Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps

Googler

UPDATE: As of June 11, 2020, we now have a new process in place for reporting abusive activity on Google Maps. You can report entire profiles on Google Maps from your mobile device. Read this post to learn more.

Have you ever come across a place on Google Maps that doesn’t really exist? How about a place with incorrect details that look suspicious? These edits violate the Google My Business guidelines and Local Guides guidelines, and they’re considered fraud.

People post fraud on Google Maps for the sake of profit-generating scams, which hurt legitimate businesses and make Maps less useful for everyone. You can help fight spam by reporting violations.

Maps listings with keywords in their address fieldsMaps listings with keywords in their address fields

.:: How do I identify fraud on Google Maps? Look for the following.

• Businesses that list a P.O. Box, post office or virtual office as an address. A business needs to have a real-world address to be listed on Google Maps. Virtual offices and shared workspaces are acceptable if they’re staffed during typical business hours, but be aware that using these types of places as addresses is a popular fraud technique. P.O. Boxes are OK in countries where they are essential, such as Kenya and the U.A.E.
  • Online-only businesses. Online businesses that don’t meet customers face-to-face are not eligible to be on Maps.
  • Businesses that don’t exist. If a business is on Maps but is not real, it should be reported.
  • Businesses that use employees’ addresses. The scam here is to make it appear that the business has locations in places where it doesn’t actually operate. If you see a business that seems to be in a purely residential area, this might be the reason.
  • Keyword “stuffing.” If you see search terms “stuffed” into place names or address fields, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Fake websites or phone numbers. For example, a fraudulent hotel listing might include a hotel booking site instead of a site for an individual business. If a business’s site seems broken or distributes malware, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Business impersonators: Some people create fake listings for real businesses, such as national chains. If you think a listing might be fraudulent, check the brand’s official site to see its legitimate locations.
  • Reviews that point out abuse. Sometimes, people will notice a fraudulent listing and note it in a review.
  • Profanity. Sometimes, people will deface legitimate listings with edits that include foul language.
  • Illegal businesses: If a business is illegal where it operates, it can’t be on Google Maps.

.::How do I report fraud on Google Maps?

1. Find the business on Google Maps
  2. Scroll down and select Suggest an edit
  3. Tap Place is permanently closed or has never existed
  4. Select Spam, fake or offensive as the reason
  5. Tap Submit

Report the listing as spam flowReport the listing as spam flow

.::Reporting a Local Guide

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that seems to violate our policies or Local Guides program rules, you now have the ability to report these profiles directly in the Google Maps app. In order to do so, click on the user name in the list of Reviews/Photos they contributed or the Question/Answer they posted to get to their profile page. Once on their profile page, click on the three dot icon. Choose ‘Report’ from the menu on iOS or ‘Report profile’ on Android. For additional information, read this post.

.::Reporting spammed, fake, or duplicate prominent locations to Google Moderators

There are certain prominent places which Local Guides can’t edit in Google Maps, such as cities, towns, rivers, natural formations, and more. If you come across a spammed, fake or duplicate location for which you cannot submit an edit or your edit is automatically rejected, let us know in a comment below. Make sure to tag a Google Moderator and provide the following details: 

• Google Maps URL of the location (Eg: https://goo.gl/maps/qAZfCWDfZzoqchHL9);
  • What’s wrong with the place? Is it spammed, fake, or duplicate?
  • Which is the wrong information? Is it the name, category, or contact information?
  • What should the correct information be? Tell us the original name of the place in English and in the local language (if applicable), the right category (Zoo, Museum, etc.), and the correct contact information (official website, address, phone number, etc.).
2,851 Comments
Connect Moderator
Level 8

I have found a user who has done nothing but post 1000s of irrelevant photos and nothing else. I can't see any way to report them via Maps. I've flagged so many but there are literally 1000s and I don't have that sort of time and so far nobody has done a thing about removing the photos.

Thanks.

