AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

How to write reviews for people with dietary restrictions

The reviews Local Guides like you share on Google Maps can give people important information that helps them make decisions about where they go. When you’re reviewing a restaurant, one of the most helpful details you can share is whether or not it accommodates people with restricted diets.

Dining out should be an enjoyable experience, but it can be a stressful one for people with food allergies or dietary restrictions. Some restaurants just don’t have many options for them. So, they end up taking a long time to decide what to order, ordering something they don’t like, or not ordering at all.

While some restaurants share their menus online, many people look at reviews to make decisions about where and what they’ll eat. Now that you can search keywords and phrases in reviews on Google Maps, it’s easier than ever to find reviews that give you the information you need. People with dietary restrictions can search things like “gluten-free” or “vegan-friendly” and instantly find reviews that give them details about their options.

Here are some tips for writing reviews that help people with restricted diets.

Caption: A photo of gluten-free and vegan pastries on display. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of gluten-free and vegan pastries on display. (Getty Images)

Gluten-free

People who have celiac disease or a gluten-intolerance need to avoid gluten because it can be harmful to their health. When people with celiac disease eat gluten, their immune system responds by damaging their small intestine. To treat the disease, they eliminate wheat, barley, rye and other grains that contain gluten from their diet. That means no bread, beer, cake, pasta, soy sauce, or cereal, just to name a few.

Want to help guide gluten-free eaters? Find out if a restaurant has gluten-free alternatives and add this information to your reviews. Or share photos of signage that shows gluten-free options are available.

Caption: A photo of a veggie burger with cheese, lettuce, pickles, and onions with a side of fries. (Local Guide Tim McCoy)Caption: A photo of a veggie burger with cheese, lettuce, pickles, and onions with a side of fries. (Local Guide Tim McCoy)

Vegetarian

While there’s usually at least one meatless dish on a restaurant’s menu, vegetarians want options! If you’re eating at a meat-heavy restaurant, such as a BBQ joint or a steakhouse, take note of the vegetarian options available. Are there meat substitutes? Can some of the most popular dishes be made vegetarian? Is a salad the only vegetarian option?

Think about these questions when you’re writing reviews to help vegetarians make decisions about where they eat. Or create a list of the best vegetarian-friendly restaurants in your area to help guide others to great meatless meals.

Caption: A photo of a vegan salad with quinoa, seitan, black beans, corn, avocado, tomato, tortilla strips, tofu crema, and a sliced lime. (Local Guide Athena dB)Caption: A photo of a vegan salad with quinoa, seitan, black beans, corn, avocado, tomato, tortilla strips, tofu crema, and a sliced lime. (Local Guide Athena dB)Vegan

People who eat a vegan diet don’t eat meat, fish, poultry, dairy, or any other animal products. It can often be difficult for them to find menu items that meet their needs because
eggs, milk, and butter are such popular ingredients.

To help them out, keep an eye out for vegan dishes when you’re looking at a menu. Some restaurants make them easy to find by explicitly labeling menu items as vegan. If you order one, give a detailed account of what you thought and be sure to use the keyword “vegan” in your review. Adding a photo? Remember that color is key when shooting vegetarian or vegan dishes.

Dairy-free

A dairy-free diet eliminates milk and all related products such as butter, yogurt, and cheese. Luckily for dairy-free eaters, there are many alternative options such as soy, almond, and coconut milk products. However, not all restaurants, cafes, or bakeries offer them.

Your contributions on Google Maps can help people discover which ones do. Writing a review about a cafe? Include information about any milk substitutes they offer. Enjoying a pastry at a local bakery? Ask if they have any dairy-free desserts and include that information in your review.

These are just a few of many food allergies or preferences people can have, but we hope this gets you thinking about ways you can guide people with dietary restrictions. What are some of your favorite gluten-free, vegetarian, or vegan-friendly restaurants? Tell us in the comments!

28 comments
Level 8

Re: How to write reviews for people with dietary restrictions

Thanks @AriMar for share with us. Its very helpful.

Level 8

@AriMar This is a very helpful post. I am sure lot of LG's will learn a lot from this post. 

Thank you very much.

Regards

Badruddeen

Connect Moderator

Thank you @AriMar,

in fact not a very long time ago I was aware that diary is somehow related with medical compatibility. I thought it was „only“ a food Philosophie...

It shows that always we need to inform ourselves before judging...

Thank you for sharing this information.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

This is just the guide I needed, @AriMar! While I usually try to keep an eye out for food allergies such as nuts and things like that, I usually had trouble providing any insight in regards to gluten-free or vegan because before joining LG I never really looked into those options when dining out. At last year's summit, I met @DDuangnet , who is gluten-free and even has her own vlog, and that experience with her taught me a lot about paying attention to those dietary needs that many people may have, but we may not be aware of. With the implementation of the search function for reviews, I could see how including pertinent information like this in our reviews can make the difference.

Thanks again!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 10

Thank you for sharing @AriMar

Best Regards
Rezgar

Level 8

Thanks @AriMar for all suggestions, i didn’t known about some or them. Good informations and  ideas for helping people with dietary restrictions !

New Caledonia Local Guides -------------------> Do you know the city I live?
If you want to translate this content into your own language, use the Google Translate drop-down menu just below the title of this post.

Level 8

It is really helpful @AriMar 

I always check the accessibility and ambience of the local businesses and hereafter I'll consider these points in mind for reviews.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.

Level 8

@AriMar, Thank you so much for the very important post for the members of LG who want to review actionably. It is true that in restaurant some time food lovers might face a problem like, somebody does not eat beef, somebody does not eat pork, somebody has problem to eat oily food. Hundres of problem may be faced. If we review the restaurant by considering these I think it will be helpful for the people. They can take proper decision to go there. Thanks again.Sunny Dale CoffeeSunny Dale Coffee

Puri and beefPuri and beef

Level 9

Hello @AriMar 
Thanks for the great tip, feel free to have a look at my this review of a dessert cafe here 
Here is picture of Fish & Chips, since I'm not a vegetarian, I order meat almost all the time  :)Here is picture of Fish & Chips, since I'm not a vegetarian, I order meat almost all the time 🙂

Keeping your guidelines in my mind I'll try to improve my review quality 🙂

Best Regards