Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps

Googler

UPDATE: As of June 11, 2020, we now have a new process in place for reporting abusive activity on Google Maps. You can report entire profiles on Google Maps from your mobile device. Read this post to learn more.

Have you ever come across a place on Google Maps that doesn’t really exist? How about a place with incorrect details that look suspicious? These edits violate the Google My Business guidelines and Local Guides guidelines, and they’re considered fraud.

People post fraud on Google Maps for the sake of profit-generating scams, which hurt legitimate businesses and make Maps less useful for everyone. You can help fight spam by reporting violations.

Maps listings with keywords in their address fieldsMaps listings with keywords in their address fields

.:: How do I identify fraud on Google Maps? Look for the following.

• Businesses that list a P.O. Box, post office or virtual office as an address. A business needs to have a real-world address to be listed on Google Maps. Virtual offices and shared workspaces are acceptable if they’re staffed during typical business hours, but be aware that using these types of places as addresses is a popular fraud technique. P.O. Boxes are OK in countries where they are essential, such as Kenya and the U.A.E.
  • Online-only businesses. Online businesses that don’t meet customers face-to-face are not eligible to be on Maps.
  • Businesses that don’t exist. If a business is on Maps but is not real, it should be reported.
  • Businesses that use employees’ addresses. The scam here is to make it appear that the business has locations in places where it doesn’t actually operate. If you see a business that seems to be in a purely residential area, this might be the reason.
  • Keyword “stuffing.” If you see search terms “stuffed” into place names or address fields, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Fake websites or phone numbers. For example, a fraudulent hotel listing might include a hotel booking site instead of a site for an individual business. If a business’s site seems broken or distributes malware, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Business impersonators: Some people create fake listings for real businesses, such as national chains. If you think a listing might be fraudulent, check the brand’s official site to see its legitimate locations.
  • Reviews that point out abuse. Sometimes, people will notice a fraudulent listing and note it in a review.
  • Profanity. Sometimes, people will deface legitimate listings with edits that include foul language.
  • Illegal businesses: If a business is illegal where it operates, it can’t be on Google Maps.

.::How do I report fraud on Google Maps?

1. Find the business on Google Maps
  2. Scroll down and select Suggest an edit
  3. Tap Place is permanently closed or has never existed
  4. Select Spam, fake or offensive as the reason
  5. Tap Submit

Report the listing as spam flowReport the listing as spam flow

.::Reporting a Local Guide

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that seems to violate our policies or Local Guides program rules, you now have the ability to report these profiles directly in the Google Maps app. In order to do so, click on the user name in the list of Reviews/Photos they contributed or the Question/Answer they posted to get to their profile page. Once on their profile page, click on the three dot icon. Choose ‘Report’ from the menu on iOS or ‘Report profile’ on Android. For additional information, read this post.

.::Reporting spammed, fake, or duplicate prominent locations to Google Moderators

There are certain prominent places which Local Guides can’t edit in Google Maps, such as cities, towns, rivers, natural formations, and more. If you come across a spammed, fake or duplicate location for which you cannot submit an edit or your edit is automatically rejected, let us know in a comment below. Make sure to tag a Google Moderator and provide the following details: 

• Google Maps URL of the location (Eg: https://goo.gl/maps/qAZfCWDfZzoqchHL9);
  • What’s wrong with the place? Is it spammed, fake, or duplicate?
  • Which is the wrong information? Is it the name, category, or contact information?
  • What should the correct information be? Tell us the original name of the place in English and in the local language (if applicable), the right category (Zoo, Museum, etc.), and the correct contact information (official website, address, phone number, etc.).
2,851 Comments

thumps up

shahFaisalKhan
Level 8

Hey there!

I was wondering if there was a more direct contact for to join fight on scam and spam? I tryed the suggested ways now for a long time... A long (felt) wasted time.

Its like this topic:  This guide is less about the real problem, but more about sorting out certain informations by schooling peeps into the Google AGB...