Level 1

Hi, @ErmesT. The pictures de local guide uploaded don't correspond with my property. He did this: "Submit false, falsified, deceptive or inadequate reviews, modifications or withdrawals." How can I report him?

Level 6

Hi @NadyaPN can you please send me details as well?

Connect Moderator

Hi @Dulcamara

I am starting this reply with a consideration: that a photo can be posted in the wrong place. In any case there are, in the link that I shared with you, two options:

How to report the single contribution on Google Maps, if this is the case.

How to report a local guide here on Connect, if the local guide is contributing in a continuative way with wrong contribution.

After that, looking to your post and your profile, you seems to be here as a business, only for reporting this situation that you want to solve.

Please note that Local Guides is a program for individuals only, and business activities are not allowed on here

So, being a Business activity, you should not be in this program

Being a business activities, you can register in the free program of Google Mybusiness, so follow this link: https://www.google.com/business/. With Mybusiness you can also have more control of your page in Google Maps.

Ermes

Iagree with you! If we want to share group photos or selfies, well, I agree it can be good to have a human figure in a photo, for scale effect, but selfish selfies should not be put out there as typical photos of the region. No! We all want photos of POI. THAT'S mapping with others kept in the mind of the photographer! He or she should concentrate on showing off the place, not your own friends/ family! Lets put selfies in Private messages! Ok?

ChristineBrandon

Businesses are not supposed to be represented as localguidesconnect. Right? So should I report localguides who are representing businesses?

ChristineBrandon

If a localguide presents him or herself as representing a business, that person should be reported. I wondered if I should be extra careful about reporting inappropriate material because I don't want to make a mistake. But then I argued with muself and I decided that it would be better to be safe with the Connect rules and go ahead and report and let the experts catch it if I've made a mistake, well that's okay! I'll admit it. No prob. Just learning! Rather try to stick to the rules because this site's just too darned important! 🙂

ChristineBrandon
Level 7

Hello.

I am tagging a moderator @FelipePK as there is a local guide who I would like to report.

Thanks!

Hello

I'm a level 5 guide who lives in Northern Ont., well, it's more central but people refer to it as Northern because of its wilderness quality. Check out where I am in Espanola, a wee Fine Paper town of under 5000 population. But check out all the lakes and surrounding forests. Hope you get you problem solved! 

ChristineBrandon
Former Google Contributor

Hi @Drachen,

Thanks for reaching me out. I just wanted to let you know that I've edited your post a bit because you have tagged another person instead of me ^^. 

I will send you a private message with the information you need in order to report a Local Guide. 

Lastly, I'm moving your post to this one  How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps.

Cheers.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Bonjour,
Je souhaite vous faire part ici, en se basant sur un cas réel d'un phénomène de plus en plus fréquent de "cannibalisme" . Une entreprise en général de service s'attaque au profil d'un site ou commerce important et remplace le nom par le sien, idem pour le site internet, le numéro de téléphone etc ........
Pour l'exemple la société "horlogerie service Perpignan" s'est "implantée" sur le profil de "Galerie Lafayette" Perpignan. Il a remplacé le nom de Galeries Lafayette par le sien et remplacé également le N° de téléphone, le site internet etc.....
https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Montre+Service+Perpignan+GL/@42.7009119,2.8929777,17z/data=!4m8!1m2...
J'ai essayé à plusieurs reprises de rétablir la situation sans succès.
Ce n'est pas un cas isolé, et le plus souvent la réaction est négative. Dommage !
Une remarque, c'est qu'il s'agit le plus souvent de restaurants ou sociétés de service à ce que j'ai pu constater.
Autres exemples : Un restaurant avait pris la place d'un site de Lisbonne, nous avons obtenu satisfaction au bout de 3 mois ! Une société de couverture avait cannibalisé le parc naturel Loire Anjou Touraine en France, un agent immobilier s'est implanté sur une église .........
Il serait peut être intéressant de créer une forme d'alerte spécifique qui serait prioritaire. Une "sanction" à la hauteur de la fraude serait sans doute dissuasive
Cordialement

Level 5

I have found a one-star review by a local editor for a business they've never done business with. Attached are screenshots.

