StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

How to react - LG Connect Live 2018 selection results - next 2 weeks or so

It's another short 11-12 days before the communicated final date of Local Guides Connect Live 2018 selection announcements. Connect Live 2018, it's the event that almost every single Local Guide is looking forward to, to be selected to be a part of, for the entire year of 2018. For many Local Guides, to be selected is a dream come true, possibly even a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit Google HQ and connect personally with Google managers who manage the Local Guides program. And as with the last 2 years' Local Guides Summit, announcements of selection always comes with great joy and some sadness those that may not have been selected, or could not make it.

Just sharing my experience on how to take announcements, as it gets rolled out.

For the first Local Guides Summit 2016, I had tried so very hard, contributing daily for the whole year, but in the end, I wasn't selected. To say the least, I was extremely sad. But I eventually realized that the friends I made along the way through the whole year, was far more important to me than just being selected for the first Summit 16. After all, 75 spots for the whole world (although at that time, total number of Local Guides hasn't grown to the proportions we have today), and I did realize that it was not possible to have everyone invited. There are more deserving contributors. So I moved on, and I continued my contributions, making more wonderful friends along the way. With more friends, came more opportunities to connect, contribute and share. We had so many wonderful programs and meet ups along the way.

I continued contributing and eventually, even if I wasn't really expecting to picked, I was selected for LGSummit 17. It was really amazing to be one of the 150 last year. Although, I have to say that having gone through 2 years with Local Guides, I guess, even if I wasn't selected for LG Summit 17, I wasn't going to feel too bad, as there was a greater personal reward that came with the program. That was why I guess personally, throughout my LGSummit17 journey, I had my closest community members always with me. I had carried a banner with so many personal signatures to be part of official photos. So many of close friends had postcards and goodies sent from LGSummit17. 

So fast forward to today/next few days...

Firstly, for those who are/will be selected, so many congratulations for all of you as we all share in your joy and happiness. It will also be so much joy for the rest of the local LG community that you are in, to be part of your journey to 2018 Connect Live. 🙂

For the rest of us who may not be selected...

Remember that every contribution we do in Maps helps many people out there. And that it's our contributions that help make life easier for others. We should try to continue to contribute where we can, in our own free time.

There are really only 150 spots for Connect Live 18. And chances are this year, there are so many more applicants as the minimum requirements are set, to be even more inclusive especially for newer contributors. So, if we are not selected, it does mean that 150 of the more 'deserving' contributors got selected, whatever the selection criteria could be. There is no real way to have everyone be invited.

Once the results are announced, get together with the local LG community to celebrate whoever that was selected as well as for the rest of us who may not be selected. Friendship and relationships are so very important. If someone did get selected from the community, plan on how to include others in the journey like preparing a banner etc.

And try to arrange a get together locally, during the Connect Live dates, so, to virtually "participate" as there could be live streams through social media from Google HQ. That's best way to be connected with all other friends during that wonderful time. Whilst the select few celebrates in SF, we too can celebrate with ourselves locally.

So wishing everyone all the very best as the selection results gets rolled out. Wishing everyone all the happiness regardless whether we are selected or not. 🙂

Just a quick shout out to the wonderful communities that I am so blessed to be part of.

Malaysia Local Guides (below) - and so many more wonderful people who are not in the photo

2017 Malaysia Local Guides (from left): Fikri, Haseeb, Wong Chee Weng, Jonathan & 2 friends, Nabeel Khan (in red Google t-shirt), Jonathan's friend, Pavel Sarwar,  Stephen Abrahan, Atiq2017 Malaysia Local Guides (from left): Fikri, Haseeb, Wong Chee Weng, Jonathan & 2 friends, Nabeel Khan (in red Google t-shirt), Jonathan's friend, Pavel Sarwar, Stephen Abrahan, Atiq

Kerala Local Guides (below) - and so many more wonderful contributors who are not in the photo below

Kerala Local Guides - Kochi Meet UpKerala Local Guides - Kochi Meet Up

Worldwide Local Guides (below) and especially LGSummit17 Team India - thanks for being a part of my journey

IMG_20180416_231611.jpg

Share your thoughts and experiences if you had applied for the 2 prior LG Summits. Always great to learn from others' experiences. 🙂

Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
66 comments
Level 10

Re: How to react - LG Connect Live 2018 selection results - next 2 weeks or so

Nice sharing and advices bro @StephenAbraham totally agree with you about how to response the announcements of selected attendees of LG Connect Live 2018 by end of this June

Level 9

Lovely post @StephenAbraham.

