AdrianLunsong's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: How to Prepare for a Meet-up Submission

Absolutely helpful post - bookmarked! Thanks, Adrian!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Connect Moderator

You're welcome @Linnéa and all the best for your meet-up! Thanks @LucioV and @SP31

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 9

Thanks @AdrianLunsong, sharing information is very much helpful especially for first timers or pros, as they say there is always a room for improvement. I organised my first meet-up to be hosted soon this month, but the problem is to find the correct people to attend as it appears that here in South Africa we do have active local guides which also appears here on connect but they are not available for meet-ups or they do not get the message at all, I know that dividing people by groups sometimes is not a good idea, but for me it seems like if we were to be divided by groups based on on our country of residents that will be helpful to see if this suggest that we do not have participants from South Africa here or not, which results in a poor communication to organised meet-ups, if meet-ups organised to be hosted in a specific area can appear on a profile of each and every individual residing from that same country or may be and same city when they first login to connect, that will make it  easy for them to find it or see it, not that you have to search for it to see it. A home page is a solution which will contain notifications or recent posts for the rest of post on connect or your local people based on your country of residents or city. 

This makes it difficult for people of that specific country to meet or know each other here on connect as there is no way to identify one another except that a person mention it on a post or any event. May be it must be posted as an idea and share it there as it has been mentioned on hangout.

I hope this will make life easy to spread the word for a meet-up to be hosted near by.

Level 10

Hi @AdrianLunsong,

I hope you are doing fine.

Very interesting post with lot of tips. Congratulations!

Thanks a lot for sharing

Jul

Connect Moderator

I hear you @Raphael-Mahumane!! It's the same challenge we all go through. To be fair to Google, you can go and find meet-ups local to you by visiting this page. But that puts the onus on the individual to find meet-ups and there's no option to push/notify people in the local area. And where I am, I know that loads of people do not use Connect often, if at all. 

So for me, I still have to use all the social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram etc) to advertise my meet-ups. Eventbrite is fairly popular here so I do advertise there from time to time. It's got no fees as long as your event is free too.

Also this is something that you can feedback to Google about. Add it to the Idea Exchange board! 😎

Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
Connect Moderator

Thanks @Julien44 and @davidhyno. Glad its got your thumbs up of approval!!! 

Level 9

Great post @AdrianLunsong, very useful to have. I wish I had know all this information 2 years ago with all the failed meet-ups I've had! 😉

So glad was able to help a little with this post! 😉 

@Linnéa glad you got your meet up live and accepted! 

Manchester UK Local Guides: https://goo.gl/tBYxXm (Come Join us!)
Level 8

Thank you @TimBull 🙂

Level 8

Wow @AdrianLunsong I wish this post was available before i requested for my Meet-up and i would have avoided all the anxiety and sweaty hands while typing my request. Is there a way where this post can be pinned so it doesn't get lost?