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 9.34.04 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-08-31 at 9.35.52 AM.jpg

Level 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of my friend downloads some pictures on some topics and uploading them to Google maps. His name is Savindu nimsara but I don't know his email please get an action soon. He may not guide with his real name. Thank you.

Connect Moderator

Your post is getting merged with the one @ErmesT suggested to help you get around.

Searching the community before creating a message, could be very helpful. Many questions already resolved. However, if you need more information, do not hesitate to mention the Google and Connect moderators or reply here.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Hello @BruceDM @Atsukot @KarenVChin @TraciC

I have noticed a prolific Local Guide contributor in my community who is eager to answer questions other community members have on Google Maps. My concern is with the manner they answer the questions. I don't believe they is adhering to the guidelines. The tone they uses is extremely condescending and off-putting. They often questions the judgement of people asking questions, the individual provides unnecessary commentary, many times replying without an actual answer. On and on, I can provide varies documented examples of them breaking the spirit of the Local Guide community. Thank you all in advance and I look forward to hearing from someone to resolve the issue. Also I understanding that my reporting will not be make me privy to an update on your decision. (Trying to avoid a generic reply with the basic info informing of the next steps, I've seen enough of those too understand the process of reporting a fellow guide, you will privately contact me) 😋

Connect Moderator

@RivXuxin, thanks for your post. It’s Friday night here in the States. A Googler will contact you Monday.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 8

No worries @KarenVChin@ It's Friday night here in Southern California also 😂🤣. Understandable with  getting back to me on Monday. thanksfor the quick reply! 👍🏽Oh and Happy Weekend, Enjoy

Hi @RivXuxin,

I will reach out to you via private message with more information regarding this.

In the meantime, I have moved your post to a How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps thread, just to keep Connect organized.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

Hi everyone. I sent a suggestion to a bus company via the google maps q&a and within 2 mins I got a super random response from a Level 8 local guide.

I checked out his profile and found out he does that, he posts compulsively answers with no real content, and copypastes reviews, and his 1900+ pictures are pretty much duplications x2 and sometimes x3 of the same thing over and over.

I am kinda sick of ppl taking advantage of the system like that, specially because the stuff Ive been doing over here are well sustained and well curated, i invested a great deal of dedication to upload substancial stuff.

His Spanish grammar is deplorable, he even says 'wed page' instead of 'web page' (not a typo, I saw it like within 10 of his fake answers where he sents folks to google stuff instead of providing a response, duh).

I have his profile link, Ill wait for an admin to respond first.

Level 10

@mariacaci Thanks for sharing this and helping to keep Maps clean and accurate.

For reporting content, users, spammers in Google Maps, you can read this post for the process: Reporting Spam 

And here is the list of Google Moderators 

For this case, I will just tag 2 Google Moderators so they can contact you for the information regarding the suspected spammer. One of them will reach out to you via private message for this, and Google will investigate but results and outcome will not be shared.

@GeorgesHR @KlaudiyaG thanks for your kind assistance 🙂 

Hi @mariacaci,

Thanks for reaching out.

I will send you a private message with instructions about how to report a Local Guide.

By the way I've merged your post to a Report a Spammer topic, just to keep Connect organized.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Hi,

I´ve noticed that there are companies who sell "granted custom reviews from real users", and pay for it according to the Local Guides Level.

This behavior goes against the Local Guides rules and obviously, I won't publish the website but the question is: Where to report it?

Thanks

If your question has been answered, please use the button on the most helpful reply to mark it as the accepted solution. This helps other users find answers in future. Thanks!
@jlasolis tuclavelocal.com
Level 10

Hi @jlasolis,

Thanks for reaching out.

As @Julien44 mentioned, you' ll receive a private message from one of the Google Moderators. So, now I'll send you one with instructions you need to follow if you want to report a Local Guide.

