kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

How to write travel guides of your city using lists

Caption: A photo of a line of people boarding a propellor plane on the tarmac at Finland’s Kokkola-Pietarsaari Airport. (Local Guide ruddy karundeng)Caption: A photo of a line of people boarding a propellor plane on the tarmac at Finland’s Kokkola-Pietarsaari Airport. (Local Guide ruddy karundeng)

Recently, we launched a new YouTube series, On My List, that brings great Local Guides’ lists to life. So far, we’ve followed around Local Guides who are passionate about carnitas tacos, free things to do in New York City, and the best views in Pune, India, and have many more episodes on the way. Lists are a great way to share specific interests with others, but you can also use lists to create travel guides for your city.

Your list could simply feature your favorite places or it could cater to a specific group, like people traveling with children. As a reminder, here’s how to create and share a list. Lists should include at least five places, have informative titles and descriptions that explain what the list is about, and include notes for why you included each spot. Here’s a few ideas for what types of places to include on a travel guide:

• Where to fuel up with coffee or tea before a busy day of exploring
  • Restaurant options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (note your favorite dishes or any info about dietary restriction accommodations)
  • Can’t-miss sightseeing spots, including museums, monuments, and places with amazing views
  • Great places to grab snacks or take-out meals for hungry on-the-go travelers
  • Best places to spend time outdoors like a park, beach, hiking trail, or playground for families with kids
  • Where to go when the sun goes down, like bars with excellent cocktails, fun karaoke spots, or comedy clubs

Share your lists with the world by setting it to Public and it could be featured on the Explore tab on Google Maps. Then, share your list with your fellow Local Guides by posting it on the Travel board. Start a new post that features a link to your list and tell us why you made the list and what makes the places on it special.

Need some inspiration? Browse other lists of spots in your area on the Google Maps app, just swipe up and start exploring!

15 comments
Level 10

Re: How to write travel guides of your city using lists

Nice post @kmajewski I have been creating city travel guide using Map list and share with fellow Local Guides and travelers and I find it very useful and easy to guide people. 

Level 8

Nice post hope it will be very helpful @kmajewski

Level 9

Helpful for all @kmajewski nice post thank you for sharing with us...

Connect Moderator

@kmajewski Very nice and helpful post for travel guiding !!! 

Thanks for share..

Happy Guiding !!

Level 7

Thanks @kmajewski for this tips, I just created a list and I always thought that creating a list can be a difficult thing but it's quite easy. Looking forward to get some amazing lists by fellow local guides.

Level 10

Betreff: How to write travel guides of your city using lists

@kmajewski Thanks for compiling this small tutorial. I will try it out over the weekend. I have never worked with the lists before, so kinda interesting how it will turn out using your guideline.

Level 9

Nice information, thank you @kmajewski for sharing with us.

Level 6

Well written! Great read. Useful & informative. 

Angilina
Connect Moderator

Nice post! @kmajewski

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.