PetraH's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

I'm losing motivation...

I'm losing motivation to be an active member of Google local guides. Aside from the "points" we get and the rare perk, I'm not feeling a lot of love from Google and I'm wondering why I'm doing it at all.  Anyone level 9 and above, why do you continue to add to maps? Just for the joy of helping out Google itself? 🤗 

Clifton Park, NY, USA
7 comments
Level 9

Re: I'm losing motivation...

@PetraH, I finally hit level 9 this month and I'm now missing 50,000 points for Level 10. I'm a little unmotivated to be that far away. It's turned into a hobby for me, I travel a lot so I just review my hotel, restaurants, shops etc. 

But I don't know how long I'm going to continue doing this either. 

Level 10

Hi @PetraH I'm over LVL10, and I recently discovered I contributed without any interruption for 155 weeks (+1)!

It's hard to explain, I love to share, photos and informations. I did it to help in earthquake affected areas, but I often do without any specific reason.

Just don't fix goals (as i did here: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Contributor-goals/m-p/238647) and follow your istinct.

Try to be helpful when sharing best reviews (https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Share-your-best-reviews-suggestions-and-bes...) or try to suggest the way to improve Google Maps using Idea Exchange (sometimes they implement very quickly: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/All-Ideas/How-to-write-quality-content-for-Connect/idi-p/10307...

There are a lot of activities and, of course, you can have the chance to be selected for one of the greatest experience a Local Guide could have... the Connect Live Summit!

Level 9

Thank you for the pep talk @LucioV, we needed it. Now that I hit Level 9, I'm focusing on photo views. I'm at 27 million and counting with 3600 photos in 15+ countries.  

Level 8

Hi @PetraH I know the feeling, I recently hit level 8 and I thought to myself, oh for Gods sake i have to get to 50,000 before reaching level 9! This would take me ages. I live in Ireland and I have never received a perk and last night I receive an email from Google congratulating me on receiving 100,000 photo views, this to me was perk enough and I wanted to share it on Connect only for the post to be removed today  because it was deemed not relevant. Its hard to understand as I have seen Level 10 guides posting similar posts and didn't get removed. I'm not part of the clique obviously. I have been a regular contribution on Connect and appreciated by my fellow local guides.  I now feel very disillusioned with local guide and connect and it makes me feel sad today 🤔

Level 8

@PetraH I am a level 8 and no where near level 9. I sometimes ask the same question as you, but then I remember, all the times I have used the reviews from people to make a determination on a place I should visit or stop to eat at. I have never really done this for the perks but when they happen it is nice and the ultimate goal would be like @LucioV stated and be picked to go to a Connect Live meet. But that is the beauty of this program, you can contribute if you want to, take a break if you want to, or quit all together if you want to.

Level 8

Also I live in a small country where the population is less then 5 million so if you take children out of that and the very elderly probably 3 million so I will not get as many people viewing my reviews and viewing my photos as say India or Africa. We wouldn't get as many tourists or have as many places to review as guides in Larger countries. With the whole of Ireland under 5,000,000 there is probably as many as this in one city in India. 🙂

Connect Moderator

@PetraH Getting to level 9 is definitely a great accomplishment, and something not to be taken lightly! And it's understandable if you get the feeling of burnt out after providing so much contributions, and there's no harm to take a break here and there.

As for me, personally I do this because I know the information I provide will help people, and I know that I can rely on others' information to provide me with the information when needed. That's pretty much it.

I'm just curious, why do you say that you're not feeling a lot of love from Google? Can you share your thought? What would make you more motivated?