I already have a whole bunch of facts, tools and puppetmasters at hand. Unfortunatly I am not willing to push these informations over to google by the suggested ways anymore...

Why? First: A lot of spammers are active here. So I ofc wont discuss on them here and let them reverse engeneer my tools just to get better in hiding or to start do degrade my person.

Second: Nothing ever happened on the inapp-Feedback-feature. So I recently abandonned it from my weapons of choice.

No pun intended, but I'm too proud, too busy and way to serious about changing something, to accept the offered ways. It's like beeing pointed to a wall....

Googles offer is IMHO way to halfhearted, kind of unthankfull, unrewarding (no talking back to one, no informations about the progress, no help, no thank you ,...) and totally selfcentred.

So... as soon as Google gets serious sboutsgetting stuff done and REALLY wants to involve people (instead of just using them like an additional nice-to-have-tool): You can consider me first in line! You knkn where to find me - you got my mail...

And to put one more on top.... (Yeah I know... People like me are rare here and pretty much unliked too, but):

My dear lvl 9 and 10 friends... I am so ashame of some of you! Almost every time I meet a high level guide and look up the stats (as a data analyst) and content, it turns out, that the provided content often is a shame!! Heartless and pointless 1-sentence-reviews, bad and unsharp pictures, pictures re-posts inidiffrent sizes, massive ratespam, stupid questions and answers... 

To be even more clear: I haven't met a single LVL10 yet, which  IIwould consider as "companion in mind" but much more ego-driven or with other (commercial) own interests.

It starts to feel pointless to fight a general lack of informationsi, a huge bunch of SEA-orientated business and people from within the local guides community. I feel a huge growth of halfhearted point-greeders. The new levels made things more greedy than honest...

Google really needs to get this solved on a more personal way or all the services will be getting more and more compromised by missinformation... Until its meaningless and un-carable in its size...

Cheers!

Hi,

I'd like to get in touch with a moderator to report a Local Guide that is posting plenty of personal holiday pictures that are completely irrelevant for other users and a lot of them are posted in the wrong place anyway.

For example, he has posted many pictures of a seaside area in a place called "Rotonda de la C", which is a roundabout far away from the beach.

Connect Moderator

Hi @danigamezfranco Thanks for reaching us

Please read this post to know how to report a Local Guide: /How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/

You will reached after Christmas by a Google moderator ( @JeslynL

In the meantime, I take this opportunity to wish you merry Christmas and a great new year for 2018 

Thanks again 

Ermes 

@TraciC I would like to report unethical behavior by a local guide, but I read that I must do so privately. I have information relevant to a specific local guide that I believe is defamatory in nature, solely to get local guide points. Thank you for your consideration.

Connect Moderator

Thanks for reaching us, @mufaddalhusen

You will be contacted by some Google moderator in the next days

Thanks for not publishing private information in here 

I wish you merry Christmas and a great new year @JeslynL

Ermes 

Former Google Contributor

Hey @SergeySud@LucioV is correct, you can send the details via the same channel we shared the last time. I've left a note in your inbox just in case, nonetheless. 🙂 Thanks! 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

@mufaddalhusen@danigamezfranco I've sent you a private message with more details. Thanks!

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 10

Thank you @JeslynL,

I just wanted to be sure that the old channel is working. The information sent. I hope for a quick answer and a solution, because the case is very serious:

• Using the Local Guides Program for commercial purposes;
  • Using the Google and  Local Guides logo for commercial purposes;
  • Pretending to be a Google representative;
  • 360 photos have superimposed content on more than 25% of the equirectangular image;
  • Photos have superimposed content on more than 10% of the image;
  • Superimposed text and graphics are distracting and spammy.
Level 5

I'd like to report a Local Guide for spamming photos and off-topic reviews for hundreds of locations. @TraciC

Level 8

Please, use the "Search the Community" section to know about, how to report a Local Guide or their photo/reviews.
It's already been mentioned in the several posts there. 

