PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

How do you know when its safe to drink local tap water when travelling?

Bottled or tap water?Bottled or tap water?When you're travelling or you've moved home how do you know it's safe to drink the tap water? I absolutely hate buying bottled water when I can avoid it because it contributes to environmental pollution through both plastic waste and emissions, costs an enormous amount of energy to produce  and transport. Generally isn't actually more healthy or better for you in most places around the world. Some bottled water when tested has even been found to have negative health effects.

If you support the need to know and to make better personal choices that have a significant impact on the environment then please visit and vote for my idea to include this information on Maps https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/All-Ideas/Showing-areas-where-its-safe-to-drink-tap-water-on-t...

Thanks for your support.

10 comments
Level 10

Re: How do you know when its safe to drink local tap water when travelling?

Nice idea @PaulPavlinovich and I support using less plastic bottles. I drink tap water as much as I can.

In saying that, local people from different countries and cities can tolerate things that they have been used to. If they add to your suggested map idea, it could be misleading to others. I know people that live in countries that can tolerate water from taps and street food, but a visitor would definitely get sick.

Putting a marker on maps would be very misleading in my mind.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Google Moderator

What a great idea @PaulPavlinovich !

Now that you've mentioned, I don't know if the water is safe, so I always buy bottled water wherever I travel. Somehow I do not trust the local tap water. Even where I live, water is not suitable for drinking and people are obliged to buy bottled mineral water which is not only bad for the environment but it can get expensive too.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

It is an interesting thought @TheEagleEye I've drunk tap water anywhere in the world that the locals do and haven't had an issue, granted I could have been lucky. Even in some countries where they don't I've used a life straw https://www.lifestraw.com/ which will get rid of nearly anything from water.

Connect Moderator

Indeed @MoniDi it is interesting that people will pay $5 for less than 1 litre where they could have it for free or nearly (tap water is $3 for 1000 litres here).

Some mineral waters have very low pH which can make them dangerous to health.

Level 10

Thanks for reply @PaulPavlinovich and I had never heard of the Lifestraw. I've travelled 63 countries and drink tap water (try at least) and got very sick in Thailand. I've drunk tap water throughout the Middle East but some of my colleagues haven't tolerated it.

I support anything that gets rid of plastic bottles and other waste. 

In regards to your initial idea, it is good idea although I'm unsure Google Maps would want to litigate themselves if people did get sick or worse.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Connect Moderator

I imagine Google would protect themselves in the same way they protect themselves from our reviews - it is User Contributed Content the ultimate responsibility is ours @TheEagleEye 

Level 10

Dear @PaulPavlinovich your post reminded me of my recent visit to Burliyar, Coonoor,  Tamilnadu. It is located on mountain top,  most tourist do trucking. 

Here I tasted mountain springs, very pure and taste natural sweet. The best water I have ever taste.  I live in Chennai,  metropolitan city but we have water  scarcity we buy bottle water for cooking and drinking.  We know it's not tasty and healthy. As of now we have no other alternative. 

So my recommendation is if you are on a mountain and found a spring. Without any second thought you can drink.  Because they are pure and not polluted. 

I am also excited to see others response.  

Connect Moderator

Hi @JohnPeter yes I used bottled water when I visited Chennai because locals had warned me. 

I've been known to drink from wilderness rivers and streams too. In some places parasites likes Giardia duodenalis can cause internal infection if you ingest it.

Regards Paul

Level 10

Wow @PaulPavlinovich  great to know about your experience in Chennai and other part of the world.  

Hope during your next visit to Chennai you can meet local guides to explore together. 

Waiting to see your suggestions and experiences