SouvickP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Posting photos as local guide ends storage quota

Hi,

While I do know that the space issue is a rather touchy subject, I feel that responses from Google associated people

could be just a tad more empathetic at times.  While I can easily afford top of the line DSLR's, Pixel phones, & buying

even buying space, many people are not in the top few percent in the US.  Even though I really enjoy Google's many

features, many things are not really user friendly, and I find it a hassle to always worry about my space, since it could

effect my vital Gmail.  Of course no one forces me to use Gmail, but I have been a loyal user for at least a decade,

and find that over time, things change.  I am by no means an expert, but I still remember using punchcards to program

in FORTRAN and using the PDP1170 for advance brain research....and using BASIC.  How we have progressed.

We paid $20,000 for a 20 Megabyte hard drive back then and ironically "Space" is still an issue.  While I do wish

that Google would somehow not essentially disable Gmail if you exceed 15 Gb by contributing to GMaps, I can

seen the marketing logic.  Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I periodically have to go to the settings & reselect

high quality to compress pics that should be compressed by default.  It seem clunky & confusing to even me.

I even bought a Pixel phone so as to try to be less inhibited by space issues, while doing GMap pics.  Even then

I still have to reselect High Quality to re-compress the uncompressed pics that I contribute....they may be from

my iPhone or my DSLR, but I do not want them to go to my drive to eat space....but every time I check how

my Drive space is being used, somehow there are uncompressed pics eating space.  I have kept the High Quality

setting for at least several months at all times, but somehow this problem persists....so all global statements

about how to manage the space have not helped much.  I find it annoying that in this age of tech, I have

to periodically go back into drive to reset HQ every few weeks or months.  I would even pay for this feature

to work "right"! 

While many, especially those associated with Google, are experts with much of how to navigate all the many

things that are Google, I feel that they may sometimes overlook how other less sophisticated users see

these platforms & the many changes.

Anyway, I would appreciate if people would try to be more empathetic, since when I see a statement like

"You're just using this as an angle to ask for more free storage", I may think that even my concerns may be thought

of as such.  Everyone does have an "angle" in some sense....but then again I am in Psychiatry, so I am

biased in many ways.  I contribute to GMaps & LG, because it is a part of my hobbies & to relax from work...

so...the less hassle, the better.  I have to deal with this ridiculous medical software system called CERNER

at work, which is beyond belief in user unfriendliness & hassle...so when I get home, the less hassle the

better...ironically, if I had bought stock in either CERNER, Alphabet, or Amazon years ago...I would not have to

work... 🙂

Anyway,  just my two cents.... 

Thanks for your input.

Thanks,

Paul:)

Level 6

Re: I'm quitting after level 7 as a local guide.

@VinkoV 

@laxmangatuam

Totally Disagree, how could you even suggest that Laxmangatuam buys extra storage from google in order to contribute to google. 

Its a social service Laxmangatuam is doing by contributing to google, Google should cover and encourage such people.

@VinkoV wrote:

@laxmangatuam There is simple solution, buy from Google some extra spa

@laxmangatuam wrote:

My point here is and writing this message : 
"To being local guide uploading information and if it will kill and eat our own gmail space unless google wont provide us extra benefit of storage than no need to be local guide". Better to  quit.... 
with this regards :
I have posted this post, with similar issue.

ce

Connect Moderator

Hi @rogerrebelo

I agree with you, because there is no needs for extra space for contributing in maps. With a correct setting, all your photos and videos are stored for free at high quality.

Please read: /How-to-use-your-space-in-Google-drive/

Ermes 

Level 7

I fully agree with your suggestion! 

Level 2

Hiii

Level 6

Really is that all it is about, but come to think of it after the hard work you have spent time which is said to be money. Then you call it quit no hope that decision was not taken. And is it really about just contributing and at the end of the day you pay for your hard work.

Level 10

Dear SouvivkP. Don't quit. To reach level 7 is not so easy. Make your photos compressed and then upload. There is solution for each difficulty. Retrive it from Transh if not deleted. Again think please.

BM63
Level 4

@PaulPavlinovich wrote:

@Rembrandt wrote:

@PaulPavlinovichIf you upload photosphere as original size, than photospheres are taking google drive space. If you leave  google to compress your photos, than no space is occupy with your photospheres or photos. This is just an answer from google to facebook policy of unlimited space for photos.But the main problem is quality or quantity. No one artist can fulfill 15 gb with masterpiece photos in a lifetime, and ordinary pet lover make at least 15 gb photos of his/her cat monthly. Of course, some kind of photos with sofisticated tonal range do not like compression from facebook or google.

Your advice is not correct @Rembrandt please read this Maps forum post https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/maps/DRI_6XfNGBQ/al-dBD4QsvUJ

Photosphere do not take space. Remember to always upload them through the Street View App. If you just add them to Maps they will take space and they come out flat.

@Rembrandt is this your primary account? You do seem to know an awful lot for a Level 1 Local Guide. 

Regards

Paul

I do agree