zixuan75's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How to create a category?

I want to create a new category called "Light Rail Station". How to create a category by giving Google Maps's suggestion? 

Please read this post before replying me! '''From --zixuan75'''
9025 Cameron Boulevard, Charlotte, NC, USA
13 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: How to create a category?

Hello,

Not everything you might want to make is necessary allowed on the base map.  An important rule for adding a place to the map is that it needs a proper name (not a description) and an appropriate category.

The rule of using a close category is correct if there are categories that are close that therefore let you know that it's a feature that is being accepted.  An example would be a Tesla dealership.  There are categories for Ford Dealer, Toyota Dealer, Honda Dealer, etc.; and also a generic Car Dealer.  Even though there is no Tesla Dealer, it is obvious that automotive dealerships are being accepted and thus you would add it with the category of Car Dealer.

Train stations are on the map, but as you have found they are not being accepted at this time.  This is because the entire transit layer was closed for editing several years ago.  It is thus not possible to submit such a feature, and we cannot advise you to use another category.  Unfortunately you will not be able to submit this in any way.

Google does allow transit authorities to submit their data, so the ones responsible for this station can partner with Google and share all their data.  This is how many cities are able to have the current transit schedules and how some cities are able to have live data; none of which would work if the public was editing features.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

@zixuan75 You can't create a new category. The best thing to do is select the closest category available to what you're trying to add. If that's still not available, try sending feedback to Maps.

Although, I do believe category 'Light Rail Station' should be available, as shown by the following listing. Can you try again to find it?

https://goo.gl/maps/jzY6t9pVerB2

Edit: Actually, forget what I said above. I just tried it myself and the category is not showing when I try to add a new place. It might be that we can't add a new train station (which kind of makes sense, since it's quite a critical location). Let me get back to you on this.

@Flash Since you're the Maps expert, any chance you know why we can't use train station (and the variations) as a category?

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

Not everything you might want to make is necessary allowed on the base map.  An important rule for adding a place to the map is that it needs a proper name (not a description) and an appropriate category.

The rule of using a close category is correct if there are categories that are close that therefore let you know that it's a feature that is being accepted.  An example would be a Tesla dealership.  There are categories for Ford Dealer, Toyota Dealer, Honda Dealer, etc.; and also a generic Car Dealer.  Even though there is no Tesla Dealer, it is obvious that automotive dealerships are being accepted and thus you would add it with the category of Car Dealer.

Train stations are on the map, but as you have found they are not being accepted at this time.  This is because the entire transit layer was closed for editing several years ago.  It is thus not possible to submit such a feature, and we cannot advise you to use another category.  Unfortunately you will not be able to submit this in any way.

Google does allow transit authorities to submit their data, so the ones responsible for this station can partner with Google and share all their data.  This is how many cities are able to have the current transit schedules and how some cities are able to have live data; none of which would work if the public was editing features.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

Thanks for the thorough explanation @Flash!

Level 7

Yes. i see the "Surbaban Train Line" then I selected it.

Level 7

@Flash wrote:

Hello,

yes. thank you

Level 7

@zixuan75 wrote:

@Flash wrote:

Hello,

yes. thank you

oh, they can, but i submitted that

Level 7

@iyudhi wrote:

@zixuan75 You can't create a new category. The best thing to do is select the closest category available to what you're trying to add. If that's still not available, try sending feedback to Maps.

Although, I do believe category 'Light Rail Station' should be available, as shown by the following listing. Can you try again to find it?

https://goo.gl/maps/jzY6t9pVerB2

Edit: Actually, forget what I said above. I just tried it myself and the category is not showing when I try to add a new place. It might be that we can't add a new train station (which kind of makes sense, since it's quite a critical location). Let me get back to you on this.

@Flash Since you're the Maps expert, any chance you know why we can't use train station (and the variations) as a category?

Yes. it still have it, like charlotte seventh street station: https://www.google.com/maps/place/7th+St+Station/@35.2278143,-80.8393613,18.5z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sv...

But just here that are @iyudhi.

Level 7

@iyudhi wrote:

Thanks for the thorough explanation @Flash!

@iyudhidoes it means you solved the flash's solution?

Connect Moderator

@zixuan75, I'm sorry, but you cannot add transit features.  Only Google can add them.