JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

How to get rid of that annoying 0 for 'Roads added'

When you take a look at the details of your contributions in your Google Maps profile, the chances are big that, for most of you, there are substantial numbers for 'Photos', 'Reviews' and quite often also 'Answers'. But for most local guides, the counter for one particular type of contribution remains at 0: 'Roads added'. This is particularly true if you live in an area where Google Maps has been around for ages. "All the streets in my neighbourhood are on the map already, so how could I possibly ever get rid of that annoying 0?" local guides from those areas might argue.

Which is true... to a large extent, but not completely. Across the globe, almost everywhere new (parts of) roads are added from time to time, as e.g. new territories get developed for extra housing. The difficulty is obviously: find them before those are added on Maps either by an update from the local administration submitted to the partner the Google Maps is cooperating with to obtain map data for your area, or by another local guide.

The technique I am sharing here is a guaranteed method of finding such newly added roads, but I should warn you in advance: it does require some patience and an eye for detail. The patience refers to the fact that my technique has the best chance of being successful when new satellite images have been uploaded to Maps for the area where you live, so it's very likely that you'll have to wait and check Maps regularly (which could be an excellent opportunity for doing some #LGCTM every time you're there 😉).

Added Road.png

The eye for detail, then, comes in when the new satellite images are there: you should be scrolling around the satellite map at the right zoom level (as shown in the 1st image) and hunt for pale line-shaped elements near areas where there are roads already. With pale I mean: clearly paler than the surroundings (as you see in image 1 above). Those paler areas are often places where construction works have taken place in the recent past (or might still be ongoing), and the fact that they are line-shaped typically means those are new roads. Image 2 shows what this looks like when zoomed in, and image 3, the same area in the default map view (yes, I'm using dark mode) I have added to illustrate the fact that this road is not yet mapped.

Here's another example using the same technique of an area where a more complex new road structure was added.

Added Road 2.png

Happy hunting, and do let me know if you had any luck getting rid of your 0. And by the way: don't bother looking up the 2 areas shown in the examples here - as I have obviously submitted edits to add those roads already 😊

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Ledeberg, België
26 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to get rid of that annoying 0 for 'Roads added'

Great post, @JanVanHaver

Do you also have some tips on how to spot when new satellite images, have been added?

Cheers

Morten 

Connect Moderator

Hello @JanVanHaver 

Thanks for this post. I'll go hunting right away.

Please may I ask, how do you draw the lines on the roads? I Have been thinking of that "0" alright and hope this will finally get rid of it😉.

Screenshot_20210405-175436_Earth.jpg

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Tips for finding out when new satellite images are added @MortenCopenhagen ? No, unfortunately not (yet?)

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Thank you 

@JanVanHaver 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

Connect Moderator

Actually @MortenCopenhagen  after giving it some thoughts, I can elaborate a bit on some signs that tell me a new satellite image might be there:

•  What your home address looks like (car in the driveway, something you changed in the garden)
  • Did anyone in your street recently had solar panels installed?
  • Is there a construction site near you? The way it looks on the images is a good indication of how old those images are
Connect Moderator

Hehe, I have been thinking also, @JanVanHaver

On the desktop version of Google Maps there is a credit text at the bottom of all satellite / airal photos. It mentions a year if you zoom in so only one image source is credited. I believe that the year mentioned can help us determine if the satellite images are newer or not.

Cheers

Morten 

Level 7
Level 7

Google Earth has a layer that shows where latest satellite imagery is added: Google Earth

About adding roads, it is quite hard as most of the edits won't be approved. And many countries don't have this option available as well which can be a problem for users living there. I am not sure how to increase the chances of road additions to be approved but it looks like you will get more success once you start to get approved edits. Try to focus on simpler edits such as adding information to businesses and other POIs so you account starts to get some credit then try a few road edits. Some of them may be approved at some point but it will never be 100% even if your edits are all correct.

Connect Moderator

Wow, great tip with the Google Earth layer @L-C . Have you seen this @MortenCopenhagen ?

Most of my road adding edits have been approved so far, but I also have no clue why some are not.