Well i joined local guides community in 2017 and luckly i even got selected for LGSummit17 and ofcourse I shared lovely memories with outstanding 151 other local guides last year.

Though Google selects attendee based on multiple factors and specially contribution on maps.

I look forward to get selected for Connect Live 2018. Fingers crossed

I think i will feel bad if i dont get selected. But thats true failure teaches good lessons.

So i will take it in positive way and improve my mapping and collaboration on connect.

Eagerly Awaiting Results 🙂

Level 10

Very cool post @StephenAbraham!

If I get in, it will be like winning the lottery. So, it's definitely not something that I'm expecting, but I'll be super happy if they pick me.

Great point about all the great friends that we've all met on Connect!

Level 9

Hi @StephenAbraham!

Fantastic post where you expose the two options we have and how you have lived them.
I am totally agree with you that we have to be very happy of being part of this kind community were all of us share a passion in common: Maps.

We are many members and it´s going to be very difficult to be selected...  

We were very lucky of being at the Summit last year, that was more than enough :)))

Good Morning from the South of Spain,

Alejandra.

Level 8

Such a thoughtful and well written post Stephen. Thank you for reminding us that this is not the end of it. Our contributions have significant impact. Good luck to all. Fingers crossed! 🙂

Level 9

Updated 20-06-2018 after this post is featured

Just to assure you guys all the people shown at front picture, no one was selected 🙂

Namely: from left, faris, myself, chong, jonathan, nabeel, pavel, stephen & Atiq. 
But, We are keeping our positive vibes up & high. And, had arranged a meetup on this coming saturday 23-06-2018 to celebrate our international friends selection & Eid Gathering for Malaysia Local Guides. Feel free to join us if you are in KL 🙂

Thanks a lot brother @StephenAbraham for this write up & motivation 🙂
I can feel the excitement building up at connect about connecting with local guides around the world at connect live 2018 hahaha 
It's all about connections heart to heart with this lovely program & indeed the summit/connect live is not end of the world bro, we will keep our contributions up & high even if don't get selected 🙂

Cheers

Level 10

@StephenAbraham

Best wishes for Connect 2018 Live. 

Level 7

That's one awesome advice from @StephenAbraham to all the Local Guides waiting for the results. 

It is heartening to see your efforts. Even after continuously contributing to Google Maps, when you did not get selected in 2016, you never lost hopes. Something for all of us to learn and ponder. Only few would do that and you definitely deserved a chance at 2017 Summit, given your persistence and dedication towards Google Maps. 

Stories like yours are in inspiration for budding Local Guides (who have just joined the platform) or (are eagerly awaiting the results). 

I am on the platform since 2017 and has spent over 8-9 months sharing my knowledge and journey through Google Maps and it has been one fabulous journey. Apart from the perks Google has to offer, what excites me the most is the networking opportunities we have her at Connect. Like, you could get in touch with anybody across the World who share a similar passion as you do (which might not be true on other social platforms namely Facebook, Twitter). 

We all are here to serve our community we live , we breathe one Passion, We breathe one Goal.. Which is what makes this platform so special. 

It would be great if I get selected this year for Connect Live 2018 (will have ample of stories to share from other 149 Local Guides), but even if I don't, I shall continue to contribute to this lovely community I am part of and prepare myself more for the next years summit. 

Wishing all good luck. Fingers Crossed till 20th June 2018 😉 

google-plus.pngtwitter.pnggoogle-maps.pnglinkedin.pnginstagram.png

Level 9

Wow @StephenAbraham

It is just more than a recognition if I have a chance of been selected .

And Thanks for Sharing the photo of an event i have organised our Kerala Local Guides Meetup .

I would like to share my idea with the team which I always want to share .Screenshot_2018-06-07-18-19-05-993_com.google.android.apps.maps.png

Screen short from a Days travel with 14 Hours of Travel . 

I suggest to have the auto screen off function as the screen consume the maximum power .

Do Give a Kudos if you like my idea .

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#