By the way I've merged your post to the How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps, just to keep Connect organized.

Level 8

Thanks @Julien44 and @MashaPS for the reply and the merge.

If your question has been answered, please use the button on the most helpful reply to mark it as the accepted solution. This helps other users find answers in future. Thanks!
@jlasolis tuclavelocal.com
Level 7

Thank you for the quick response. I followed all the instructions.

I am not only a guide now, I am also a user and I don't appreciate shadiness.

It seems pretty funny, but Local Guides should not be part of these activities as it violates Contributed Content Policy.

Dear Google moderators @NadyaPN @MashaPS @IrrPavlova, could you please take care of it.

Salisbury Cathedral on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/UjUDVp4WoNQ2

Hi @EugeneKostylev,

Thanks for tagging me. 

I am going to send you a private message with instructions about how to report a Local guide.

Please note that the picture has been removed from this post, because it contained personal information. Just to  remind you, we do not encourage Local Guides to share private information publicly on Connect in order to protect yours and other users' privacy and safety. 

Besides all I would like to let you know that I've merged your post to a How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps thread where you can read more about this.

Hey @MashaPS,

I wasn't supposed to report specific Local Guides, it's just an example and a  friendly reminder that LG's should not be a part of this.

Btw, it's not a private information, as this review (as many others) are currently available on the Google Maps for everyone.

Level 8

Hi,

I see a local business listing multiple locations as their offices. Moreover, they have verified these locations via Google My Business. So no matter how many times I report, the location stays as they simply reject update which goes to them in Google My Business.

These people are falsely fooling people using this incorrect map location of their office and claiming that their residential projects are in prime locations. One of my friends was also duped by these people.

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 20.51.36.pngScreen Shot 2018-09-16 at 20.51.26.png

As you can see there are multiple listings, apart from the projects, the Jrd Villas is a dummy listing, similarly there is one more dummy listing for Jrd USA. 

Such dummy listings should not be there on map. 

Any help in closing these dummy listings would help.

Thanks,

Chaitanya

Level 5

Quiero reportar un usuario de Local Guides, tiene muchas fotos similares o no son correctas.

[Redacted]

@JavieraAu

Hola @DonisJavi

He redactado tu post porque en Connect no recomendamos exponer los perfiles de otros Local Guides.  

Por favor tómate un tiempo para leer la política de la comunidad. Estoy segura que vas a encontrar muy buenos consejos que te ayudarán en tus futuras publicaciones.

Ten en cuenta que te voy a enviar un mensaje privado con la información de cómo reportar un Local Guide.

P.D.: Voy a trasladar tu publicación en el tema How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10
Level 10

L.S.

I have just come across a Dutch lvl 9 Local Guide whose reviews and photos have raised a few red flags for me. 

A large amount of the reviews are simply copy/paste messages. A lot of ATM machines have the same descriptions. The same goes for mailboxes and a store chain. The user also has a lot of 'reviews' that are simply copied website descriptions of the places (often with a few words changed to make it look like it is written from his perspective).

The user also has a large amount of photos that look like they are simply screenshots of Google maps of the place.

I have reported a bunch of the reviews, and I am wondering if I can report the Local Guide as a whole. 

One final note: a lot of his copied reviews are in Dutch (the rest of them are in English). This issue may have to be handled by a Dutch staff member, if it comes to that.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to read my question. This is my first post and I have no idea how to tag this properly.

Yours Sincerely, 

JM

Connect Moderator

Hello @J_M, what you need to do in such cases is to tag a Google moderator, like @GeorgesHR, who will then get in touch with you in a private message to give further instructions.

As I happen to be a Dutch native speaker, I will gladly assist if anything Dutch related comes up.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10
Level 10

Thanks! I assume your message will have notified him. I'm Dutch too, so no worries. Thanks for the offer though!

Level 7

Hi everyone,

My name is Ramiro, from Argentina, and I have been a local guide for a while now, but it's my first post here.

