hainesloplist's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

How does one avoid jury duty?

Ive been summons and I really have no good excuse as to why I cant go. I just don't want to go. How can I avoid it 

Los Angeles, CA, USA
4 comments
Level 2

Re: How does one avoid jury duty?

Don't do it. It is your duty and possibility to judge in complicated cases, to make justice happen. Litigation is an exhausting process. It is not easy to have a jury hearing for a plaintiff seeking justice in court, relying on falks decision, not lawyers'. One day you maybe the one. Good luck!

Level 4

It is a civic duty to serve on a jury, unless you have a valid excuse you are unlikely to be excused, and simply not wanting to do it is not a valid reason.

Level 5

Im wondering why you dont want to do Jury Duty? (Like most)

However, have you ever thought that You alone may have insight or knowledge pertaining to what the case is about? That it might be You, who saves a life, because you got that knowledge? Would you want someone like you on your jury? Do you want someone on your jury who has no idea about Constitutonal Rights, Street/Drug lifestyles, or Court processes altogether?

I certainly dont want someone on my jury who falls asleep, has no actual idea of any thing pertaining to the alledged crime, or who is easily influenced by others, in order to get out of the jury deliberation room quickly just cuz they want to.

Theres also the chance that just cuz they told you to report for jury duty, you wont get selected anyhow...depends on what they ask you and what you answer.

Hope this helps in some way.

LG

Level 7

Is it federal or county? I was summoned last year for Federal over an hour and a half drive away so obviously I didn't want to go. The only ways around it were medical conditions, being the sole caregiver for a minor/elder/ill person, proven prior out of state travel arrangements and some very rare scenarios. I ended up going anyway since travel distance qualified me for overnight stay. I got a hotel and I got compensated for my time. All in all it was actually and interesting and fun experience, you should go. Not only is it a civic duty but it is a learning experience.

P.S. Don't forget to review the courthouse facilities for future recruited jurors!

P.S.S: Suddenly imagined finding a ridiculous courthouse review like: 1 Star, got convicted, would not recommend. *Giggles*