BruceDM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

How do you get around your hometown?

Hello Local Guides!

I’m curious what the main modes of transportation in your city look like!  I imagine we all have very different or interesting ways of getting around town. I thought it would be fun to share a couple of ways people get around my hometown of New York City!

The New York City Subway has both underground and above-ground trains that help millions of commuters get where they need to go everyday.  The subways run 24 hours a day!

Credit: NY Daily NewsCredit: NY Daily News

As New York City is so large, we also have plenty of buses to get us around town and especially the areas where the trains do not run.

Credit: Google ImagesCredit: Google Images

Many New Yorkers also use bikes to get around since there are so many bridges and streets with bike accessible lanes!

Credit: NY Daily NewsCredit: NY Daily News

Some of us even need to take a ferry to get to into the city!

Credit: NYCgo.comCredit: NYCgo.com

So tell me, how do you get around your hometown!

P.S. If you're able to, don't forget to contribute content (e.g photos/reviews/check the facts) to any of the transportation methods you share. More points for you!

I am not available to respond on the weekend
New York, NY, United States
18 comments
Level 10

Re: How do you get around your hometown?

I love this post @BruceDM :). If I  am not driving, I get around town with a bus, we have BRT buses in my city, which is the fastest means of transportation going to work or anywhere if there are no traffics at all on the roads in my city. The brt buses have a dedicated lane that motorist can't ply except the BRT buses. I will love to show you how a BRT bus looks like in my city, so I would be sharing one sooner also, so you can see as well. I also don't forget to check facts as well and also describing it's features like accessibility as well, and add a photo so also writing a review to give a lot of people a helping information as well. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Level 6

Driving my car, always driving!

Level 4

Around my town having no public transportation I drive everywhere I go.  There are very few taxi services, but very few.  There are also private transportation companies which mainly deal with disabled to get them around to doctor visits etc...

Former Google Contributor

Love this topic because true enough, modes of transport used by locals is almost always the first thing I research about whenever I visit somewhere I've never been. 

Unlike New York, Singapore is tiny! Most places are accessible by MRT (Mass Rapid Transit), buses, cars or even foot. Just the other day, a friend and I walked from somewhere North East of Singapore to the central region!

People do use bicycles to get around, but mostly short distances only to another place nearby. Bike sharing services (like Mobike, oBike, Ofo) became available in Singapore recently, so yes, we are seeing more people are commuting via these bikes! @IlankovanT visited some time ago and tried one of these bike services. 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Googler

I'd love to hear how folks in Italy get around as I've always thought about it being via motorcycles and small cars, from what I've seen here on Connect and on TV. Is that true, @LucioV?

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

@TraciC wrote:

I'd love to hear how folks in Italy get around as I've always thought about it being via motorcycles and small cars, from what I've seen here on Connect and on TV. Is that true, @LucioV?

Nice question @TraciC and great thread @BruceDM!

In effect everything changes from big cities (actually Rome, Milan, Naples and, maybe, Turin and Florence).

Some cities have performing public transportation (Milan, Turin), or are so little you can walk across the center in half an hour (Florence).

Then we have Rome and Naples, and this is a whole different story; i will write about Rome, and @DanielaBP will write about Naples (although she is an anomalous citizen, without driving license!!!).

In Rome, 99% of locals use their own vehicles.

This is a shame, but we have a public transportation system that is a complete failure; only two and half subway lines, and ground vehicles that are always stuck somewhere or they are on fire (literally!).

Many people use motorscooters, that help to get wherever you want in reasonable time.

I bought a car yesterday, after around 9 months i tried to get rid of a private vehicle, but i had to.

I used any kind of shared vehicles; this is a service that is growing up and there is some useful concurrency, we have eCooltra an electric scooter that i love, and i always use when i have to go in the center of Rome.

We have Fiat 500 Enjoy, and Smart Car2Go, we have a little electric car called ShareNGo.

I dream about a city closed to private vehicles, full of Google Cars at the push of a button on your smartphone, no smog, no traffic jams.

I hope to live enough to see this happen!!!

Anyway, i'm lucky enough to live not so far from the center and very close to one of the main green areas of the city, so i can go almost weherever i want by walk 🙂

That's the way a LG move (fast) in Rome using a 3 wheel scooter (Mp3, from Enjoy, now discontinued): have a look in glorious 360!

Level 8

Hi @TraciC!

And hi to my dearest @LucioV, and to everyone else, of course.

Well, @LucioV tells the truth: I haven't got a driven license, for protecting my self and other Neapolitan citizens (ahahahahahah), but clearly I know something about my city drive habits.

Here in Naples everyone has got a car (small, large, Suv, Smart, old, older, new or newer) but everyone use cars, and it so awful to me, above all because in the last ten years in which our Metro (the Tube) has been so improved that cars can be left for sure in garages!

But another thing that Neapolitan citizens love the most are: Vespa, Scooters and "scooteroni" that are bigger scooters of course, and motorbikes too!

Here in Naples we are crowded by them!

Drive in Naples is - I only suppose this, eh!!! ahahahah!!!! - very difficult, even if we are the best drivers in Italy, that only because we don't love too much to respect all the laws!!! but maybe not all of them are necessary! 

Googler

Thank you both, @LucioV and @DanielaBP for sharing this insight into Rome and Naples. I can just imagine it if I close my eyes. 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

Dearest @TraciC hopefully some days you'll be in Italy with us!! Maybe we can do a girl's day without my beloved @LucioV #girlsjustwannahavefun