Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to tell a story through your photography

A great photo can be appealing to look at, but it can also be more than that. The best photos tell a story by sparking an emotion or sharing a message.

For example, a photo of a desk covered in clutter and haphazardly strewn papers can tell the story of a disorganized person living a chaotic lifestyle. It can make the viewer feel stressed and wonder who owns the desk or how it got that way. For some, it may even feel relatable. 

Now, picture a restaurant with wooden tables, chairs, and floors. The walls have exposed brick and string lights hang from the ceiling to give off soft lighting. A wood burning stove can be seen in the background. The tables are covered in mismatched dishes with crusty loaves of bread, pizzas with charred crust, and lots and lots of pasta. A photo of this scene tells the story of a cozy, rustic Italian restaurant where you can load up on carbs.

By understanding how you can create a story through the photos you take, you will capture stronger images and become a better visual storyteller. Here are a few tips to get you there.

1. Photograph a subject that interests you

Whether it’s nature, food, architecture, or something else, capturing a subject you care about can help you compose a better photo. When you photograph something you’re interested in, you’ll be more inclined to explore a scene for different shots.

Caption: A close-up photo of a woman’s hands taking a photo of a pathway and trees with her smartphone. (Getty Images)Caption: A close-up photo of a woman’s hands taking a photo of a pathway and trees with her smartphone. (Getty Images)

2. Think about the story you want to tell before you click the shutter

Going to a location or event you think will make for great photographs? Create a shot list beforehand to help define your story’s message. Write down the different things you hope to capture so that you don’t forget once you get there. Thinking about the story you want to tell beforehand will help you determine what to capture when you arrive on the scene.

You may also want to take a peek on Google Maps to see what has been photographed at that location before. Seek out new angles to tell your own story about a well-known location or subject.

Caption: A screenshot of a photography shot list for a garden photo shoot written on a smartphone.Caption: A screenshot of a photography shot list for a garden photo shoot written on a smartphone.

3. Capture a mood

An emotion can be created by utilizing different elements such as weather, shapes, color, and light. These elements can create an emotional connection with the person viewing your photo.

In the image below, the fog and warm color of the sunrise help to make you feel a sense of calmness and tranquility.

Caption: A photo of houses on a mountain range with fog in a valley, located in Pha Chang Noi, Thailand. (Local Guides Romeo P.)Caption: A photo of houses on a mountain range with fog in a valley, located in Pha Chang Noi, Thailand. (Local Guides Romeo P.)

4. Use a variety of camera angles

Shoot a photo series that follows a narrative format, with a beginning, middle, and end.

For example, when you go to a new cafe to have a cup of coffee, photograph your experience as it unfolds. Capture the exterior when you arrive, take a photo of the interior, and then photograph your coffee—all from different angles. Sharing the photo together on Google Maps will help to tell a story about your experience to others looking at your photos.

Caption: A tryptic of photos of a cafe exterior, interior of tables and chairs, and a closeup of a cup of coffee with a cookie. Taken at Original Sorveteria e Cafeteria - Original Sorvetes, in São Paulo, Brazil. (Local Guide Regiane Ratcu)Caption: A tryptic of photos of a cafe exterior, interior of tables and chairs, and a closeup of a cup of coffee with a cookie. Taken at Original Sorveteria e Cafeteria - Original Sorvetes, in São Paulo, Brazil. (Local Guide Regiane Ratcu)

5. Add human action

Including people in your frame can spark an emotional connection between the viewer and what’s happening in the photo. This connection can draw a viewer into the scene, and make them want to know more.

In the photo below, the addition of people in the scene adds a sense of movement, and shows us more about the experience of rowing boats on a river in Vietnam.

Caption: A photo of people with Asian conical hats rowing boats on the Mekong Delta in Mỹ Tho, Vietnam. (Local Guide Meng He)Caption: A photo of people with Asian conical hats rowing boats on the Mekong Delta in Mỹ Tho, Vietnam. (Local Guide Meng He)

6. Wait for the right moment 

Be patient and ready to capture a fleeting moment. In the photo below, the shutter was clicked just as the train came into the frame, resulting in a photograph that shows a contrast between machine and nature. The composition shows a sense of movement. By anticipating a moment, you can successfully tell a story through the photos you take.

Caption: A photo of a train accelerating on outdoor railroad tracks surrounded by cherry blossom trees. Photographed at Shiminkōen-mae Station in Kakamigahara, Japan. (Local Guide Jonny Owatari)Caption: A photo of a train accelerating on outdoor railroad tracks surrounded by cherry blossom trees. Photographed at Shiminkōen-mae Station in Kakamigahara, Japan. (Local Guide Jonny Owatari)

How do you utilize storytelling in your photography? Share your photos and tell us what story you tried to convey in the comments below.

165 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to tell a story through your photography

@Christina-NYC very technical and informative. 

I always following your techniques and hopefully its increasing day by day...

A photo from my village in Cumilla, BangladeshA photo from my village in Cumilla, Bangladesh

A photo captured during the 36 Walk . Pavement with bricks, Dry cannel & a bridge @ Betila, ManikganjA photo captured during the 36 Walk . Pavement with bricks, Dry cannel & a bridge @ Betila, Manikganj

Level 9

Thank you @Christina-NYC 

for your perfect post.

I absolutely agree with you ,from nice photo we can create the best story.

If the person has a good imagination -he or she can write amazing story.

I think your post is very important for local guides who create posts without any description.

Thank you for excellent photos.

Level 9

I would like to share my photo @Christina-NYC IMG_20190309_094955cv.jpg

This photo was taken by me in the Museum of flax and birch bark in the city of Kostroma.,on it you can see how the craftswoman in the national Russian sundress teaches how to create products from birch bark.This unique craft is passed down from generation to generation.Mistress weaves sandals--vintage shoes from birch bark.Nearby are the objects of everyday life in ancient times.You yourself can try to make these sandals.Some birch bark products can be purchased too.

Level 7

Hi @Christina-NYC  Thank you for sharing these techniques... It will help me to click great photos. 

Connect Moderator

@Christina-NYC your post is like a moving movie with strong narrations. I like how to pass the information at every stage.

Thanks for sharing guide. 

Level 10

Thanks for start a interest Topic , my first choice  natural places then food and historical place . now there i share 3 pic hope you like this  @Christina-NYC

Blue MosqueBlue Mosque

kashmiri faludakashmiri faluda

27747536_2152703628076784_361190728518821174_o.jpg

Mahabub Hasan
Level 9

Hi @Christina-NYC thanks for sharing the super useful photography tools. I'll consider all these tricks while capturing my photos.

I want to share a photo which i captured in #36photowalk i hope you'll like it 🙂

Caption: Photo from Mehrauli Archeological site, New Delhi, India (Photo by Local Guide Ishant Gautam).Caption: Photo from Mehrauli Archeological site, New Delhi, India (Photo by Local Guide Ishant Gautam).

Level 6

Thank you for this information

Darshawn Phillip Romine
Level 9

Hi @Christina-NYC  thank you for sharing this helpful post with us on connect. It is really very interesting and really admirable pictures.