StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: How to react - LG Connect Live 2018 selection results - next 2 weeks or so

Excellent post by you @StephenAbraham. Indeed, more than any perks or benefit, our contributions and association here matter the most. The greatest motivation is that what we contribute in our free times act as great help for many. Happy Mapping!!

Connect Moderator

@KarenVChin wrote:

@StephenAbraham, wonderful post. Interesting question you are asking.

For me, I apply every year with the idea to show why I love being a Local Guide and why I want to attend the yearly BiG Global Local Guides event.  I have fun creating my application videos because I get the chance share my story and learn new video making skills.

As someone who has been very lucky to be invited now three times, I don’t take for granted or assume that I will automatically receive an invite because of past experiences, I am a Connect Moderator, or that I live locally. 

My advice is the same as yours - always have fun being a Local Guide. Do good and put up useful, correct information (reviews, answer the auto Google Maps questions, edit, take high quality informative photos, etc.), have or attend meetups, be helpful to your fellow Local Guides both on Connect and in your local LG community, and be active on Connect with quality content. 

Don’t get hung up if you didn’t get an invite. It’s not the end of the world.

I know this may sound strange from someone who has been invited every year. But like you and many LGs who were invited to last year’s Local Guides Summit 17 who did not get invited to the first year’s Local Guides Summit 16, if you don’t keep applying you will never know the next time there is a Connect Live could be the time you do receive that invite, the “golden ticket.”

Also threatening to or quilting the Local Guides Program because you did not receive an invite means, in my personal opinion, you sign up to become a Local Guide for the wrong reasons. You are not a truly a Local Guide and should stop being one in my opinion. 

if i never get the opportunity to attend a future Connect Live, I won’t take it personally. I am proud of my past accomplishments and will continue to root, help, and encourage my fellow Local Guides to hopefully get the chance to go with no hurt feelings and to be the best Local Guides that they can be. 

Cheers,

Karen

All. Of. This. @KarenVChin! Could not have said it better myself. There are so many opportunities to embrace and take advantage of being part of this program, and the Summit/Connect Live is just one of them 🙂 It's a journey, not a race, and just as you and many others, I'll never tire out 🙂 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 8

@StephenAbraham Nicely said I also thought on similar lines to which you mentioned and totally understand this perspective those attendees Congratulations and those attendees need us back here to tell their wonderful stories which I can't wait to here nice story @StephenAbraham you have said this well my friend

Level 8

Great post @StephenAbraham! You conveyed the real spirit of a Local Guide. I got selected for 2017 and it was an awesome experience. Let's continue guiding all over the world 🙂

Level 8

Great post @StephenAbraham Bro. Thanks for sharing the amazing photos.

Namaste, Niraj

Level 10

Congrats @StephenAbraham for posting on such a useful issue.

Level 10

THANKS FOR HEALING WORDS @StephenAbraham 😞

Level 8

i got inspiration from this story of yours. Keep up the great work!

cheers

Level 10

@StephenAbraham Liked the way you have guided about how to react when the names of finalists for connect live 2018 are announced. Great ideas. World human population is on the rise on explosive scales, so due to ever rising competitiveness; we have gradually learnt a negative behavior that after a grand game show, we are left with thousands of sorrowful & a few jubilant.. World needs to gradually unlearn such harmful ways of responding. I read somewhere about a cultural trend & behavior at some African societies that people or kids prepare for a competition. Everyone tries hard to be the greatest achiever. But when the results come; all the candidates immediately join with the winners in their joy as their very own, instead of being sad for not winning themselves. Beautiful article @StephenAbraham 😁

Level 10

@StephenAbraham same as you, I am not selected for the event. I am a bit disappointed but I try to see positive sides. I understand they can take only limited number of attendees and there are many many outstanding LG in the community and I am sure I am not better than them all. Also, I had my chance last year already so it is very fair that others has the chance this time. Yes, being able to attend the Connect Live is not the sole purpose of my contribution. It is the people I met, the positive impact I made and being part of this global community that is more important. Happy contributing to all Local Guides!