Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to make great edits on Google Maps

Hows it possible for a fake local guide to move a map listings and be approved?  

Change place names, web adresses and business types? And it be applied. 

How do we as guides monitor maps and help stop this kind of behaviour?

Lets talk about that. Not obvious stuffScreenshot_20171211-211235.png

Googler

Hi @Meraj,

Sure, that method it's fine too . Thanks for your contributions!

Level 8

How about fixing the server code so it does not automaticaly deny all edits.

Level 10

I appreciate this post simply because it condenses and brings to light the obscure guidelines and improves the edits of regular, basic users who might need a little reminder every now and then to push them in the right direction.

But for individuals and the elite experienced including myself and a few others in the 'Forever Not Applied' consortium, when these edits are either rejected outright (e.g. immediately not applied) or somehow make it through the moderation process and the manual reviewer doesn't know what they're doing and rejecting blatantly obvious suggestions, it is severely disappointing to see our efforts go to waste.

These are recently reviewed edits that reached the 'Pending' status, and were reviewed by perhaps... I don't know, a monkey?These are recently reviewed edits that reached the 'Pending' status, and were reviewed by perhaps... I don't know, a monkey?

1. Should be Colgate-Palmolive PTY Ltd. removing the legal term. You literally wrote "Don't include... legal terms (like LLC or Inc.)"
  2. Should be Millennium Tower sussex removing the location descriptor.
  3. Should be Jae My Holdings to remove the capitalisation, I mean how can't the reviewer figure that out? You wrote: "Capitalise the business’s name the same way the business displays it."
  4. Should be Sacred Awareness Wellbeing & Healing Centre : Jo... maybe the team member laughed because it read SCARED Awareness and decided it should stick for the fun of it.

We know what makes a good edit on Google Maps. Does the reviewer/moderation team know? Train them and the algorithm instead. That's where your problem lies.

Level 8

Thank you very much for the clarification, @Rodrigo_P!

Is the Attributes section specific to GMB dashboard also?

From time to time, I find address having Chinese words un-translated while using Maps in English.  Do you have further advice for us, so that we can help to avoid this from happening?

For Example:

https://goo.gl/maps/g28Rj1WM1fm

Address when viewed in English Maps: Ap Lei Chau, 鴨脷洲大街49-55號(6號舖)

Address when viewed in Traditioanl Chinese Maps: 鴨脷洲鴨脷洲大街49-55號(6號舖)

When we encounter POIs like this, should we wait for Maps to fix the translation in the backend by itself, or we should edit the address in English directly?

Level 8

@Rodrigo_P this is a great post.

Lots of information will help other to edit in a more effective way.

Thanks

Level 10

Bonjour à tous guides locaux,

Merci beaucoup @Rodrigo_P pour ces précieux conseils. Ça va  nous permettera d'avoir plus de chance que l'algorithme valide nos contributions. Parfois c'est pas simple on vois on modifie et ça marche pas. Pourtant c'est devant nos yeux. C'est vrai que c'est rageant.😉

J'ai deux types de contributions que j'ai souvent du mal à faire valider, c'est le positionnement exacte sur la maps d'une entreprise et changer le protocole HTTP en HTTPS  de l'url du site web. 

La remarque de @LucioV est tout à fait pertinente sur le positionnement du marquage.

Level 9

Hi @Rodrigo_P,

Thank you for your information.

Some business add categories in display name like ***** hotel, **** store, **** restaurant.

In the name field, Do we fill it like in display name (name + category) or just name?

Regards

Budi

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Briggs,

I'm glad to know that you enjoyed the new article.

Now regarding the edits, as an experience mapper you know that we take multiple factor into account when we are reviewing a edit (either through the algorithm or manually) and not only the information who are trying to change on Maps, so don't always interpret that a NOT APPLIED means that the information was wrong.

Also, as you well know, we are working on some changes on the algorithm based on the issue you raised that is impacting some Local Guides and has impacted your edits too. When we roll out the new algorithm you are welcome to try them again.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 10

@GusMoreira wrote:

...so don't always interpret that a NOT APPLIED means that the information was wrong.

Sooo nice to read this @GusMoreira!!!!