Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to take photos at your favorite sushi spot

Do you love eating sushi and can’t get enough of it? Taking photos of your mouth-watering experience is a creative way to explore the diverse range of sushi and further develop your food photography skills. It’s also a wonderful way to share your new favorite sushi restaurant with others on Google Maps!

Here are some of my favorite tips for taking beautiful photos at your favorite sushi spot.

1. Use natural light

My number one photo tip when photographing food is to take photos with natural light. Artificial light found in restaurants can often make photos look overly warm and unappetizing. So, next time you’re snapping photos of your sushi, look for soft natural light coming through a window. If you’re unable to find a natural light, try to take a photo of the food in the most well-lit area of the restaurant.

Caption: A photo of a plate of sushi next to a bowl of seaweed salad and other plates of food on a table at Sushi Art, Dubai, UAE. (Local Guide Benny J.)Caption: A photo of a plate of sushi next to a bowl of seaweed salad and other plates of food on a table at Sushi Art, Dubai, UAE. (Local Guide Benny J.)

2. Focus on the details

Part of the beauty of sushi is the texture and the details of the ingredients, not just the amazing taste! When photographing sushi, showcase what makes that particular kind of sushi special by focusing on the detail.

Caption: A photo of a variety of sushi on a plate shot from above, taken at Sushi on La Cienega in Okinawa, Japan.  (Local Guide Carolyn S.)Caption: A photo of a variety of sushi on a plate shot from above, taken at Sushi on La Cienega in Okinawa, Japan. (Local Guide Carolyn S.)

3. Compose for the best angle

An important part of food photography is composition, and finding the best angle for the shape and size of a particular piece of food. Experiment with different angles to find the best angle that will showcase what makes the food unique.

Caption: A variety of sushi on a wooden tray at Blue Ribbon Sushi in New York, New York. (Local Guide Maurizio Iori)Caption: A variety of sushi on a wooden tray at Blue Ribbon Sushi in New York, New York. (Local Guide Maurizio Iori)

4. Capture the ambiance

In order to show the full experience of eating at a great sushi spot, it’s important to capture the ambiance. Look around the restaurant for clues that people would want to know about the location. Is there comfortable seating, pleasing lighting, or an accessible entry? Capture what would be helpful to know, in order to guide others looking for a great place to enjoy a delicious meal.

Caption: A photo of a chef making sushi at a counter at Sushi Kanesaka in Tokyo, Japan. (Local Guide Mike Lee)Caption: A photo of a chef making sushi at a counter at Sushi Kanesaka in Tokyo, Japan. (Local Guide Mike Lee)

5. Use your camera grid for the restaurant exterior

Don’t forget to grab some helpful photos of the exterior as well as informative signage. If you need help keeping the horizontal lines level and vertical lines of the building straight, turn on your camera grid for help when you are composing.

Caption: A photo of the exterior Sushi on Jones in New York, New York. A woman is sitting at the counter outside looking at the menu. She’s surrounded by chairs. (Local Guide Rohenne Lee)Caption: A photo of the exterior Sushi on Jones in New York, New York. A woman is sitting at the counter outside looking at the menu. She’s surrounded by chairs. (Local Guide Rohenne Lee)

Do you love ordering sushi and taking photos of your food experiences? Share your sushi pics and tell everyone in the comments: What can other Local Guides do to help others find the best sushi spots?

36 comments
Level 10

Re: How to take photos at your favorite sushi spot

@Christina-NYC Thanks for sharing this wonderful post. Japanese food especially sushi and sashimi is one of my all time favorite things to eat. The great thing about authentic Japanese cuisine is, art and presentation take almost center stage when food is served, making the food almost too beautiful to eat, with a myriad of colors and decorated with beautiful garnishing.

Was looking through for some of my old photos below, taken when a time that mobile phone cameras weren't as good as nowadays. 🙂 

Above: Freshest Seafood Sashimi Rice in Tsukiji Market, Tokyo. I go crazy about Unni and fresh Tuna

Above: Delicious Sashimi in a Japanese Restaurant in Malaysia

Above: Yakitori Skewers 

Connect Moderator

Thanks for the tips @Christina-NYC! I love sushi and always take photos whenever I'm there. I looked over my sushi photos, and it seems they met your criteria 🙂

Can't use natural light unfortunately, as I was eating this at 5:30 in the morning where it was still dark outside

2. Focus on the details2. Focus on the details

4. Capture the ambiance4. Capture the ambiance

NGh4exf

Level 10

Rif.: How to take photos at your favorite sushi spot

What a pity that I do not like fish! However, thanks to these photos is always a sight for the eyes! Great tips for all restaurants! Thanks @Christina-NYC !

Bye, 

David

Level 10

@davidhyno Is it only fish you don't like? What about other seafood like shrimp, crab or squid or shellfish? Maybe you haven't found the right fish that you like?

Ivan mentioned about Ottoro (fatty tuna belly), I will tell you it feels like Kobe beef melt in your mouth amazing. But so expensive. 🙂 . If you have a chance, you can try that, raw of course.

Level 10

Hi @Christina-NYC another great thread!

I love photographing Sushi! Here are some examples:

Level 10

hi @StephenAbraham ! Unfortunately I can not eat any kind of fish! Every time some of my friends or relatives order the fish at the restaurant I always try to taste it, because both the perfume and the look is very inviting! But as soon as I taste it unfortunately I do not want to send it down ... it's stronger than me and hunger !!

Bye,

David

Level 4

Güzel Görünüyorlar

Level 10

I totally love eating sushi! I have even created a list with the best places to eat it in my city.

Honestly, I always struggle to get a good photo of the pieces, so this post is indeed helpful @Christina-NYC 🙂 

Here's a photo I'm not very proud of:

Caption: various sushi pieces gracefully arranged on a glass  plate.Caption: various sushi pieces gracefully arranged on a glass plate.

Thanks a lot for sharing these great tips. I hope I can improve my sushi-photography skills! 🙂

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 8

Amazing!! How nice sushi photo!