TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

How to make an impact through Maps, according to Local Guide Emeka

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Emeka Ulor sitting on a white chair sharing his experiences at Connect Live Abuja.Caption: A photo of Local Guide Emeka Ulor sitting on a white chair sharing his experiences at Connect Live Abuja.

I had the pleasure of attending Connect Live Abuja earlier this month and got to meet 100 Local Guides from across Nigeria who are passionate about Google Maps. At the event, I also had the honor of interviewing @EmekaUlor on stage about experiences as a Local Guide. His dedication to improving accessibility and his tips for being a great contributor inspired many folks in the audience

Here are five things I learned during the interview that I wanted to share with all of you:

1. As of November 15th, Emeka had hosted 38 meet-ups on three continents, many of which are around accessibility information. He’s always ready to share his tips with others. Looking to host your very first meet-up? Emeka has some advice: “When you get to the place, look at the map and check if the place is properly marked.  Look at the reviews. Are they giving out the right information? Can people make decisions with this information?”

2. Emeka is celebrating his two year Local Guides anniversary on December 5th. I can’t decide if I’m more impressed that he’s nearly a Level 10 or that he remembers when he joined Local Guides!

3. Lots of people say they have friends they’d do anything for, but Emeka really means it. He believes in inclusiveness and, when his friend who uses a wheelchair wanted to explore a place that wasn’t so wheelchair-friendly, Emeka would literally carry him so he could.

4. Emeka takes his new 360 camera EVERYWHERE so if you’re ever going to a place Emeka has been, look for his 360 imagery!

5. He has great advice for those of you just getting started: “All Local Guides should start from your home, your community, your streets. It’s not magic–look on your street–churches, shops, useful things that need a home; put it up on the map so people who are looking for a place can easily find it.”

Along with other Local Guides, I’ve joined Emeka’s Worldwide Accessibility Walk, a global effort that aims to increase meet-ups focused on adding accessibility information to the map. Tomorrow, I’ll be hosting an accessibility meet-up in Brooklyn, New York as part of the effort. Will we be seeing you at one of the events?

P.S. @EmekaUlor: I know one of your goals is to reach Level 10. Shall we make it more interesting by challenging each other to make it to Level 10 before the end of the year? 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Abuja, Nigeria
41 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to make an impact through Maps, according to Local Guide Emeka

It is always beautiful to read about @EmekaUlor@TraciC

He is one of the most inspiring Local Guides that I know, I still remember one of the first conversation that we had in Connect (it was about accessibility) and in the conversation we talked about @Sashabg (Hi Sasha).

I love this All Local Guides should start from your home, your community, your streets" because is exactly what I say about Clean the World. It seems that we have the same feeling about Local Guides Program

Level 8

Hi @TraciC,

Greetings from Bangladesh Local Guides!

Your post about @EmekaUlor feelings and activities about Local Guides was excellent.

@EmekaUlor post is always inspired me too. I hope he will achieve level 10 within this year. 

Thanks again @EmekaUlor for his contributions regarding Accessibility  by the Local Guides.

#LocalGuides | #LetsGuide | #Bangladesh |#BangladeshLocalGuides | #SoundOfBeautifulBangladesh
Connect Moderator

Always great to read about @EmekaUlor! I'm so happy to be joining in with an accessibility Meetup as well - my first! Emeka is the literal definition of PASSION. thanks for all that you both do for this program.

P.s. I'm about 40k from level 10 and I'm trying too 😂😁

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 8

Thank you for this great and inspiring post @TraciC

Level 9

Hello @TraciC nice post about @EmekaHouse he is inspiring local guide for us,Thank you for sharing with us...

@

Level 7

I am envious of @EmekaUlor.

@TraciC you are enlightening all Local Guides by your wisdom.

The advice in no.5 is really impressive.

Level 10

Hahah... Congratulations @EmekaUlor Great tips. Thank you @TraciC for sharing. 

#Level10 #Anythingispossible 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Level 10

It's been awesome knowing @EmekaUlor through the Local Guides program and joining hands with him to make many places in Lagos more wheelchair accessible. Thanks a million @TraciC.

Level 8

Thanks for sharing these tips that reflects the passion and dedication of @EmekaUlor,

It's not an overstatement that he is indeed an amazing local guide .

His passion and dedication are so inspiring. 

I remember the last meet up I attended and he showed up at the last minute having travelled over 2hours from his comfort zone just to make it down.

And I must confess that just the few minutes we had him in our midst,  the atmosphere was different, the gist and jokes we had and tips that he shared...He was really impressive.

Greater heights bro✌

Thanks for sharing @TraciC