Level 5
Connect Moderator

The procedure is the right one @Phing

You tagged the admin 

Let me tag a Google moderator for you ( @Atsukot

Ermes 

Thank you so much! @ErmesT

Hello @Phing, I have reached out to you via private message with more details about sharing such information with the team. Please check your inbox. Thank you.

Googler

@JeroenM wrote:

Dear @Rodrigo_P,

I had the same question on how to deal with hijacking, but your answer does not solve my problem:

Hi @YK1001,

This is a very good question. In case you or any Local Guide come across a "hijacked" POI , please edit it to correct the information by using the "Suggest an Edit" feature and it will be reviewed accordingly. Please do the same if you see incorrect information on any of the attributes of a particular POI but you know that the place is genuine.  Thank you for your continuous contributions to keep Maps data fresh and accurate !

Thank you,

Many small businesses have no website. So when spammers hijack a business with an empty field for website, it is my experience that it is impossible to remove it. @Flash has told us that we can change data, but that the system doesn't like/ allow removing data altogether....as if the wrong phone number or website is better than no phone number or website? Anyway, I find that such edits are immediately NOT APPLIED, so no human reviewing. How are we supposed to fight such SPAM if the workflow of the system automatically rejects the edits?

Would it not make sense to create a trick where we type "spam" in the field where we removed the hijacked spam data? It would be a great way to report spam on a field basis.

Hi @JeroenM,

Thank you for your feedback. In case you find such instances where a small business that has no website has been hijacked , the best way to proceed would be to help the merchant claim the business via Google My Business (if it's on your neighborhood) . You will be able to know if the business hasn't been claimed if you see "Claim this business" on the place sheet. By claiming the business, a website will be auto generated taking the information from the listing, which the merchant can edit. You can find more information here  

For the cases where the business it's not near you , I would still recommend to use either the "suggest an edit" feature to provide the correct information or  the  "Send feedback" option to explain the issue with more detail so that the team can take a closer look. 

We are working on better ways to report hijacks and your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your contributions.

Regards 

Googler

@SergeySud wrote:

Hi @Rodrigo_P

Today one of branches of Vardex have changed the name again to spam name Магазин электронных сигарет Vardex  (mean Electronic Cigarette Store Vardex).

A have changed back. Looks like they wants continue to  play a game of cat and mouse. Do you want to stop it?

----------------------------------------------

Another chain - https://goo.gl/7HWSSF

The real name of shops is Подружка (Podruzhka).

But they use names Сеть магазинов косметики "Подружка" (mean Cosmetics Stores Chain "Podruzhka").

I have already changed all the names 2 times. But the owner restore spam names again. Today I changed all the names again.

Hi @SergeySud,

Thank you for flagging this issue , it's indeed an ongoing one. I have checked the "Vardex" branch that you reported and the correct data it's live on Maps after your edit . In case, you notice further changes to the incorrect name, please don't hesitate to report it and we ll take action accordingly.

Regarding the second chain , I have escalated the issue so that the correct name is reflected on Maps .Please understand the volumes that the moderation team handles , so I ask you for your patience. 

Thank you and Merry Christmas

Level 8

@Rodrigo_P

Thank you for your response and letting me know that I am doing the right thing. Also very happy to hear that the Team is working on improvements to report hijacks.

I am not sure if you monitor the feedback forum on Connect, but today I made two posts related to flagging photos.

Post #1

I am concerned about a bug in Maps that may put our accounts in jeopardy as our photos might get fla...

Post#2

I think that the current set up of photos in relation to reviews is asking for photos to be flagged ...

In both cases, the main concern is, does it potentially hurt our account? Or does the system recognize the difference between a photo that got wrongly allocated by a bot, versus placed there intentionally? 

I can tell you from the forum posts that I have read on the Product Forum and GMB, that many business owners would be VERY HAPPY if photos related to reviews did not show up in the main photo album of a place. 

