Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to improve your nature photography

Photographing nature is a magical experience. Although it takes effort to capture a landscape or an animal in its natural setting, the results can be stunning when the right elements come together. To ensure that you are ready to capture these moments on your next outdoor adventure, there are some steps to keep in mind.

Here are 6 tips to take your nature photography to the next level. 

Photograph during “golden hour”

The number one photo tip I emphasize is to turn off your camera’s flash and use natural light. Better yet, try to photograph during "golden hour"—sometimes called “magic hour” by photographers—the time within the first hour of daylight and the last hour of daylight. The sunlight at this time of day is soft and gentle, eliminating  harsh shadows as the sun is low in the sky.

The photo below of the National Park of the Belluno Dolomites was taken at sunset, and the photographer successfully captured the beauty of the mountain range in the warm light.

Caption: A photo of the back view of a woman standing on a hilltop covered with flowers and looking through binoculars at a mountain range. The photo was taken during sunset at the National Park of the Belluno Dolomites in Belluno, Italy. (Local Guide Marco Menegazzo)Caption: A photo of the back view of a woman standing on a hilltop covered with flowers and looking through binoculars at a mountain range. The photo was taken during sunset at the National Park of the Belluno Dolomites in Belluno, Italy. (Local Guide Marco Menegazzo)

Be prepared

Nature likes to move quickly! Unfortunately, animals won’t pose for a photo. To be prepared to document animals in nature, it’s important to research your subject beforehand. Learn when the animal is most active and about their habits so you’re ready for the perfect capture. 

It’s also important to be patient and wait for the right time to photograph, as demonstrated in the photo below taken in the Addo Elephant National Park in South Africa. This tender image of an elephant with its trunk wrapped around a baby elephant was most likely a fleeting moment, captured at exactly the right time. 

Caption: A photo of an elephant with its trunk wrapped around a baby elephant’s leg, with another elephant next to them. The photo was taken in Addo Elephant National Park in Addo, South Africa. (Local Guide Eli Aizen)Caption: A photo of an elephant with its trunk wrapped around a baby elephant’s leg, with another elephant next to them. The photo was taken in Addo Elephant National Park in Addo, South Africa. (Local Guide Eli Aizen)

Shoot wide and low to the ground

To add drama to your landscape photos, get low to the ground and shoot from there. This combined wide and low perspective can help create leading lines that guide you to the subject matter in the background. When using a low angle, you also help emphasize the foreground elements, such as flowers or rocks, as seen in the photo below taken at Parc National du Bic in Quebec, Canada. These objects will help add a sense of depth to your final photo. 

Caption: A photo of a rocky waterfront lined with trees on the St. Lawrence River in Parc National du Bic in Quebec, Canada. (Local Guide Julien Schroder)Caption: A photo of a rocky waterfront lined with trees on the St. Lawrence River in Parc National du Bic in Quebec, Canada. (Local Guide Julien Schroder)

Connect with wildlife

When photographing animals in nature, you can create images with more emotional impact if you photograph from eye level. This will make viewers feel like they are present in the scene, and create a connection between the viewers and the animal. To shoot at eye level, explore different angles until you get the right position and wait for the right moment. 

In the photo below, the photographer caught a Humboldt penguin making eye contact at the Ballestas Islands National Reserve in Peru.

Caption: A photo of Humboldt penguins walking on rocks in the Ballestas Island National Reserve in Peru. One penguin is looking at the camera. (Local Guide ente_mit_hut)Caption: A photo of Humboldt penguins walking on rocks in the Ballestas Island National Reserve in Peru. One penguin is looking at the camera. (Local Guide ente_mit_hut)

Get in close 

There are so many beautiful elements in nature to capture! Get up close to explore the amazing textures and colors of rocks, tree bark, plant leaves, flowers and more. Try using a macro lens to get close to the subject or zoom in with your lens. By getting in close and capturing the tiny details, you can create some stellar photos!

Caption: A photo of a closeup of the green leaves of a plant. (Local Guide Jeremy Bezanger)Caption: A photo of a closeup of the green leaves of a plant. (Local Guide Jeremy Bezanger)

Respect nature

Last but not least, don’t forget to respect nature when you photograph. Know the rules of the area before you go and obey any signs. Try not to disturb anything in nature, whether it’s the wildlife or the plants and trees around you. Do not take a souvenir of a branch or flower with you. Watch your step as you go to avoid disturbing a creature's home, and do not feed any animals. 

Caption: A photo of a camera sitting on top of a rock ledge, overlooking the mountain range and valley of Yosemite National Park in California, USA. (Local Guide Joey)Caption: A photo of a camera sitting on top of a rock ledge, overlooking the mountain range and valley of Yosemite National Park in California, USA. (Local Guide Joey)

Have you taken a great nature photo using one of these tips? Share your photo and experience in the comments below.

135 comments
Level 9

Re: How to improve your nature photography

@Christina-NYC Very nice post. The 6 rules mentioned here will help me while I take the next photo. Expecting another post one how to take photos perfectly by using a smartphone. Thanks for sharing. 

Connect Moderator

Noted 📝 in my mind @Christina-NYC 

Connect Moderator

Another great collection of photo tips, @Christina-NYC. I love photographing nature and have made more of the effort recently to seek out those opportunities. Love the last tip - while getting the perfect shots may be our goals, we must be sure to take care of the land we're walking upon and to respect the rules of wherever we are taking photos. For instance, when I was in Denver earlier this year, I visited the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, there were many rules as far as not engaging the animals and being respectful, and we still were able to get great photos! Here are some of my photos and the tips they align with:

Treasure Island, Bay Area (Between SF and Oakland)Treasure Island, Bay Area (Between SF and Oakland)

Shoot wide and low to the ground

Kangaroo at Busch Gardens, Tampa FloridaKangaroo at Busch Gardens, Tampa Florida

Connect with wildlife

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 8

@Christina-NYC Nice tips. 🙂 Thank you for sharing this post with us.

Connect Moderator

I love nature and I love to capture nature in my camera @Christina-NYC Thanks for this useful tips. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Connect Moderator

Here is mine pic.

I'm not a good photographer but I've just tried to click it. 

Closeup view of green leafs captured by me.Closeup view of green leafs captured by me.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

Hi @Christina-NYC It's really grateful article sharing with us. Thanks alot for your valuable post.

Best Regards.

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Level 7

I've used many of the techniques mentioned by @Christina-NYC to capture nature around my house. 

Green anole sunning itselfGreen anole soaking up some sun - Photo by john_e_wright

This pic was taken right outside my front door using the following techniques:

• Be prepared
  • Get in close
  • Connect with nature

Level 10

Hi @Christina-NYC 

Thank you for this post with great tips.

Nkwetche from #Douala #LetsGuide #Wakawaka #Cameroun
https://www.instagram.com/nkwetche/?hl=fr