AlexanderChalkidis's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

How to get more people involved as Local Guides?

No matter how many places we map, the more eyes, phones, legs and hands helping the better.  Here are some things I have tried that work (and a few that don't) - please add your experience and tips in the comments!IMG_20150615_161924.jpg

1. Just do it.  Right "there" wherever "there" is, add a location, make a correction, show them and then...

2. ...show them again.  Particularly technophobes, older people or well, anyone that wants attention, OK, almost everyone likes a reminder.

3. DON'T harp on about how easy it is.  Some people feel stupid when you add a location in two seconds flat and they are still figuring how to sign in to Maps or something like that.

4. DON'T expect everyone to consider it as important as we do.  Many times I just quietly add a place, maybe tell them and then just say goodbye with a smile.  Maybe next time they will be more interested.

5. Sometimes you get stuck showing them basics on their phone/computer/tablet; it goes with the territory.  Showing what you can do as a local guide automatically turns you into a "guru" in their eyes.

6. Conversely some people are really picky about you seeing their phone.  They will insist to hold it themselves (no problem, actually better way for them to learn) or breathe down your neck.  Often better to show them on your phone in these cases.

7. Some people are perfectionists.  "Oh, I don't have the perfect photo..." or "no, I want to finish our website first"...  point out to them that anything is better than nothing.  Even just a name and category with the location.  They can always edit it later.

By way of making the whole interaction easier:IMG_20160821_160648.jpg

1. Emphasize that this is Google Maps, the app that "everyone on the planet has already on their phone".  Not some weird new app we are asking them to install or something.

2. Yes, some people need to know that it is free and have it spelt out clearly (See point No4 above, just do it for them and leave.  They will eventually come around sooner or later.)

3. Explain how left out they will be if they are NOT on Google Maps.  Their competitor/friend/other someone IS on Maps....  Make sure (above point No7) they don't get stuck on some minor aspect not quite perfect yet.

4. In any objection, stick to "ok, let's just put the name and basics" as if you have an obligation to the rest of the planet to add or correct the listing.  It isn't up to the business owner or the venue, this is for the rest of us.

5. Avoid saying "I think" or "I want".  It is "we" all the way.  "We" all of us around the world that help improve Google Maps and we=every homo sapiens (dogs maybe soon, waiting for the right interface!) that want to move around the planet and know where everything is.  

6. Point out the bigger picture.  Better Maps save petrol, time, energy...they improve business and people connecting.  There is no downside.

7. Don't gloss over their counter-arguments.  Some people harp on about "Google knowing everything about us" or privacy concerns.  Go straight at them.  Maps are public, open to everyone and useful to everyone.  This isn't some proprietary little start up, this is an open platform on which the entire planet builds apps and plans their days or their adventures.

Leave them with YouTube videos or links whenever possible.  Whatever seems like a good fit for the particular person.  If they seem to know the basics, show stuff like how Maps hooks up with Google photos or something cool like that.     I show them the GB of space Google gave me for reaching Level 8....whatever works!

Hope this helps.  Even the most unsociable introverts amongst us might find the whole process fun.  ; )

PS Picture credits - top pic, my daughter trying to turn a static map into a Google maps (OK, at least it had some buttons),   bottom map - our kitchen mapping experience.

2 comments
Level 8

Re: How to get more people involved as Local Guides?

@AlexanderChalkidis

Hi,
I am sorry I missed your post earlier. It is a nice list with some useful tips and you made a nice job of it with your photos and all. 
Bit surprised I am the first to actually reply...one month later. The only feedback I have is that your title suggest you give tips on how to recruit Local Guides, whilst you confused me as reader a little bit, by talking about business owners so much. Of course, business owners (or staff) are not excluded from the LG program.

Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work.

Jeroen

Level 10

Re: How to get more people involved as Local Guides?

1. Despite features like suggesting relevant posts as you type etc, we still don't quite have an ideal way in this community to find stuff I think. Which is probably why nobody answered.  Because nobody saw it?  Some sort of analytics might help answer that.  ; )

2. In my region talking to people as business owners seems to help.  ie confusing the two!   A lot of people start with Local Guides to help their chum with the souvlaki place or the cute cafe.  ie "hey, I am tech savvy and will do something for you."