So as a Googler who is clearly involved in keeping the map clean, could you please reassure us that there is no reason to worry?

Level 10

Hi @Rodrigo_P

Thank you very much for your attention! Will keep in touch with you!

Sorry, I can't answer to your private message. I get an error: "You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later." Probably, my limit is zero.

Level 7

Hi there,

As a responsible guide, I take pride in the postings I make and my overall contribution to Google Maps.

However, I am annoyed at a particular guide who is just posting images and videos of the interior of his home and that are nothing to do with Google Maps.

How can I report this guide and get his images removed?

@GusMoreira @JeslynL

Level 10

@BusyBee wrote:

Hi there,

As a responsible guide, I take pride in the postings I make and my overall contribution to Google Maps.

However, I am annoyed at a particular guide who is just posting images and videos of the interior of his home and that are nothing to do with Google Maps.

How can I report this guide and get his images removed?

Hi @BusyBee you can report single images using the three dots menu on the image.

If you want to report a Local Guide you have to tag a Googler; tagging in connect, I know it's odd, is not intended to be done in "Tag" area.

To tag a specific person, you should write in the message a "@" followed by some characters of the person you want to tag, and then choose from the options.

I will tag here one Googler for you: @JeslynL

Level 8

Screenshot_20171228-204139.png

I think one of the solution is that u can open the particular image and click on the flag sign on bottom right corner and choose your response for the image.....I understand it will be difficult if the images are a lot....there can be other ways for the problem...may be other LGs can help more on this

Level 7

Thank you for this LucioV - I now know I tagged the mods incorrectly.

I did start to report the individual images but there are too many that this person has posted of the interior of his home and so I was was looking to find how to report the individual for investigation by a moderator.

Looks like I might need to redo my post to get the mod tagging in the right area now that I know the "Tags" isn't for the tags I wanted to use.

Thanks again my friend!

Level 7

Thanks ahmarkhan26 this is helpful.  Unfortunately you are correct as this person has posted many images of the interior of his home.  I have a solution to report the individual responsible that I will try.

Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks for reporting, @BusyBee. I've sent you a private message with more details on how to share this information with the team. Check your inbox! Happy holidays! 🙂

Level 1

This has been happening for a while. They should verify all listings with a postcard for Google Business listings.

Level 9

The most important spam work is done by Digital Marketing and website developers . Stuffing keywords after verification is possible with Verified business , Conditions Like Full capital letters , State name , etc should automatically blocked by Google artificial intelligence 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 7

Hi,

I have come across a spammer ID, who has posted over 2000 photos, each and every one of them is fake and spam. You can understand the spamming just by looking at the photo.  

Could any one of u contact me ?  @JeslynL @TraciC, @LuisRG, @BellaWi

I am not sharing the ID publicly, as suggested earlier.

He also has over 200 reviews, they seem authentic to me, but I don't know why he is continuously posting spam images. It ruined many places in GMaps. 

Thanks

Connect Moderator

Hi @Shafi016

Thanks for reaching us.

Please read this post to know how to report a Local Guide: /How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/

Let me tag a moderator for you (your tag doesn't work) 

@JeslynL

Ermes 

Level 8

Having followed the advice in opening post, my attempts to mark a driving school's 4 spam listings in the area as such keep getting auto rejected. Seeing as how their website listed on google maps has no contact address and keyword stuffs like it's 1999 I'd have thought it'd be an easy edit, but apparently not.

Likewise taxi companies seem prone to providing themselves with prime town centre locations on maps but are noticeably absent in the real world and also seem remarkably hard to shift from the map.

Ordinarily I do enjoy fact finding and editing, but sometimes it can be frustrating as hell when people are able to spam with apparent impunity. My concern is that all these auto "not applied" that I'm getting in the fight against spam aren't going to do me any favours when it comes to adding and editing genuine places.

Level 7

I have this same report to make.

