SamuelCalifornia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

How large should a community be?

Is there a guideline in terms of how large a community should be?

There is a Los Angeles community. Los Angeles County has about 10 million people. The San Fernando Valley, with nearly 2 million people, of Los Angeles County has a tendency to get lost and ignored within the Los Angeles area. Would it be appropriate to have a separate community?

There are relevant details. There are also the San Grabriel Valley (about one and a half million), Santa Clarita Valley (about a quarter million) and Antelope Valley (about half million). I am not sure what to do with them if the San Fernando Valley was separate. Perhaps it would be appropriate to have a northern Los Angeles.

Los Angeles, CA, United States
3 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: How large should a community be?

I agree with @iyudhi, it's debatable. I've felt from Day One of seeing the LA Community that it was a bit of a catch-all for any space between Santa Barbara and San Diego, heading all the way East to San Bernadino. 

We also discussed having a slew of sub-areas listed within the LA Community, but there was concern that it'd fragment things and simply prove problematic.

There's nothing stopping anyone from creating unofficial communities for the areas you described!

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

It's debateable. I'd say get in touch with a few people from the Los Angeles community and discuss it. You don't want it to be too big that most of the content aren't relateable to most people, but not too small so that you don't get enough activity on the community.

For example the San Francisco bay area community was thinking of splitting into a few smaller region (San Francisco, South Bay, East Bay, Peninsula, North Bay), but that might spread out the community a bit too much. It's still a bit unclear where the middle ground is. The community is still trying to figure it out.

Another thing that we can explore right now is to get more people to use Local Guides Connect. If people are using the location tag correctly, it might work to find Local Guides within the targeted region. Basically if you create a post with a tagged location, Local Guides that set that location when registering for the program will be able to see the posts in their home stream.

Level 8
Solution

I agree with @iyudhi, it's debatable. I've felt from Day One of seeing the LA Community that it was a bit of a catch-all for any space between Santa Barbara and San Diego, heading all the way East to San Bernadino. 

We also discussed having a slew of sub-areas listed within the LA Community, but there was concern that it'd fragment things and simply prove problematic.

There's nothing stopping anyone from creating unofficial communities for the areas you described!

Level 6

Thank you @JR_Curley and @iyudhi. I apologize for not replying sooner, I did not see any notification of replies. I will look into what I need to do about that.