Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to capture your own Street View

Caption: A screenshot of a Street View image that shows a black car driving down a snow-covered road surrounded by trees and a blue house behind a fence on the left in Kholuy, Russia. (Local Guide @METR)Caption: A screenshot of a Street View image that shows a black car driving down a snow-covered road surrounded by trees and a blue house behind a fence on the left in Kholuy, Russia. (Local Guide @METR)Millions of people look at Street View to find the places they want to go and discover more about the world around them. Street View is particularly important in places in the world that are changing rapidly. By documenting your adventures with 360 imagery, you're helping others just like you.

Here are some ways you can contribute to Street View.

1. Interval Mode

This is a great option to capture small sequences in open spaces or indoors.

What you’ll need: the latest version of the Street View app and a camera that uses the Street View App to publish.

If your camera is compatible with the Street View app, you can use Interval Mode to capture a series of 360 photos automatically, at a regular interval. These photos can then be automatically connected if the Geotag 360 photos feature is turned on in your settings on the Street View app. The photos published using this option will show up on your contributions page.

Contributors using Interval Mode may appear to have similar photos, depending on the landscape. That’s because a photo is taken approximately every 10 feet.

For more information, check out this guide to setting up and connecting 360 cameras.

2. Video Mode
By using this feature, you can take a 360 video with your camera and the Street View app will turn it into a series of connected Street View photos covering your route.

What you’ll need: the latest version of the Street View app for Android and a Ricoh Theta V camera. This functionality is currently only available for Level 6+ Local Guides and Street View Trusted Photographers.

Like in Interval Mode, photos published using this method might appear similar to one another. The Ricoh Theta V takes about five 360 photos per second.

For more information, check out this guide to  using Video Mode with the Street View app.

3. Street View Ready Cameras

Cameras that have this distinction can create and publish 360 imagery directly on Google Maps through their own applications.

What you’ll need: a Street View Ready camera.

For more information, check out these tips for capturing 360 videos for Street View.

No matter which method you choose, your contributions may appear as a blue line on Google Maps helping others to navigate through Street View and get to know new places.

Happy 360 snapping!

Google Maps Street View trusted Team

42 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to capture your own Street View

Hi @Anonymous

Thank you for an informative post! 

I have a question. Is it possible that in some regions the feature of creating blue line is not available?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @JaneBurunina!

The quality of GPS in the area, the extent of the collect and the distance between the photos may interfere in blue line formation.

For collects made with Video Mode or Street View Ready cameras, we advise that the collect covers more than 40m on the map. And in interval capture, the distance between each photo shouldn't be higher than 3 meters. 🙂

Best,
Nayara

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks NayaraA very interesting, that's what I need to start my activity as street view photographer.

Level 10

Hi, @Anonymous,

Thank you for introducing my photo.

And I would like to answer @JaneBurunina 's question from a somewhat maniac perspective.

- -

When you walked slowly on a clear day where the outdoor scenery looked wide and uploaded a picture taken using the interval mode,
You can easily create a Street View of the blue line.
Also, if you upload a video with sufficient length, you will easily become blue line Street View unless it is a video shot in a place where GPS information can not be obtained.
Please refer to NayaraA's information and other official information for the right thing.

However, you may not be able to make blue lines as you expect.

I think that you may have experienced that you can not make the Street View of the blue line even if you upload 360 degree photographs taken inside the room or tunnel.
Since GPS information can not be obtained in such a place, it is not possible to use the video mode which is very convenient to create a blue line.

It seems that judgment as to whether it can easily make blue line depends on whether it is indoor or tunnel or not.
And it seems that the judgment of whether it is indoors is judged by the contents itself of the photograph, not the place information (coordinates or listing name).
The place where the sky does not look wide, such as in the tunnel, indoor, building town, forest where trees are overhanging, is a place hard to become a blue line.

However, if more than half of the photos in the same listing contain wide sky, it seems that all the photos can be blue line Street View.
That way I made a lot of blue lines indoors and tunnels.

https://goo.gl/maps/k74PNdQRphB2

https://goo.gl/maps/BQZ4419qmQM2
https://goo.gl/maps/voYJ168RuZC2

I am photographing and studying to examine limitations and boundary values ​​of Street View functions provided by Google.
I would be pleased if my research would be useful for you.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Street-View-Discussion/Make-the-Street-View-in-the-tunnel-or-building-a-blue-line/m-p/1231161#M28772

-  - 

Another thing I noticed.
If the use of the iframe tag is NOT TOTALLY prohibited, would you allow that for a specific level of Local Guide as well?
https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Street-View-Discussion/HTML-error-in-embedding-VT/m-p/1238794/highlight/true#M28952

The ability to embed Street View in comments is very attractive.
I also hope that the day when that function can be used as before will come.

best regards,

potaro67

I want notice to @LucioV

Connect Moderator

Hi @potaro67

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. Results of your research is very interesting and useful.

I was impressed with your video shoots, especially in the cave and tunnel. I 'had to drive' your car a long to get out of the tunnel! ))

Best wishes,

Jane

Level 8

What you’ll need: the latest version of the Street View app for Android and a Ricoh Theta V camera.

So no way for iPhone users to contribute?!

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Anonymous this is quute helpful and apt. 

Connect Moderator

Great post @Anonymous and how cool you featured one of my Street View blue line captures 🙂 Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hi @potaro67 Google Admins, Google Moderators and Connect Moderators are still able to use the <iframe> tag. It was removed for security as allowing it makes it very easy to include unwanted scripts or content into Connect that could compromise data or appearance. Its unfortunate that it had to go. Perhaps a different way to achieve similar functionality along the lines of the embed video button could come in the future.

Just to let you know he's not ignoring you, Lucio is no longer on Connect so will not be able to reply to you.

Regards Paul