AnnaDickson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

How to take photos of kid-friendly places

Hello Local Guides! We just kicked off #LetsGuide, a celebration of the community’s passions, interests, and inspirations.

Who will you guide next? It’s a question that can lead to some inspiring answers! All kinds of people look for info on Google Maps. Today, I wanted to share some of my favorite tips for guiding families with kids by sharing photos of kid-friendly places.

In the past, I’ve shared my favorite tips for taking great photos, and those rules apply here as well. Here’s a quick review:

• Seek out natural light
  • Try lots of angles
  • Take lots of photos to get that right one!

When you’re taking photos in places with kids present, there’s one more thing to keep mind: Never share a photograph showing a child’s face without the consent of a parent.

Now for the fun stuff!

Tip 1:  In stores and restaurants, show the kid-friendly clues

A restaurant's interior showing highchairs stacked near the entrance (Getty Images)A restaurant's interior showing highchairs stacked near the entrance (Getty Images)

Try to show things that parents would be interested to know are available. Kids menus, high chairs, and crayons are just a few items that might help inform others that you’re in a kid-friendly establishment.

Tip 2: Outdoors, show kid-friendly parking

A row of strollers lined up against a wall with a sign noting the space is for stroller parking (Getty Images)A row of strollers lined up against a wall with a sign noting the space is for stroller parking (Getty Images)

Strollers are a clear signal that a store or restaurant is kid-friendly, so show them when you can! Often, this is an opportunity to take a fun photo: If you see a bunch of strollers lined up, take a step back and try to get them all lined up.

Tip 3: At playgrounds, play around with framing

A playground featuring a colorful jungle gym framing a child's pink bicycle with training wheels (Getty Images)A playground featuring a colorful jungle gym framing a child's pink bicycle with training wheels (Getty Images)    Three large, red, circular metal sculptures in a playground framing a jungle gym behind it (Getty Images)Three large, red, circular metal sculptures in a playground framing a jungle gym behind it (Getty Images)   A wooden seesaw with green handlebars and yellow seats in the foreground and other playground equipment and surrounding buildings in the background (Getty Images)A wooden seesaw with green handlebars and yellow seats in the foreground and other playground equipment and surrounding buildings in the background (Getty Images)

Because you don’t want to include kids’ faces in your photos, playgrounds can be tough! But with some fun framing you can capture the essence of the playground without showing any kids at all. Here’s the key technique: Play around just like a kid to get that perfect shot. Try climbing on the equipment to get a vantage point from the top of the slide, or up from the bottom! Spin in circles on a spinner. Or swing high up in the air to get a wide shot of the space from above.

Are you a parent who looks for kid-friendly places on Google Maps? Tell everyone in the comments: What can other Local Guides do to help you know if a place is good for kids?

17 comments
Level 7

Re: How to take photos of kid-friendly places

Nice shared , yes im parent of a son .

Let me try your tips @AnnaDickson

Level 8

#LetsGuide

#OnGoogleMaps #Photography 

The garden library...The garden library...

Louis Engel park in Ossining, N.Y.Louis Engel park in Ossining, N.Y.

Alice in WonderlandAlice in Wonderland

Macy's Herald Square.Macy's Herald Square.

Macy's Herald SquareMacy's Herald Square

Photos: Virginia Benedict 🕊

Level 8

Hi!  @AnnaDickson 

I posted  #KidFriendly #LetsGuide  photos on FF  G+ and Twitter.

Let me Know if this is what you are looking for.

BTW, i always include Worldwide Rights Reserved. Is this a problem? 

I wonder why my hashtags are not active???

Do you know?

Connect Moderator

Great tips! I’ve been taking photos of diaper changing tables, stacks of high chairs at restaurants, and now kid’s menus which double as coloring sheets with crayons to show how kid friendly businesses and restaurants can be for Google Maps.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 8

I like the #LetsGuide initiative and I'm saying this again that, unless these photos are featured or tagged as "Kid friendly" etc, they'll mostly get lost in the sea of other regular photos. For popular POIs, it might be even tougher to comb through and find such photos. In such cases, adding attributes (Kid friendly, Pet friendly, Wheelchair accessible) to the POI itself might be helpful.

Level 6

Grazie dei consigli, chiari, concisi nel prossimo evento proveremo, buon lavoro da Lucia

Level 8

This is a great place and good idea.

Sometimes we just concentrate what part that specific about places and forget about this point.

And this threat makes us realize that we also need to take apart on give information if that place is good for kids and elderly? 

Great idea!

| Indonesia Local Guides | SVTP | Work-Study-Holiday | Yogyakarta Local Guides | Nunukan Local Guides | Jakarta Local Guides |
Level 9

Childrens Play Area, Suasana Lumayan Condominium, KL, MalaysiaChildrens Play Area, Suasana Lumayan Condominium, KL, Malaysia

Connect Moderator

This is great tips @AnnaDickson thanks for sharing with us .

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve