Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to take beautiful photos in bakeries

Do you love going to bakeries to satisfy your cravings for freshly made rustic bread, French macaroons, or buttercream frosted cupcakes? Taking photos of your experience is a fun way to continue to explore food photography. It’s also a great way to share your new favorite shop with others on Google Maps.

Here are a few tips for taking beautiful photos during your next visit to a local bakery.

1. Shoot in natural light

One of my top photo tips is to turn off your flash and use natural light when you take photos. This is especially important when you’re indoors and photographing food. Artificial overhead lights can often make decadent baked goods look unappealing in a photo. Instead, it’s best to look for natural light coming from a window. If you can’t find natural light, try to take photos in the most well-lit spot in the room.

Caption: A photo of a variety of baked goods on display at Charlotte, a French bistro in Kraków, Poland. (Local Guide Paweł Kowalik)Caption: A photo of a variety of baked goods on display at Charlotte, a French bistro in Kraków, Poland. (Local Guide Paweł Kowalik)

2. Remove background clutter

Make your subject the hero of your frame when photographing food. If there is anything on your table that is visually distracting, move it out of the frame or use a different angle to crop it out. Make sure accessories and utensils are clean as dirty spoons and napkins on a table can take away from a great food photo when they are accidentally included.

Caption: A photo of pastries on a table next to a window in Noisette Bakery in Melbourne, Australia. (Local Guide Coco and Vine)Caption: A photo of pastries on a table next to a window in Noisette Bakery in Melbourne, Australia. (Local Guide Coco and Vine)

3. Find the best angle

Now it’s time to play with your food! If your food has height, such as a delicious piece of layer cake, try photographing it from the side. If the shape of the food is more interesting when viewed from top, such as a donut or an iced tart, try photographing it from the top.

Caption: A photo of a slice of carrot cake on a plate with coffee at 그리울땐 제주 in Nago, Japan. (Local Guide Yangnam Kim)Caption: A photo of a slice of carrot cake on a plate with coffee at 그리울땐 제주 in Nago, Japan. (Local Guide Yangnam Kim)

Caption: A photo of a variety of pastries in a square box. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a variety of pastries in a square box. (Getty Images)

4. Compose with color and texture

A great food photo should showcase the food’s best traits — it’s deliciousness, texture, and color. Look around the bakery for different ways to compose with color and show off the texture of the food. Try capturing the colorful rows of pastries or breads if the food is displayed in a case or on shelving. If the shop has a colorful walls, try photographing the food against it as a backdrop. And if you’re about to enjoy a variety of tasty baked treats with friends, remember to take a photo of them all on a plate before you dive in.

Caption: A photo of sweet desserts in rows in a bakery display. (Local Guide André Szep)Caption: A photo of sweet desserts in rows in a bakery display. (Local Guide André Szep)

Caption: A photo of a baked goods in a bakery shop window. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a baked goods in a bakery shop window. (Getty Images)

Caption: A photo of a variety of colorful pastries in a bakery shop display case. (Local Guide Spencer Pernikoff)Caption: A photo of a variety of colorful pastries in a bakery shop display case. (Local Guide Spencer Pernikoff)

Do you have a sweet tooth and love to visit pastry shops? Share your bakery photos and tell everyone in the comments: What can other Local Guides do to help you find the best bakeries?

48 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to take beautiful photos in bakeries

5B729EB0-1581-43EC-88C7-C1F6E09C51F6.jpeg

Again a great post to learn!

Thank you @Christina-NYC 

For me bread 🍞 is so delicious 😋.

I took this photo in Kraków 🇵🇱 some weeks ago. Different kinds of bread are very important and I‘m happy that we have a wide selection of bread especially in Germany. 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

Hi @Christina-NYC got the email notification instantaneously 🎈🤸‍♀️

Love the pastry photos.

Level 9

Oh wow! I like your post and obviously the photos!! Makes me want to go to a bakery right now 😛

I ❤️ being a local guide! My contributions
My Connect Profile
Level 10

Nice post @Christina-NYC. Learned so many things from your post. 

Level 10

@Christina-NYC

It's making me hungry 😀

Thank you for those tips

Level 9

mouth watering photos @Christina-NYC , 

Level 8

@Christina-NYC@ amazing photos and story. Thank you for sharing..

Level 10

Amazing photos and nice tips @Christina-NYC. I love taking photos of bakery especially ones with decoration. Here are mine, not as nice but love to hear your comment. 

Swensen'sSwensen'sSwensen'sSwensen'sBlooming CafeBlooming CafeWedding CakeWedding CakeIMG_20170630_191424.jpgIMG_20170630_191433.jpgPLB bakeryPLB bakery

Level 9

Yep these pictures made me to go right now to the bakery @Christina-NYC very loving pictures