JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

How to remove an unintended 'Spoiler'

A 'Spoiler' that was most likely not supposed to be there.A 'Spoiler' that was most likely not supposed to be there.

When you want to create a new post here on Connect using your phone, the first thing you do is click the Start a post button, the second thing is scroll down to reach the area where you can enter the actual text. During this scrolling operation, it is quite easy on the relatively small screen of the phone to accidentally hit a key you did not intend to hit, especially the keys that are on the extreme left of the screen, as that might be the area where your finger lands on the screen for the scrolling. In the post creation user interface of Connect those keys on the left are 'Bold' (B) and 'Spoiler' (exclamation mark in a triangle).

The result of accidentally hitting the Bold key is easy to spot the moment you start typing, and is therefore usually corrected immediately, but accidentally hitting the 'Spoiler' button only results in your text being shown in a barely visible additional frame. And only once the post is published does it become obvious that your text is hidden behind a 'Spoiler'-sign that people need to click before your text can be read. More or less all uses of this 'Spoiler' function I have seen on Connect so far are very likely the result of this kind of accidental use.

Fortunately - for those reading this and now realizing "this is what happened to my post!" - it can be fixed:

1. Go to your post and click the 3 dots
  2. Select Edit Message from the menu
  3. Just above the window where you can edit the text select the tab HTML
  4. Look for the phrases <li-spoiler> and </li-spoiler> and remove those (careful: this can be quite tricky in complex posts... removing other things can have dramatic results for the layout of your post; so if you are uncertain: make a copy of your post and save this somewhere else before making changes in the HTML tab)
  5. Save your post
Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
8 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: How to remove an unintended 'Spoiler'

Hi @JanVanHaver,

Thank you or sharing such valuable tip.

I believe that the community would find this post handy!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Connect Moderator

@sonnyNg Seems like a lot of Googlers like this post... So far it has received likes from 1 Connect Moderator, 4 Google Moderators and 1 Googler. If the Helpdesk board is intended/allowed to have posts by non-Googlers, I would say: this is a fine candidate 😉

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

Namskar..

@JanVanHaver

Always we Queries about it..

Good Info you Share..

Thanks for that..

Regards From Mumbai..

Level 8

Hi @JanVanHaver,

Thanks a lot for this detailed information. I had no clue about this message. 

Harpal Singh

Level 10

Great Tips, dear friend @JanVanHaver,

You are a silent Knowledge Bomb; Proudly appreciate you - May God Bless you.

With regards

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

For those who stumble upon this post and have no clue what this is about: the 'Spoiler' thing was removed from the user interface - see

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/All-Ideas/Remove-the-Spoiler-formatting-option/idi-p/1174116

Another nice illustration of the fact that the feedback we give is read/heard and that some submitted ideas do get implemented @sonnyNg !

Level 10

Hi dear friend @JanVanHaver, looks that the request has been implemented - Thanks to all who helped,

Regards 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Former Google Contributor

Hi @JanVanHaver,

Thank you for having the idea raised up at first place, in order to have the current result. : ]

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!