Katamay's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

How do you "rate" something like a cemetery?

I recently added a historic cemetery in my town to Google Maps. I'm glad that people can find it now! But then there's the matter of writing a review. I know it's nice to add things like accessibility, maybe any interesting history, etc, but how does one "rate" a cemetery? It feels weird to say "Oh, only four stars because quite a few of the old stones from 200 years ago have fallen over," when newer replacements would make it less historic. I don't know, what do you think?

3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How do you "rate" something like a cemetery?

Jello @Katamay,

I have already rated a cemetery.

Of course it can be related to accessibility, but in fact the old once were not prepared for this. 

In my opinion it is somehow related to the feeling you can achieve their. The people are only in a different step of being (at least from a Theological perspective). 

And as well about the history you are able to feel here. I have already visited places, where in fact the most impressive was a cementery.

118 reviews....118 reviews....

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

@Katamay I would rate a cemetery (which I have) based on the upkeep of the grounds, the available parking, and like you said, history, famous graves. 

Level 8

Good question @Katamay. Like @N4speed77 I rate cemeteries for similar things. I am sure it depends on what you value or appreciate as a visitor. The cemetery may be of interest historically or because of famous people buried there, or it may be of interest artistically - Victorian or Art Deco monuments and memorials - or artistically because it has a gothic feel!  It may be part of beautiful parkland or have a stunning view.

But I also take note of amenities. Things like toilets, shelter, and tap water. Family members cleaning graves appreciate access to water to fill their buckets, wash their cloths, or to wash their hands after cleaning a headstone.

If I have given a particular rating I will clarify this somewhat in the review, and include the information in the review of what I liked, and what perhaps to be aware of if visiting - such as lack of signage, where the parking is, how difficult it is to find. I have also pre-empted questions regarding hours by updating these in the information. Quite a few times I have seen family members post a question about whether the cemetery is open if they want to visit a family grave at a certain time.