SubBass100's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

I caught the Apple Maps vehicle today.

My security camera picked up a bland Apple van today covered in LIDAR sensors, cameras, and what appears to be an encoder on the rear wheel. Google has been running street view for a while now and it seems with the Google facility in Pittsburgh there are pretty comprehensive maps of, in, and around the local towns and businesses. With this being said, what can apple really gain by "retaking" street view images? I took a look at their website and from what I can tell, the mapping service is only available on apple devices. Clearly not everyone uses apple devices, so wouldn't that just create a small niche market for their devices? It seems like a waste when Google Maps / Earth and Street View are available on IOS devices. I guess it's good to have options though? What do you think?

North Versailles, PA 15137, United States
2 comments
Level 9

Re: I caught the Apple Maps vehicle today.

There is life outside the realm of Google. They have to compete and keep traffic to their products. Consumers want choice and apple has a huge dedicated customer base that just will not go someplace else. It is sort of like people still use Yahoo mail.  

With the move towards self-driving cars if a company is going to play they need to know and have well mapped all the areas they want to operate in. So the serious companies have to do it. Also for SEO purposes companies should know to be listed on Apple maps as well as that other product Bing.

Great shot of the van I had not seen one, thanks

Level 8

Re: I caught the Apple Maps vehicle today.

What I did notice are the three laser scanners fitted to the vehicle. They are not only photographing but scanning the roads to provide a complete 3D product and measuring the distances with the device on the rear wheels.

Cool shots