JavierG-S's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

How to react when someone's complains when you take a picture?

Sometimes, especially when I'm taking pictures of retail stores from outside, and there are people leaving the shop, some of them have addressed me to ask why I was taking a picture of him/her, as they don't consider first hand the option of someone taking pictures of a business (what is normal when it's a point of Interest). I would very much appreciate if you could share your experience in handling these situations, that sometimes could become a little bit stressing. Thx Javier
JAVIER GONZALEZ-SORIA
Madrid, España
10 comments
Level 8

Re: How to react when someone's complains when you take a picture?

Hii @JavierG-S

It feels good when someone shared a Moment & you think it also happened with me.

Few weeks ago i am traveling a place by my Bicycle.

I am stop at one place & took some pictures of one store

That time some people notice me & they​ complain about me to The Store Owner

The Store Owner asked me Why you Capture our Store Picture

So i told everything about Google Maps & He Just thanks me.

Thanks for Sharing your Moment with Us

Happy Mapping

Level 5

I've come across this, not in relation to Google Maps, but to street photography in general, and I think the same principles apply.

Firstly, I usually try to time it so that there's no one recognizable directly in the shot... of course that's not always possible.

If someone approaches me and is not happy with their photo being taken, I give them the brief rundown of what I'm doing (e.g. "I'm photographing local businesses for Google Maps"). Then if they aren't happy with that, I always offer to delete the offending photo right in front of them, and show them that I'm deleting as I do it. Even if I'm on the right side of the law, I would rather delete a photo than have conflict with a stranger who doesn't want to be photographed. 

Here's a list of which countries require consent before photos can be legally published, which might be relevant also: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Country_specific_consent_requirements

Level 5

Most of time i get same experience. So i will convince them, most of will convince but some time matter too hot. that time i will leave that place.  

Level 9

@JavierG-S when I tell people that I am photograph is of store and not them they mostly go away. 

As @KayS said, best to try having people in your photos, if they inadvertantly come in give them an option to delete the photo in front of them if they seem unhappy.  

Hope it helps!

Level 4

I try to introduce myself when I walk around a business. Many times the employees or even owner help me take better pictures or are just nicer like tht. It helps when they understand that the pictures and information help people find their business online.

Level 10

first of all you have to introduce yourself and then yo have to clear that thing that why are you taking photographs.

in some cases some people are not satisfying with our answers then you have to show your google local guide profile and then they can understand all the thing.

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+
Level 10

Greetings! This hasn't become a problem for me yet but I'm also aware of how likely it can happen. My approaches would be:

1. Time your shot when people aren't looking or out of the frame.

2. Apologize if questioned. Explain purpose. You can show the photo to gain extra trust. After they leave, you can take another photo without them too.

3. Shoot quickly but don't look suspicious.

4. Hang out at the location. Immerse yourself. Take a photo. Immerse some more, then leave when you're ready for another beautiful shot.

5. Ask for permission in advance. Maybe some people don't mind small moments of fame and recognition.

6. Enjoy what your shooting. Smile! 🙂

When I eat, I unleash my Inner Panda!
Level 4

This happened to me recently. I was taking a picture of a pizza restaurant when the cook came outside (looking rather angry actually) and rudely asked what I was doing. I have to say, he kind of scared me...

I started by introducing myself and explaining what was the Local Guide program. I had to show my profile and pictures of other places before he started trusting me. I offered to delete the picture but he wanted to know more.

He asked me why I was doing this, if it was my job, if I got paid for posting pictures... It seems like doing this voluntarily didn't make sense for him. I had to explain the purpose, that I myself rely on good reviews in Google map to find a nice restaurant and that I was just returning the favor by contributing.

He then understood that it was a way for him to get more clients and suddenly got interested. He wanted me to post a good review on his restaurant. I answered that this would only happen if I try a pizza and have a genuinely good experience overall. He then gave me a flyer of his menu and asked me to post a picture of it with the opening hours, prices, phone number...

What I take from this experience is that, even with someone reluctant, if you are clear about the purpose of what you are doing, people will understand that it is to their advantage to let you take a good shot. 😃

Level 5

Recently I was taking pictures while travelling in a rickshaw in my town. I took a picture of a Police Post in a Street crossing while on the move on the rickshaw. After some time a police men came on a motorcycle and stopped me and told me to delete the picture I took. I told him that it was for Google Maps and I did not take the picture of him intentionally and i was for the public information,he saw the picture and then allowed it. If he kept on insisted on deletion I would have deleted it, with no ill feeling. I have taken so many pictures in India but never had any problem before, except this.