AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: How to write helpful reviews for people with accessibility needs

Hi @AlejandraMaria..

The photos regarding accesibility which you shared will be sure helpful to so many people. Thanks for sharing! :))

Vellore Local Guides
Level 7

Great article. I’m going to focus more of my pictures and reviews on accessibility. Thanks!

Level 8

@AriMar thanks for sharing this wonderful information. Will include from these helpful info from my next review.

Smile 🙂

Nithin Nambiar

Level 9

Great and useful post

Thanks @AriMar

For sharing

Cheers

Saudi local guide 🇸🇦

Level 7

@AriMar: Thanks for the guidance, I will start adding accessibility pics in mu reviews from now onwards.

anurag giri
Level 9

Bls: How to write helpful reviews for people with accessibility needs

Halo @AriMar

thanks for sharing about this article, i hope u can everyday help others

Level 8

Great article.  I never thought about it when writing a review, but get questions all the time about mobility access.

Level 9

Hi @SalmaanN!

Thanks for your kind words 🙂

Nice to see you again :)))

Good Morning from the South of Spain,

Alejandra.

Level 8

Hi! Thank you for  this recommendations. But I have a question. 

Most of my reviews have a accessibility comments but I write in Spanish using the word "accesibilidad" "silla de ruedas" "muletas" etc. The review in Spanish can help in the program? Or I should write all my reviews in English? 

Level 7

@AriMar wrote:

More than 65 million people worldwide need wheelchairs to get around. Yet, information about accessibility isn’t always easy to find.

From sharing photos of wheelchair-friendly entrances to answering questions about accessibility, Local Guides like you can help make life easier for many people by adding this important info on Google Maps. This doesn’t just help people who use wheelchairs, but also helps families with strollers, seniors with walkers, and people on crutches.

Another way you can help is by sharing detailed reviews about the accessibility features of places you go. Now that you can search reviews on Google Maps, be sure to include keywords such as “wheelchair” and “accessible” in your review so people can easily find them.

Here are some tips for writing reviews for people with accessibility needs.

Caption: A photo of a wheelchair-accessible parking spot marked in paint on the ground. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a wheelchair-accessible parking spot marked in paint on the ground. (Getty Images)

Add specific details about accessibility access outside of the building.

As you make your way through a parking lot, note whether or not there are accessible parking spaces and access aisles. These areas are usually clearly marked with placards, signs, or painted markings on the ground. You may even want to count how many accessible parking spaces you see and add that information to your review.

Does the main entrance of the building have step-free access or a ramp for people who use mobility devices? If not, is there another entrance they can use? Once they get to the entrance, are the doors easy for customers to open? Are they wide enough for people who use wheelchairs?

Keep these questions in mind when you write your review.

Caption: A photo of seating in a theater with seats designated for people who use wheelchairs. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of seating in a theater with seats designated for people who use wheelchairs. (Getty Images)

Then, look around for accessible features inside the building.

A few things to keep a lookout for include: elevators, wheelchair-accessible seating, and accessible restrooms. They should all be reachable without having to go up or down any stairs.

Places with accessible seating should have enough space for someone in a wheelchair to navigate the room and get situated. Restaurants and bars that only have high tables are not accessible.

Caption: A photo of a wheelchair-accessible ramp outside of an entryway that leads to an outdoor space with tables and chairs. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a wheelchair-accessible ramp outside of an entryway that leads to an outdoor space with tables and chairs. (Getty Images)

Remember: some of the details you’d never think to add to your review can be the most helpful details for someone else.

Consider accessibility features wherever you go. Your reviews can help a wheelchair user comfortably enjoy a concert at a new venue, or book the right hotel for a family trip. Even adding a quick line about accessibility to all your future reviews makes a big difference.

Another example? The doctor’s office. Some patients rely on adjustable medical equipment to get proper care. They can’t easily get on the examination table if it’s at a high, fixed height. So, next time you go in for a check-up, ask your doctor if the office has accessible medical equipment. Then, include that information in your review.

These are just a few of the many things to look out for when writing reviews for people with accessibility needs. But we hope this gets you thinking about ways you can help guide them in your reviews.

Do you often share accessibility info on Google Maps? Have you created a list of accessible places in your area? Tell us in the comments below.

Nice post. I learned many things about making reviews of places. In reviews we can see the mirroring of that place.

So many many thanks.

With best regards,

Buddhadeb