TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

What is 'Tagging' & How to use @TAG in LG Connect - TravellerG

Hi, dear All,

Here is a simple compilation of data, I collected over the past few months, regarding 'Connect Tagging'.

What is TAGGING & How to use '@TAG' in Connect.

When we start any post [or letter], we start with:

‘Hi everyone’ / 'Dear Friends' or similar addressing… is it not?

In connect too, this is what we all do; but we have an additional facility to ‘address & notify’, up to 10 LGs (per Post), personally. That is what Tagging is!

• In LG Connect, ‘@ID’ (ID = username of a LG) is used to specifically address a LG (or a moderator), to get their direct attention, by sending a Notification to him/her.
  • Using “@” before the Username (No gap between '@'symbol & Username) of an addressing person, is known as “Tagging”. For example, my LG Connect ID is ‘TravellerG’ (Important: Tags are Case sensitive) and I can be notified about a post, by using ‘@TravellerG’ TAG in your post.
  • After (SLOWLY) typing Symbol ‘@’ + 2 characters, Connect, starts giving you, option of the names of different LGs and select the right one, from the drop-down menu.
  • The selected name along with the ‘@’ sign, will be shown in light blue color.
  • Important:
    • Type the ID (Name) characters very, very slowly (Alphabet by Alphabet), as fast typing may not display the Tag you want.
    • Once you see your expected username in the drop-down menu, select it from the Drop-down Menu (directly) to add as Tag, by clicking on it.
    • Also, avoid moving computer cursor, using the arrow key, over the tagged names.
    • Tags can be typed continuously or separately; however, copy & pasting of a chain of Tags, may not work always.

Other Important Points:

1. Always, better to Tag ‘Like-minded people ONLY; for knowing this, {1} Go through published posts and collect IDs of those who have published posts, with the topics of your interest. (Eg: I may be tagged in your posts of topics like, Photography, Travel, Street View, Technical Discussions, FAQ, Tips, etc.)  {2} Collect the names of LGs who have Replied to your Posts.   {3} And collect the names of LGs who have given KUDOS to your posts! (Make a practice of noting down Like-Minded LGs' names, as it will help you in future Posts). {4} Make a request in your Post, to your friends to TAG their Like-Minded friends, which will also help a lot.
  2. Tag Moderators, ONLY if it is very much needed:
    1. First, search your doubt, in the Connect forum, & if you don’t get a satisfied answer, then,
    2. Post your doubt in our Connect Forum - one of our LGs or voluntarily, a moderator will answer you.
    3. And, still, if your doubt persists, then feel free to TAG one or two, or Maximum three Moderators – your doubt will be cleared.
  3. Avoid tagging moderators for general posts (even if you don’t tag, some of the moderators will attend, almost all the posts), unless, they show specific interest in a topic.
  4. Tagging is permitted only up to a maximum of 10 IDs; a post having more than 10 tags will be denied to be posted, while publishing/submitting.
  5. I stress, not to over Tag, by using TAGs, in the answers (unless it is really essential); it is not a good practice.
  6. As a courtesy, avoid tagging people, who are continuously NOT RESPONDING to your post – assume that they may not be interested in viewing your posts. Eg: if you tag me 3 posts and if I don’t respond (which is less likely), kindly avoid tagging me from your next post onward, thanks.
  7. As another courtesy, avoid tagging TraciC, as she is the chief, unless casualty emerges.

** Removing accidental @ signs in mobile posts or comments: Type 2 more XX (alphabets), after @sign & select '@XX' [all 3 characters] as a single text block [by continuously pressing on @XX]. Then delete the 'text block' by pressing a space-bar or Backspace.

** Give KUDOS Liberally so that you can get back, more Kudos.

@LucioV @davidhyno @JanVanHaver @AmbrishVarshney @NareshDarji.

Thanks dear all..

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

61 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: How to use @TAG in Connect - TravellerG

Hello @TravellerG, there is a trick for removing superfluous @ signs in mobile posts or comments: just type some more @ signs to get a text block consisting of them. Then select that text block and replace it with e.g. a space or a character.

[Credits to the fellow LG who explained this to me, but I forgot who it was]

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello @TravellerG, there is a trick for removing superfluous @ signs in mobile posts or comments: just type some more @ signs to get a text block consisting of them. Then select that text block and replace it with e.g. a space or a character.

[Credits to the fellow LG who explained this to me, but I forgot who it was]

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

Great and useful post @TravellerG

The main trick is to type slowly! I can also add that using tagging in mobile browsers sometimes causes exiting the edit and automatically navigate to the user profile; it's a little tricky to tag users on mobile!

Connect Moderator

Thank you @TravellerG

for the new post about tagging people:

Adding a few note:

Tagging a Google Moderator: one is enough, you don't need to tag more than one, from the list that you can find here: Meet the Google Moderators. Avoid to tag Googlers that are not in the list, they will probably not respond to you.

Tagging a Connect Moderator: Meet the Connect Moderators will help to find a Connect Moderator close to your area

Tagging untaggable people: there is a trick to tag untaggable people too, even if it is a bit difficult to manage it on mobile:

• open in a new page the profile of the LG that you want to tag. Let say Ermest
  • tag someone in your post, let say @TravellerG
  • switch the editor to HTML
  • your tag will be: <"li-user login="TravellerG" uid="347754">
  • replace "TravellerG"  with "ermest" (my username)
  • replace uid="347754" with uid="46754" (my ID number)
  • switch to RICH TEXT again
  • Your untaggable LG is tagged now

Ermes

Google Moderator

Thank you for sharing @TravellerG

Local Guides will appreciate your thorough advice on tagging other Local Guides or Google and Connect Moderators.

@ErmesT, thank you for adding the HTML specifics. Your tips are very useful when it comes to tagging people who are not easily found by the common tag.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thanks for putting this together @TravellerG yes please only tag Googlers and Connect Moderators when you really need us urgently. Every post gets read by at least one of us so there is no need to tag us generally except in urgent cases.

Regards Paul

Level 10

Great tips sir @TravellerG .. thanks for sharing with us

Level 10

I was always looking for this @ sign to be removed while making post through smartphone @JanVanHaver thanks for giving this brilliant idea. 

Level 10

another great idea to tag the unable to tag people, thank you sir @ErmesT. it will help us a lot

Connect Moderator

you are welcome @NandKK

I know by experience how difficult is when you are not able to tag people 😞