I have discovered a Google Local Guide that is being used to post inappropriate photos to many locations on Google Maps. It looks like, for the most part, this behavior extends to their reviews.

Please tell me how to proceed,

~Kan

Level 7

Hello, Guides

I have found a user who is constantly spamming his photos on many listings. Where I can report this user or delete all his spammy photos at once.  link to  spammer user profile is <CONTRIBUTIONS URL REMOVED>

Level 10

Correct. You can report it to any moderator.

Now a days strange things happening in Google. They remove genuine contributors photos/videos and keep spammers. I think their artificial intelligence is not working properly For example I was a level 10 local guide, now demoted to level 7 because of removal of all my photos/videos.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Rahuljs 

Please first Remove the link of this user and tag any one Google moderator in your post. The team will reach out to you via private message with instructions on how to proceed further.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

@Rahuljs, I've removed the link from your post for privacy reasons. I'll look into the Local Guide you've reported and would like to point you to How Do I Report Content on Google Maps? for your reference. Thanks! 

Level 7

Is there a way to report a batch of photos that are obviously in error? If I report one bad photo, will they all be corrected in the group, or does every photo need to be reported for every individual photo.  There's lots of examples out there, but one random and specific example are that these are not (removed Google Building Name) in (location)...

(removed link for privacy reasons by request of the moderator)

Connect Moderator

There is no batch feature, but in this case I think what needs to be reported is the Local Guide who posted them.  He may have innocently labelled them all when he meant to label one, but they still need to be corrected

For privacy reasons, can you please remove the building name and the link from your post, and I'll tag @JeslynL so that she can come in and contact you directly for the details.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

OK removed by your request. 

Note that it is not hard to find a groups of photos out there that are wrong, even at sites you'd think Google would watch more carefully like Google's own buildings and US National Monuments.  Many have been out there for a long time and are not being corrected.  My theory is baybe because it is too hard for people to report.   I don't think these bad photos are intentional, and most are not, but nevertheless, it's becoming a big problem because it is easy to make a mistake, but hard to report and get fixed.

A feature request should go into Google to report large groups of photos that are wrong as few people are not likely going to take the time to report every one.

My question is answered.  Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This content has been removed.
Level 7

Hello

I'll tag @MariaBi for this one.

Unfortunately I'am not able to give you the email address you can report this on, within the forum.

Hi @Anonymous

Many thanks for reaching out. I'll contact you shortly via private message to give you further instructions. 

Thanks @GenerolHavoc for tagging me. 

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 7

@Anonymous

Oh , Forgot to add.

You're going to need evidence , the more the better like links to the POI he's uploaded the duplicate photo's too etc.

Connect Moderator

@GenerolHavoc

Mail address for reporting to Google should not be shared, even if you had it. Tagging a Google moderator, like you suggest, is the right thing to do.

We usually share this: How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/

So you can bookmark the link, if you like. The post gives all the necessary information on how to report, in maps or here 

Ermes 

Level 7

@ErmesT

Done.

Level 7

Still, no contact. 

waiting for a moderator to response.

Sure they'll contact you my friend. I really appreciate for work 🙂 

Please be noted moderators are just like a Local guide with access to some more (small) function in the forum so I'm positive soon they'll reach you @Shafi016.

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Level 6

@TraciC I read one of your answers about fake reviews and wonder if you can help me.  I enjoy the feature of Google maps and love reviewing things because I like to see reviews on places new to me.

I ran across a review from an individual calling himself Ho Dor <CONTRIBUTION URL REMOVED>

This is a fictional character from Game Of Thrones.  Evidently it does not violate google map standards because my multiple attempts to have this review removed have failed.  

This bogus  review if at  <REVIEW URL REMOVED>

thank you for your help

Contact moderator please.

thanks, 

AVT

Please i need to report a local guide

thanks

I have a problem with a Local guide

thanks

AVT

Level 10

@JeslynL@BellaWi Just tagging you for your kind attention. Thanks