PaytLynn's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

How to contact another google guide

Hi guys, 

I'm trying to figure out how to reach out to another google guide. I'd like to back him up on something he posted about a company I have extensive experience with. Can anyone please  tell me how to do this? 

15 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to contact another google guide

Level 5

@ErmesT thank you, I wasn't wanting someones personal info, but thought maybe there was a way to connect with another google guide via google. I was just wanting to know if we had some form of chat or way to communicate with other reviewers via google guide. but thank you!

Connect Moderator

Level 10

Hi @PaytLynn you can click the username in the reviewand this should open the profile account that should contain a list of all the reviews that person wrote.

You can get the Google+ profile, that is different than the Local Guides profile,using Contributions profile on Maps to find the Google+ profile.
Google uses the same 21-digit unique numeric string to identify the Contributions profile on Maps and the Google+ profile.
Find the contributions profile and then copy the 21digit numeric id.
Add it to the end of this URL to find the Google+ profile.
From the Google+ profile you could be able to start an hangout with the user.
Level 7

@PaytLynn

I am assuming from your description of the situation that you already now the screen name of the local guide.

If that is the case you could try to send them a private message or even " friend " them.

You won't see much mention of these facilities on Local Connect 2.0 since it has been deliberately engineered to reduce the amount of interaction between local guides.

If you were a Local Guide before August 2018 you will probably remember that we were able to "like" each other's comments in discussion threads freely so as to show our support for particular postings.

All that has been gone and a once interactive forum has now turned us all into a captive audience.

If you want a detailed and honest response your best bet is to connect with one of the Local Guides who are Level 8 or above since they have the most relevant experience and will not put you down in the process.

That is what has always worked for me and it still does and - in most cases - they are extraordinarily friendly.

To contact another Local Guide just click on their name and scroll down to the part of the screen which offers you the option to send them a private message and to friend them.

I attach a screenshot which shows what this looks like :

pm-and-friend.png

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Level 9

Level 9

@LucioV where is the 21-digit unique numeric id that you mentioned in the Google Maps contributions profile? I couldn't see it on my partner's Google Maps contribution profile  🤔

As @ermest mentioned earlier that there is no way to connect or contact [yet] with other LG due to the privacy  reasons. 

Level 10

Check my contributions link, is in my signature, and shows the 21 digit I'd

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/114353918960699000354/

Level 7

@BTan

I have just been contacted by a Local Guide from Spain who has simply clicked on my name in a message and has then selected the option to contact me via private message.

Unfortunately it may take me a bit of time to get back to him as my Spanish is very rusty but I was at least able to ascertain that he was asking for a bit of help to find out my some of his edits were " no se aplica" ("not applied").

When someone contacts you via a Local Connect PM the subject line will say :

You have received a private message in the Local Guides Connect!

Those who have been appointed to "help" our fellow Local Guides may not be entirely familiar with all of the  functionality of the Local Connect System and so please be patient with those who genuinely try to advise without any of the canned responses or snark that it becoming so commonplace since the roll-out of Connect 2.0.

A lot of the information that could be posted publicly has not been or in some cases has even been secretly removed.

That is why I have had to archive some of the detailed postings of my own that have been deleted without warning (and entirely without my knowledge or consent) to an external blog where they are beyond the reach of censors working behind the scenes.

If you follow some of the comments in the threads about the "NOT APPLIED" issue and see the way in which Local Guides are being treated you will see why it is even more important for us to be able to contact each other for help since there is very little evidence of that coming from "official channels" anymore.

There are one or two moderators who are  exceptions to this  but - as the evidence of some of the threads makes clear - they too can find themselves coming under attack from the same moderators that are giving this forum a very bad name.

How long the various VPs are prepared to stand back and allow this  kind of  unwarranted and  counter-productive behaviour to continue is anybody's guess ...

Not all of us are kiddults who can be   so easily pacified  by  an offer of free ice cream.

😞

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■