Elaa's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Re: How to add an Offshore installation to google maps?

That makes sense, good response.

Level 10

Hi @Elaa as you can see there is at least a suitable category for buoys: https://goo.gl/maps/ztsYpE6Mz872 (I've NOT added this place, but it's really useful for sailors like me when approaching the area without any other cartographic aids).

In English this POI category is "Boat Storage Facility"

Level 8

Facility denotes a structure and associated items for storing boats . Morrings or Bouys are not storage as when you're using a boat you're not storing it. So it's not an appropriate category to be used. @FintoCubano was on the money with this one. 

Level 10

HI @Andrew_Sawyer thanks for pitching in 😉

I've reported just one example in real world where this category is used for buoys. Sometimes the term "storage" does not mean exactly "included in a building", and these buoys field could be booked, they have a phone number and management, so I think that is a nice way to improve maps. But, as sailor, I have to admit that Google Maps is not exactly the right tool for navigation purposes.

We are all here to improve the maps, and increase the usability and utility worldwide.

Maps is full of spammy entries we all work to remove; I think that there is something really good in adding buoys facilities to maps. These are real entries, and definetively mappable (expecially when they belong to an organization with a phone number and a booking system, as it's always, for the biggest buoys fields).

I can't imagine arguments against adding useful and real POIs to map, if we don't want to talk again about trust level, maps integrity, database coherence, Google cloud, Google Spanner etc. etc.

Sincerely, with great appreciation for your work, have a nice day guys, and happy GUIDING and MAPPING. 😉

Level 8

Well as a sailor you would know that the purpose of the category you propose is when the boat is being stored out of water so that it's not immediately available as opposed to mooring or docking a boat. Sometimes Google doesn't want to map things and this is most likely one of those situations. 

Level 10

Not necessarily a boat should be "recovered" in a covered housing. And sometimes Google Maps simply needs a suggestion for new categories, suggestions that are not taken in charge from standard feedback, as we all know. Fair winds (and calm seas)!

Connect Moderator

Not necessarily a boat should be "recovered" in a covered housing
To use that category they need to be. That category definitely should not be used to try to get a feature that breaks so many different rules of the map onto the map. Even a new category wouldn't help; since, as already stated, buoys and navigation aids have many other reasons why they would not be permitted beyond the lack of an appropriate category. We need to be clear that someone should not be attempting to work around the rules of the map to add such a feature; that could put someone's account in jeopardy.
Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@Flash, @Andrew_Sawyer , @TimB_

Thanks for your valuable involvement guys. 

I have already tried most of the points as mentioned by you all. And the only honest intention of starting this discussion is to know, how to get this unmappable things mapable, how to get Such world wide navigational map utility for my fellow seamen too, which could be a reference during coastal navigation...?!!

Yes Mr @Flash , you are right, that such sea related stuff are custommable and present in onboard plotting aids. But My intention as a google local guide is to get this custom Map accessable to public, as a part of improving the utility to more users.

As everybody was saying, Mr. @LucioV ' s Boat storage facility is not the right category, and its again a nearly reasonable category, and google has seemingly to have accepted it at some offshore facilities. Hence, i would like to appreciate his involvement. 

But together as local guides our whole intention is to get the right category and solution for the discussion if available, and a way to get it to Google's notice.

Stay connected & stay smiling ☺️👍

Connect Moderator

Hi @Elaa,

google has seemingly to have accepted it at some offshore facilities.

Every edit made to the map cannot be checked to be 100% correct.  For everything not allowed on the map you will find examples of it somewhere added either by mistake or maliciously, thus you can't use finding something on the map as proof it's allowed to be on the map.

And to be clear, Lucio's example is located on land in a building.  I took it to be either a dry land storage facility or the offices of the place that rents out bouys, either of which is mappable if it's a staffed location.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Hi @Flash ,

I personally feel these criteria of staffed locations is a mirrage , the ATM centers are all not manned, public loos are all not manned. But yes they are in land and people may need to reach there and google may be a tool.to find them.

In the same way, my point is y not these offshore points to be mapped. 

If getting them mapped is a milestone on this applications progress, i feel we all must think how it can be done in a prosperous way. 🤝😎