ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

How to -Local Guides Clean the World - Education for teenagers

Introduction: I have been requested to write a short guideline for sharing Google Maps and LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld actions for students from 13 to 19. There is a lot more to write, so please consider this as an open space, where to share your Suggestions too

Teenage is one of the most exciting part of the life. Technology have no secrets for them, they use a smartphone much better than many of us, they use Social Media Channels in a natural way.

That’s why, talking about Clean the World in a school is so exciting: we can show them some of the tool that they can use for recording and documenting the Clean the World experience.

Clean the World can be a challenge, for achieving great results.

Caption: A patch of colorful plastic caps covers the beach on the morning of January 1st 2018Caption: A patch of colorful plastic caps covers the beach on the morning of January 1st 2018

Tools:

Google offer to us for free a wide range of tools, that we can use for planning and documenting our Clean the World activities:

• Google Photo, where we can store our photos and videos for free, in high quality. With Google photo we can also create a Blog style post, adding our contents in the album
  • Google Documents, provide to us a full set, for text editing (Google Docs), managing data (Google sheets) and publishing the results (Google slides)
  • Google MyMaps, an intriguing tool that can be used for creating a personal Map, adding videos, photos and link in there. The MyMaps master of LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld project, David Tito, is available for tips and triks about how to use it. Here is his worldwide “Mymaps of plastic pollution
  • Google Earth, one of the best way to learn and explore our planet. It is possible also to import data from Google MyMaps, for creating a dynamic exploration.
  • Google Maps, of course, and Local Guides Connect, our community, where to share our experience of Local Guides

Actions:

With this set of tool in our hand, we can plan a lot of different activities, in classroom and outdoor (on field)

In classroom:

• What is plastic pollution? We can find a lot of online resources, just with a simple Google search. This post, about the  the Related Media News, will also show articles, highlighet by Local Guides, about the Subject.
  • Best practices, will give you a list of examples, written by Local Guides, about how every country is managing Pollution and recycle.
  • We can make a study and identify “what is critic in my area?”
  • We can make a search about the 3R (Re-duce - Re-cycle - Re-use”
  • Why Local Guides Clean the World” program? There are already several associations, working locally or globally, that fight plastic pollution, so Wy?

Because we are Local, So we know the territory, working Globally, exchanging experience and supporting each other. We created a logo to have a single and clear identity, a flag made by Local Guides for Local Guides. You can download the logo here

• Planning a search: after discussing the peculiarity of the area, we can make a plan about what we want to do “on field”
  • Reporting: after the field activity, we should prepare some documentation, that, depending of the action, can be:
    • Create a spreadsheet of what we found (what, how much, where)
    • Making a photoalbum of the experience
    • Writing a post about the experience.
    • Share our experience on Local Guides Connect and in Social Channels, with the hashtag #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld

LGCTW T-Shirt for #CleanValnerinaLGCTW T-Shirt for #CleanValnerina

On Field:

• Identify and Documenting a polluted area. Taking photo and add in on a Mymaps, for future actions
  • Cleaning and Reporting. During the cleanup action, students can Take not of what they collected, and fill a spreadsheet. @DavidTito can share a spreadsheet they used in a recent meet-up

Of course, this is only a short guideline

Add your experience, or your ideas, in replying to this post

Note: Thank you to @manulele81 (for making that beautiful t-shirt)

[EDIT: I am adding an interesting and helpfull video about the life of a plastic bottle]

27 comments
Level 8

Re: How to -Local Guides Clean the World - Education for teeneagers

Wonderful introduction @ErmesT for HEF School Pakistan and yes a short guideline and Let us continue with this to help with the Data collection and spreadsheet information entry...

"How to -Local Guides Clean the World - Education for teenagers Data Spread Sheet"

Planning

What can be made of recycled plastic?

Suggestions:

When plastic bottles are recycled they can be made into lots of things: t-shirts, sweaters, fleece jackets, insulation for jackets and sleeping bags, carpeting and more bottles. It takes about 10 bottles to make enough plastic fiber to make a cool new t-shirt. It takes 63 bottles to make a sweater.

Who Are We?:

Local Guide Volunteers who Desire nothing more than to make a World A better place from all walks of life.

Education & Document Your Research:

summerise your Task below fill out the appropriate boxes 

Additional Data Entry

in a Group reference with what Data is found to correspond Google Maps Coordinates

An Overview of Plastic Recycling

Plastic recycling industry associations are the bodies responsible for promoting plastic recycling, enabling members to build and maintain relationships among plastic recyclers, and lobbying with government and other organizations to help create the best possible environment for the plastic recycling industry.

Goals: 

ingage with social Media and deploy [Recap] of you completion for Worldwide Public Media 

AChievements:

Google Photo Album:

Link Google photo album

Youtube Video

And I will add all your details into The MapHere 

Thank you for Watching 

@ErmesT and Myself @DavidTito

Level 8

Level 10

Rif.: How to -Local Guides Clean the World - Education for teeneagers

Good work dear @ErmesT ! Given then that they are children (and still understand much better than the adults! ) I would also focus on how many years it takes for the planet earth to absorb in a natural way a simple plastic cap or a cigarette butt! An astronomical number of years .... this should perhaps help us all to understand the damage we are doing!

Bye,

Davide

Connect Moderator

@DavidTito simply fantastic David. Thanks for share that useful post. 

Because now I can make print outs from your post  to collect the data, and when I will be on the field, I mean for LGCTW campaign on any of Karachi 's beach, these printouts will be useful for me and also other useful things which you shared in that post.

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Google Moderator

Hi @ErmesT,

And thanks for the mention @DavidTito. 🙂

Really like the approach you're suggesting, @ErmesT. Honestly, I think that participants of all ages will find it engaging, not just teenagers!

Wonderful how-to article overall, I feel that even I, with my teeny-tiny organisational and teaching experience, can deliver a pretty decent lecture if I follow your tips.

Good luck to all Local Guides involved in the CleanTheWorld campaign, and especially to those, preparing to launch this initiative in Karachi and Islamabad!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @ermest,

A very interesting topic thank you so much for sharing!

As Gandhi said, "let's be the change that you want to see in the world".

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Fantastic work @ErmesT ad @DavidTito you are really doing something that could change the world in a large scale!

Connect Moderator

Rif.: How to -Local Guides Clean the World - Education for teeneagers

Agree with you @davidhyno

about the time that the planet will need to absorb the pollution.

Spread the message, and give an example, can help to educate the new generation. The damage already done is not reversible, but we need to stop, and to keep in mind that we are not damaging the planet, we are simply erasing the human being from the planet.

It doesn't make a big difference for the planet, but it will make a big difference for the possible future generations

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing the spreadsheet you used in your last "Clean The World" meet-up, @DavidTito

It is a good reference for what a school can build up and use.

Tagging @AlejandraMaria for further suggestions