kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

How to write hotel reviews

Caption: A photos of the Hotel Negresco in Nice, France showing it's cream, pink, and turquoise Art Deco exterior with large gold letters spelling out the hotel's name on the domed roof and smaller gold letters over the entrance to the lobby. (Local Guide Alberto Gozzelino)Caption: A photos of the Hotel Negresco in Nice, France showing it's cream, pink, and turquoise Art Deco exterior with large gold letters spelling out the hotel's name on the domed roof and smaller gold letters over the entrance to the lobby. (Local Guide Alberto Gozzelino)

Going on vacation is something I look forward to every year. Getting away from the office and my everyday routine for a little bit to see a new city makes me feel refreshed, relaxed, and inspired. Planning the vacation, however, is not something I look forward to as it can easily become stressful and confusing trying to figure out what to do and where to stay.

But that’s where Local Guides save the day. People all over the world can read reviews from Local Guides like you that help them plan out where to go in unfamiliar cities. One of the most helpful types of reviews for visitors is hotel reviews, which help them find the right home away from home for their trip.

Here are a few tips to make your hotel reviews even more helpful.

Describe your room so others can envision what it was like

Did your room feel spacious or cramped? Was the furniture in good condition or did it feel like it could be maintained better? Explain the particulars of your room and bathroom including details about size, condition, cleanliness, and how comfortable it was. Don’t forget to describe the view, too!

Explain what services and amenities the hotel offers and your experience with them

This can include info about everything from an on-site gym, pool, spa, and complimentary buffet breakfast to accessibility, room service, housekeeping, and high-speed internet. Tell people about what you enjoyed and anything that fell short of your expectations. Also note your experience with reception and other hotel staff—were they friendly and helpful?

Tell others what the hotel’s location is really like

Is the hotel near the city center or more on the outskirts of the action? Describe the part of town the hotel is in and what’s near it, making sure to note whether points of interest—like shops, sightseeing spots, restaurants, and bars—are within walking distance or if a car is necessary. If there’s public transportation nearby, be sure to note that as well.

Give a sense of the vibe of the hotel and who might enjoy staying there

Is the hotel kid-friendly or does it cater to couples? Is the atmosphere romantic or is it more of a place for people in town for business? Let others know what to expect in terms of ambiance and other hotel guests.

What do you look for in hotel reviews? Tell us in the comments below!

23 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to write hotel reviews

This is a great write-up, @kmajewski - I think the points of  Tell others what the hotel’s location is really likeGive a sense of the vibe of the hotel and who might enjoy staying there are really important and may tend to be overlooked. I know in a few of my own hotel reviews I focus on the rooms themselves and amenities, but it's critical to touch on the locations as some hotels may not have bars or restaurants within and visitors may want to be close to those options. Also, a hotel that is great for those in the airline industry may not be the best bet for kids, so also another important aspect. I try to include relevant information in my reviews and there is never a halt in learning how to improve. 

Thanks for sharing! 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

Hi @kmajewski:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I really appreciate it when I see a thorough review of a hotel, especially the location and how it is in relation to other attractions. I think it also helps to understand whether or not the area is safe for exploration, particularly at night.

Really hope to see others adopting some of the suggestions you have here! 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 10

This is also one necessary article for local guides. Thanks for sharing @kmajewski

I write about the room and cleanliness, the behavior of staff, the prices, foods and minibar. Also I respect to see such aspects in reviews for hotels because these really help for staying in a hotel or not. Of course we should be aware that good photos will complete a good review  

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 10

@kmajewski Thanks for sharing this, very useful indeed. One other thing I look for in reviews is service and helpfulness. I am higher likely to stay in a place where many guests give good comments on how helpful the staff members are and especially if the staff members go out out their way to help their guests. 

And also connectivity to the Internet. Strong and fast wifi is a must. 

Level 8

Hi @kmajewski:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts I really appreciate

Level 10

Level 6

Thanks for sharing. I do enjoy hotels that makes special consideration during various seasons, rush periods and discount concessions. However, location as you have pointed out is also an important consideration.

Level 9

Useful tips @kmajewski ,I will make a review about how the room will be ,and how the hotel staff take caring guests I will write down my review...

Level 9

Hello @kmajewski

Thanks for very useful information.

I travel a lot and always write vewiew about the hotel.

I pay my attention on the service in the restaurant,service in the room,is there a air conditioner (it is need in very hot season), if there a playground and pool for children and children menu in restaurant.

Location and transfer is important too.

I write about  the staff in the hotel.

And sure I add infirmation about transport ,suprmarkets, excursion for visiting sighseeing.