately asked for a window seat. It turns out that all the tables by the window were for smokers because apparently the place turns into a wide terrace during the summer.   

I still got a window seat, and even though I had to endure the light cigarette smoke in the air, I have to admit that using natural light does wonders when it comes to taking photos of food.

Caption: A close-up photo of a plate with various sushi rolls with salmon, crab meat, avocado, breadcrumbs, and sauces at SASA, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A close-up photo of a plate with various sushi rolls with salmon, crab meat, avocado, breadcrumbs, and sauces at SASA, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

Tip 2: Focus on the details

I liked this tip the most. Sure, photos of the whole plate are great because I get an idea of what’s on the menu, but close-up photos are what help me better imagine what the dish tastes like.

Restaurants here offer extravagant-looking sushi, so sometimes it’s hard to decide which detail to focus on. In this photo, I decided to go for an interesting detail—the crispy shrimp tail sticking out of one sushi roll.

Caption: A close-up photo of a plate with various sushi rolls, focusing on four rolls with avocado and shrimp, with the crispy shrimp tail sticking out of one of them, at SASA, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A close-up photo of a plate with various sushi rolls, focusing on four rolls with avocado and shrimp, with the crispy shrimp tail sticking out of one of them, at SASA, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

Tip 3: Compose for the best angle

This one took some work. First of all, I had to keep my friend from swooping right in once the sushi was served.

Then I started experimenting. I turned the plate this way and that, removed objects I didn’t want to capture in the photo, and leaned left and right, looking for the right angle. Finally, I decided to stand up and take a photo from above, using the square frame formed by the four mats on the table.

Caption: A photo taken from above that shows a rectangular plate with different kinds of sushi rolls: with salmon paste and sauce, crab meat salad, salmon and panko breadcrumbs, avocado and crispy shrimp. The plate is framed by four placemats and was taken at SASA in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A photo taken from above that shows a rectangular plate with different kinds of sushi rolls: with salmon paste and sauce, crab meat salad, salmon and panko breadcrumbs, avocado and crispy shrimp. The plate is framed by four placemats and was taken at SASA in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

Tip 4: Capture the ambiance

To implement this tip, I took a walk around the restaurant to explore the many spots for taking good photos of the interior setting.

This restaurant has a great atmosphere with comfortable seating. Interesting lamps, and large green plants scattered around. The non-smoking area was cosy and bathed in warm lighting.

Capton: A photo of the interior of the SASA restaurant in Sofia, Bulgaria, showing comfortable seats and couches around round wooden tables, big overhead lamps with warm light, and a wooden-slab ceiling. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Capton: A photo of the interior of the SASA restaurant in Sofia, Bulgaria, showing comfortable seats and couches around round wooden tables, big overhead lamps with warm light, and a wooden-slab ceiling. (Local Guide @DeniGu)The tables in the smoking area enjoyed more natural light, coming from the wide windows. I also noticed that there were high chairs for little children by the wall, ready to be offered to diners at any time.

Caption: A photo of enclosed tables and comfortable chairs, with artificial plants covering the walls and high chairs for children in the background taken inside the SASA restaurant in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A photo of enclosed tables and comfortable chairs, with artificial plants covering the walls and high chairs for children in the background taken inside the SASA restaurant in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

Tip 5: Use your camera grid for the restaurant exterior

Taking photos of the outside of the restaurant turned out to be a bit tricky. The place was located in a shopping center and there was little space in front to step back and capture the whole exterior.

Instead of trying to fit everything in the fame, I decided to focus on the part I thought would be most useful for other visitors. I aimed to capture the wheelchair accessible entrance and the restaurant’s sign.

Caption: A photo of the exterior of the SASA restaurant, showing a wheelchair accessible entrance through glass doors, two stands for the menu, and a sign that says “SASA Asian Pub” in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A photo of the exterior of the SASA restaurant, showing a wheelchair accessible entrance through glass doors, two stands for the menu, and a sign that says “SASA Asian Pub” in Sofia, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

What photography tips have you tested out for yourself? Tell us in the comments below and be sure to share your photos, too!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Sofia, Bulgaria
68 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: I tried Christina’s sushi photography tips

Hi @DeniGu,

I think you did a great job with all of the tips from the original post, and I especially like the way the photo turned out where you used the mats on the table to create lines around the dish.

Did you find any of the tips particularly tricky to master? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Thanks @DeniGu  for sharing the amazing tips with community, your all pictures are really awesome and i'll use your useful tips in my photos for Maps.

I want to share a picture of food, its a type of starter which is salty in taste 🙂

1546019636121.jpg

Hi @DeniGu,

You did a very nice post! Thanks!

I am always trying to capture food in different ways. From your tips, I've tried til now focus on the details and compose for the best angle. Unfortunately, I don't have exactly photos from sushi but I will share another food with you. The first photo is about tip 3 and the second photo is about tip 2 that you gave us:

Caption: A photo of a plate full with an appetizer (Local Guide @PoliMC)Caption: A photo of a plate full with an appetizer (Local Guide @PoliMC)Caption: A photo of a bowl full with colourful eggs (Local Guide @PoliMC)Caption: A photo of a bowl full with colourful eggs (Local Guide @PoliMC)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Hello @DeniGu 

Really these photos are very nice and good quality.The sushi look very delicious.

As for me ,I like your tips .It is useful for me  to make photos in the restaurant and it is very useful for writing review .

Because it depends on how many people visit this restaurant or cafe after your review with photos.

Thank you so much @DeniGu 

I also think that your pictures looks amazing @DeniGu! For quite some time now I've been postponing to try Christina's tips, but you're post was very motivating that I'm planning this Saturday to finally give them a whirl. If they turn out great, I'll share them with you all. 🙂

Level 10

Hi @DeniGu 

Thank you for let me know about the best way to take pictures📷🤔. Three-dimensional sense feels volume and taste😋. Especially the processing of the third diagonal line is dramatic!

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 10

Hello @PoliMC 

Red in your picture is successful in stimulating appetite😋!

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 10

They're terrific photos @DeniGu and explanation. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.

Hello @DeniGu,

Congratulations for your photos, they look terrific! Just like you, I love sushi and sea food.

I wonder how you managed to find the entrance of Sasa restaurant empty, as it is always crowded. 🙂

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!