I'm creating this post because I have detected a fraudulent behavior on Google Maps and I haven't found a way to report it.

There's an ice cream in my hometown (Bella Vista, Buenos Aires, Argentina), to which I go since I was a kid. I kind of know the owner and they have the best ice cream I've ever had. I think I created the page on Google Maps for them.

Anyway, several months ago, I realised any time I got to Google Maps to call the shop, the phone number disappeared. Sometimes, even the place wasn't there anymore. Each time, I added it or corrected the mistakes myself.

There's another ice cream shop, the competition, just some meters away. I always suspected of them being the ones trying to hurt my favorite ice cream shop reputation (or steal their clients) and today I confirmed my suspicions.

I turns out, these [Redacted] edited the shop's name to their own. This means they basically stole their reviews. I know because I wrote a review myself, and it 'suddenly appeared' in the competition's Google Maps page. I'm quite sure they are the ones that keep erasing the phone number from the shop I care about.

You should be able to easily confirm this by checking the change history for the pages I'll provide.

I read in a post, I should tag a moderator: @JavieraAu can you please help me? 

This is the ice cream shop I know

Green

[Redacted]

And these are the fraudulent ones. If you check the previous title for this, you'll find it used to be "Green's". The same user who did that, is probably the one who keeps submitting changes to delete the phone number in the link above.

Heladería Guito [Redacted]

I think I've got some evidence from when I submitted the corrections myself. Please tell me if that, or anything else is necessary.

Thanks! 

Cheers

Hi @J_M,

I will contact you over a Private Message with more information.

Thanks for the mention @JanVanHaver.

Please note that I will merge the topic here - How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps to keep Connect consistent.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Connect Moderator

Hi @ra_moyano

Thanks for reaching us.

You don't need to submit anithing else in here, as for this post about how to report a Local Guide: How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps.

For sure @JavieraAu or another Google Moderator will reach you, so you will be able to share all the information privately.

Thank you again

Ermes

Hi @ra_moyano

Please note that I've edited your message because we value everyone's privacy and sharing private information is not encouraged on Connect. Also remember that this platform is a global community with many people from various cultural backgrounds who speak various languages. Profanity of any kind is not allowed here as we want Connect to be a warm and welcoming place for all, so please refrain from using inappropriate language.

I will send you a private message with additional information on how to report a Local Guide. 

PS: I've moved your post to How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

Thanks! And sorry for that. I won't do that again.

Cheers

Level 7

Hi, I'd also like to report a local guide. He's answering questions about places with "I don't know", and giving one and two star reviews with an explanation that he hasn't been there yet, but he will when he has time...

Level 6

@GeorgesHR I would like to report a Local Guide abusing reviews

Level 2

Fellows, this reporting method is broken, and as a result, the ratings are becoming worthless. An effective countermeasure would be a simple method of flagging an abusive local guide for review of adherence to T&C.  I am not an active local guide, nor do I plan on utilizing average ratings  for any decision-making as a consumer. 

Hi @cvsloane,

Thanks for reaching out.

I will get in touch with you via private message.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 4

@GeorgesHR

I suspect local guide of changing names / categories of major institutions in my town to fake ones. 
For example, 'school' category was changed to 'prison', phone number to christian school was set to '666 666 666' and 80% of school names was changed.
I am not 100% sure who did that,  but I've found local community page on Facebook, where some user claim that he did some "funny" changes on Google Maps. I've found his account on Google+ too.

Thanks for your help.

Hello @WilyLynx,

I will contact you over a Private Message with more information.

Level 7

Hello; I've recently been solicited by a business for positive Google reviews in return for 50% discounts on services. This policy was communicated to me as standard operation procedure for the company when dealing with all customers, and a large, bimodal distribution of ratings as 5-star and 1-star on Google and other review sites confirms suspicious activity in reviews posted. How do I report this business for violation of Google Places / Google My Business policy? @MarinSt

Thanks!