AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

How to write helpful reviews for people with accessibility needs

More than 65 million people worldwide need wheelchairs to get around. Yet, information about accessibility isn’t always easy to find.

From sharing photos of wheelchair-friendly entrances to answering questions about accessibility, Local Guides like you can help make life easier for many people by adding this important info on Google Maps. This doesn’t just help people who use wheelchairs, but also helps families with strollers, seniors with walkers, and people on crutches.

Another way you can help is by sharing detailed reviews about the accessibility features of places you go. Now that you can search reviews on Google Maps, be sure to include keywords such as “wheelchair” and “accessible” in your review so people can easily find them.

Here are some tips for writing reviews for people with accessibility needs.

Caption: A photo of a wheelchair-accessible parking spot marked in paint on the ground. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a wheelchair-accessible parking spot marked in paint on the ground. (Getty Images)

Add specific details about accessibility access outside of the building.

As you make your way through a parking lot, note whether or not there are accessible parking spaces and access aisles. These areas are usually clearly marked with placards, signs, or painted markings on the ground. You may even want to count how many accessible parking spaces you see and add that information to your review.

Does the main entrance of the building have step-free access or a ramp for people who use mobility devices? If not, is there another entrance they can use? Once they get to the entrance, are the doors easy for customers to open? Are they wide enough for people who use wheelchairs?

Keep these questions in mind when you write your review.

Caption: A photo of seating in a theater with seats designated for people who use wheelchairs. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of seating in a theater with seats designated for people who use wheelchairs. (Getty Images)

Then, look around for accessible features inside the building.

A few things to keep a lookout for include: elevators, wheelchair-accessible seating, and accessible restrooms. They should all be reachable without having to go up or down any stairs.

Places with accessible seating should have enough space for someone in a wheelchair to navigate the room and get situated. Restaurants and bars that only have high tables are not accessible.

Caption: A photo of a wheelchair-accessible ramp outside of an entryway that leads to an outdoor space with tables and chairs. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a wheelchair-accessible ramp outside of an entryway that leads to an outdoor space with tables and chairs. (Getty Images)

Remember: some of the details you’d never think to add to your review can be the most helpful details for someone else.

Consider accessibility features wherever you go. Your reviews can help a wheelchair user comfortably enjoy a concert at a new venue, or book the right hotel for a family trip. Even adding a quick line about accessibility to all your future reviews makes a big difference.

Another example? The doctor’s office. Some patients rely on adjustable medical equipment to get proper care. They can’t easily get on the examination table if it’s at a high, fixed height. So, next time you go in for a check-up, ask your doctor if the office has accessible medical equipment. Then, include that information in your review.

These are just a few of the many things to look out for when writing reviews for people with accessibility needs. But we hope this gets you thinking about ways you can help guide them in your reviews.

Do you often share accessibility info on Google Maps? Have you created a list of accessible places in your area? Tell us in the comments below.

61 comments
Level 8

Re: How to write helpful reviews for people with accessibility needs

Thanks AriMar for sharing, this is really insightful.

Level 2

Thank you for sharing.

Connect Moderator

In restaurants, museums and similar places I always check if the entrance and bathroom are accessible, if there's enough room inside and if it's a restaurant if the tables are the proper height and size. I add that information on my reviews as well. This post made me realize that I forget to check places like the doctor's office, and to check everywhere whether things are reachable. I will try my best to remember!

Thank you for sharing this @AriMar! I will begin to do a list of completely accessible places in Buenos Aires ☺️

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rif.: How to write helpful reviews for people with accessibility needs

Good morning @AriMar,

I thank you for this information and advice, which are very dear to me as to many other members of the community. I also recommend taking pictures of public places with architectural barriers, in order to try to stimulate the change and let people know that this place is not accessible to everyone.

Google Editor

@Jesi Thanks so much for doing your part to help others! 

Google Editor

@Anonymous Great advice! Thank you for sharing it with the community. 

Level 10

@AriMar  

congratulations for this post, I have a thread that collect images of SV from all over the world, and then I talked to my dear friend @Vasudeo 

that LGs from all over the world could start to point out places dedicated to the disabled, but the idea is more innovative:

intervene on Google Maps with an orange icon that is always visible during the day as it is bright in the absence or with little light so that the handicapped could quickly find places in his area where he finds assistance and even facilitated routes.

a new icon to be created by Maps Makers, a symbol that could be the international symbol of the wheelchair. And then clicking on the icon would open a card with more information about the services at that point.

The same should be created in Braille for the blind with a dedicated app with new touch screens in Braille transmitting information in this communication system.

In 2018 with the existing technologies I think it is feasible.

At the discretion of the LG that then with this icon could put in the local maps new points with photos or 360 to facilitate the handicapped.

the friend @Vasudeo  He told me that if this were the case and I believe it, the handicapped would be more happy to leave the house and today many leave little because the cities have little or have but there is no system today that signals them in real time which services / assistance / facilitation has / would have left the house. 

what do you think about it ?  

Is this icon for the disabled and a Braille touch app still a dream or can you start doing something?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8OYjTi198BTbTL9o1

I have attached the link of my album on Google Photos dedicated to places for the disabled and supports that for now I met on my trip around the world with SV without itinerary.
Level 8

Thanks @AriMar for share with us, it's very helpful.

Level 10

Thank you @AriMar. I have learned so many things from your post and trying to improving myself.